Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Some quick Updates on Central valley Riding (the Long Ridge!).

Sugarloaf North-The Stream beds are gushing, and there are some slippery spots (and a monster blowdown/ throwdown) on the old stream bed fire road, but all in all the trails are riding very nice and are ready to roll.

The Deerfield Ridge/ Erberlushea trails: The technical trails are slippery, but clear of debris and ready to roll (that is, if you are). And the twisty cruisers: Donut Blaster, Blueberry and the Williams Brothers' Trail are also in excellent shape. The old Double Tracks and jeep roads are their usual Early Spring selves, lots of 'deeper than it looks standing water', Gushing streams, and rutted mud (the top of the sand road is best avoided). All in all, these trails are read to ride, just watch your lines (and front wheels) on the double track.

Greenfield Ridge/ Poet Seat. Still a little soft on the main trail up from High Street and the long single tracks on the east facing cliffs of poet's seat should be treaded on lightly. All the really rocky trails on Sachem's Head are good to go. Watch the muddy sections on the old green trail. Again, with some caution the G-field ridge is ready to ride.

Early reports are that Wendell is still very wet and soft, and this week's rain won't make it better, so please hold off a week or two from riding here (I'm sure B-Street will more than suffice to meet the early season technical needs of the Valley's rippers. That's it so Far-hope to see everyone out on the world class trails of Western Massachusetts...where God mountain Bikes.

Liam

mtbr member
    I hit Ludlow today and did a pretty easy 5mile loop that we call Beaver Run as it goes past a couple of beaver dams. I need to find some new trails. I'm a teacher so I'm off this week and I plan on hitting Bachelor probably tomorrow and then Robinson on Thursday or Friday. I'm still a bit of a newbie as I only rediscovered MTB last summer but love it and I'm open for anything.

Any other Western MA riders looking for a ride this week at any time, lemme know. You show me a new trail and I'll show you some of the Ludlow ones.

mtbr member
    My Sette at one of the dams today. Crap photo taken with a cellphone.

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Great pedals! lol
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom
    Great pedals! lol

Xpedo Faceoffs THE BEST! lol Just needs a little lube every 20mins.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    There's some awesome riding in and around Hatfield, Deerfield area. Also Hawley State Forest is incredible. There seems to be some kind of weird "these trails are off limits" kind of vibe you might get from some people if you ask about riding in Hawley. Don't really understand it, but some friends and I have been working on mapping the trails with G.P.S. to make it easier for people who haven't ridden there. Get back to me here if you want to hook up and ride sometime.

Where do you ride in Hatfield?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Earl's

EarlsJason

More Earl's

glennabellabeam

B-street

Img_0385

More B-street

Img_0227

East Mountain in Westfield

Img_0101

Robinson

boomerjc

More Robinson

minisw1

where are ya riding here?

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by srquill
    where are ya riding here?

The first 4 are from the area you mentioned in your other thread. The trails near the Bunker & reservoir are "Earl's Trails". If you cross over the notch, there is a road on the left. Take it then take anopther left on Batchelor St. There is a parking lot on the left after the power lines.

OR

Join us Saturdays at 9. PVNEMBA Saturday mornings 9:00 at the Notch Visitor's Center in Amherst

mtbr member
    Oh, didn't know that was the name. I've been riding there for a few years and I just know them by memory not names. Is Batchelor St where Litha Springs is? I've been over there from Chmura rd side.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Yeah man! Thats whats up. I'll be out there in a couple of weeks.

achiever
    Is Batchelor St where Litha Springs is? I've been over there from Chmura rd side.
    No, it's on the other side of 116.

http://www.hampshire.edu/cms_html/Holyoke_Range.htm

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    While those trails dry out, the dirt roads are perfect sufferfest form!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Where do you ride in Hatfield?
    Horse mountain and surrounding trails

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    BikeHarder36,

I hate to be this way, but it's folks like you have contribute to trails being shut down. You clearly don't understand the issues at play in Hawley and most likely don't care.

If you think I'm just blowing hot air, it only emphasizes my point. Trails have already been lost due to the actions of arrogant bikers who were ignorant of the actual situation of Hawley. By posting and sharing GPS tracks without helping riders to understand the particulars of riding up there only puts more trails at risk.

What's more peculiar is that so many who know/built/maintain the working relationships of the place are willing to show others around and you don't seem to acknowledge that?

