mtbr member

Visitor Here From NY

Any one riding Willow St. this week? I am in for the week (Eastham), and would like some company and maybe a hand with navigation. PM me if you want.

thanks
    Gcappy

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hello Yankee

EMS probably still does a Willow Street Ride. Eastern Mountain Sports address: 1513 Iyannough Rd, Rt 132, Hyannis (Barnstable) 508-363-8690...not far from Exit 6, Rt6.

I ride that area a lot & usually ride over, but if I park, I do so mostly on Mary Dunn. The construction vehicles working on the bridge at Exit 7 over-pass (Willow) can be ridd'n through, but I wouldn't want to block the trucks by parking there. Also, there is also a pretty big pull-out down on Willow Street toward 6A, on right, before pond. I find Mary Dunn less hectic & after a ride U can chill etc. & check for ticks for a bit, without dealing. If you park on Mary Dunn, go in by the big white "Constant Surveillance" sign & ride up & to the left (along Rt6) until you get to top of hill with a trail to right. Take trail on right, quick left, ride that and then go back up to top of hill, then ride by the trail you just took & go straight...just follow the flow. Your attempting to eventually end up riding by airport landing strips on your left, but try not to miss a couple of the upper areas as they are in awesome shape. The Folks that work these woods have done a Great Job. Parking at Sandy Pond (ballfields) in Yarmouth gets you a good warm up before crossing Willow by bridge, as well.

Both sides of Rt6 have riding from the Bridge(s) to P-town, although some creativeness is necessary. I don't recommend crossing Rt6 anywhere on your bike...spend the time & ride up to an over/under pass, well worth it. There are many spur trails that lead to crossing Rt6 and/or Suicide Alley...Don't Do It, Man. You do ride very close to 6 lot, but again, its Crazy to cross the Highway down here. Also put ToT (Trail of Tears) on your Must Do List. Exit 5 to Rt149 to Race Lane. Take right on Race Lane (rotary air field), Parking @ trailhead down 3/4 mile on right. Most prefer this lot to the crackhead parking lot at exit 5. You are not far from a lot of other local riding areas, hard to name trails, but lets just say I ride a lotfrom Barnstable (through Yarmouth-Dennis-Brewster-Orleans) to the Punkhorns and/or Nickerson - 98% Dirt the whole way ! Took years to figure out, but with todays GPS gadgets and just the "which way should I go" attitude, its basically easy. Think town water Pump Houses, Power-lines, Golf Courses, both sides of Rt6, every trailhead you see somehow incorporates a longer ride, I promise...did I say Search for town water Pump-houses.

Anyway maybe we'll cross paths, my schedule is never specific for riding, but somehow it gets done...a lot. Wear your Yankee's shirt so we can ID you out there ! Have fun, weather looks good fer Ya!
    Formerly Wiz - Boot'd I guess

Nostralpicas
    A group of about four do a ride out of the ifaw parking lot around 530 on Thursdays.
    Also there is a ride out of nickerson state park at 530 on Tuesdays the ride starts from fisherman's landing.
    The nickerson ride is a blast I would not miss that one. Plus they can give you the willow st. info for Thursday.
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

mtbr member
    Thanks Tic Tac. So the 5:30 ride tonight goes from fisherman's landing to nickerson st park and back? Is it all on trails or road?

Gcappy
    Last edited by gcappy; 07-31-2012 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks to Bill Boles, Mark and Karen for pulling this noob through this morning on the Willow st. ride. I appreciate the company and the guidance. I had a great time and would love to pull one more ride off this week before I leave. Let me know if you guy's ever come up to NY.

Gcappy