over my head

Viet Nam parking

I didn't want to derail the other Viet Nam thread...

I always see cars parked in the old, closed off driveway of the bar/pub (American Athletic Club, I think it was called in the early 90's) on rte 85. Is that a better way into Nam? I suuure would love to learn a route that avoids the cell tower climb.

Of course if it is not legal, it would be for informational purposes only

If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    I didn't want to derail the other Viet Nam thread...

I always see cars parked in the old, closed off driveway of the bar/pub (American Athletic Club, I think it was called in the early 90's) on rte 85. Is that a better way into Nam? I suuure would love to learn a route that avoids the cell tower climb.

Of course if it is not legal, it would be for informational purposes only

i like that parking area because it avoids the tower climb. don't know if it is legal, but it is a great option for small groups with few cars. fwiw, we were never bothered while parking there on weekends but i haven't been in over a year.

over my head
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    i like that parking area because it avoids the tower climb. don't know if it is legal, but it is a great option for small groups with few cars. fwiw, we were never bothered while parking there on weekends but i haven't been in over a year.
    So - what is the route from there to get in? Do you cross the street and go up in through the construction site?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It is on Rt 16 not 85 , and yes it is legal. ( for the moment ) Construction Site ??? , across the street , is a Drive ( which you can go down and then to the right )

there is also a New Parking lot that is on Adams Street that has trail heads right there
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...52d13e87c4fbd7
    I'm Better known as Splat

over my head
    Right - rte 16 , my bad. I drove by it today.
    So I take a left out of that lot and then a right up the hill right? It seems like that would bring me to the back of Nam. I bet if I go in that way I will get to see some areas I haven't been to very often.

I just wanted to make sure because my window is always tight and I don't want to blow a ride scouting (that's for the young guys!).

Thx,
    BM