Hawley is wonderful, but it's not Earl's, Wendell, or Vietnam or wherever. It would be nice to see it thrive, but that will require humility, patience, and a lot of hard work. Which of those have you tried?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong or... maybe you are just one of those who's vision for Hawley is something akin to the Fells or Boulder County?

mtbr member
    so say you wanted to make some trails around the Hadley Reservoir area...who would you have to talk to? (if you even have to)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=olapiquena]BikeHarder36,

You hate being this way, but you're gonna be this way anyway. Try reading some of my other posts about Hawley on some other headings. Get your friggin facts straight before you post here again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    so say you wanted to make some trails around the Hadley Reservoir area...who would you have to talk to? (if you even have to)
    Some of the land is owned by the Town of Hadley, some by Amherst College, some is private. Not sure if this helps much, but it will take a little research to determine who owns the land. What trails do you want to build? The exsisting trails already seem pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeharder36
    Some of the land is owned by the Town of Hadley, some by Amherst College, some is private. Not sure if this helps much, but it will take a little research to determine who owns the land. What trails do you want to build? The exsisting trails already seem pretty good.
    well, im looking for some riding with more of some skinnies, berms, jumps and bridges. Dont get me wrong, i loveee technical and fast single tracks, just looking for something different. If anyone knows of trails like that, i would love to know where they are

some types of things...some may not be that realistic but something maybe on the smaller side...just trying to enhance the riding
    just some thoughts

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would love to ride some of the above pictured stuff as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    SRQuill - you won't find any of that stuff on public lands in the Northeast, and if it gets built there, will be removed and bring risk of losing access to all existing legitimate trails in the area.

No one's insurance will cover injuries from built stunts. You will find terrain features, some jumps and berms at NEMBA's trails at Vietnam - all earthen construction. There are some wooden features at Highland and other pay-to-play areas in the northeast.

To answer your previous question about who is the land manager around the Hadley Reservoir, add DCR and Hampshire College to RideHardly36's list.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Man, I'm glad I grew up in the Hilltowns. You just brought me back:

Two, half-crazed, inbred brothers from Hatfield chasing me around, trying to beat me up, all because they didn't like it that they couldn't drive nails into their desk using their heads. I just couldn't stop laughing.

oh... sorry... just the old age getting to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    Man, I'm glad I grew up in the Hilltowns. You just brought me back:

Two, half-crazed, inbred brothers from Hatfield chasing me around, trying to beat me up, all because they didn't like it that they couldn't drive nails into their desk using their heads. I just couldn't stop laughing.

oh... sorry... just the old age getting to me.
    I'm glad I could get you all fired up! Sounds like you got some pretty good S&M fantasies bouncing around in your head there. Inbred brothers, physical pain.....WOW! Please try to stay away from children and mature adults. Come to think of it, just stay in the hilltowns, LMAO!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    SRQuill - you won't find any of that stuff on public lands in the Northeast, and if it gets built there, will be removed and bring risk of losing access to all existing legitimate trails in the area.

No one's insurance will cover injuries from built stunts. You will find terrain features, some jumps and berms at NEMBA's trails at Vietnam - all earthen construction. There are some wooden features at Highland and other pay-to-play areas in the northeast.

To answer your previous question about who is the land manager around the Hadley Reservoir, add DCR and Hampshire College to RideHardly36's list.
    I agree. Those kind of stunts are awesome fun to ride, but too dangerous for public land. I've built something like the low log rides on some land I own, but I took them down after I discovered people I didn't know riding them.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Wow, and no ones offered to take you and show you the trails they've built? I can't see why that would be the case.

Best of luck to you, but definitely keep this in mind, your anonymity here allows you be a jerk but the community you ride is not all that large. You've probably ridden with me, or we've said hello, or I've given you a tube on one of the trails that you've probably flatted on. We all ride the same trails.

I'm Jason. I ride a lot. See you out there. Or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you like log rides, skinnies, natural drops & rollers, check out Miller's Pond in CT. That place is skinnie / log ride heaven.......literally hundreds of them and they are all legal.If you need a guide post up over on BikeRag.com. The guy that runs the site (aka Puke) is the Miller's Pond master mind / trail gnome. Be warned that Miller's does not drain well, and riding it when its wet is not a good idea.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast