Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Turner owners

mtbr member

New question here. Turner owners

I am looking for someone who rides either a 5 spot or flux in the metro boston area. Anyone?
    It's all cycle-logical to me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Nimai]I am looking for someone who rides either a 5 spot or flux in the metro boston area. Anyone?[/QUOT]

5 Spot rider here. I'm north of Boston (north shore area). Whatcha need?

mtbr member

Demos?

I'm looking for some feedback as to how the spot performs in the area (lynn woods and fells). I am on the fence in choosing either a 5 spot or a flux. The spot seems like it's a lot of bike for what we have out here and since I am a lighter rider at 150# I figure I can get away with riding trail on a flux.

The sad part is that I don't have a way to demo a spot or a flux 'round these parts. I am looking to see if someone could hook me up with a test ride.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    The Spot is perfect for around here. I can't speak for the Fells riding but if you venture to the singletrack at Lynn you'll definately want the geometry of the Spot. If you go all Air (fork and Shock) It will be a killer trail bike for this riding yet light enough to pedal all day. Mine is set up pretty heavy with a Romic and a Marz Z 130 But still realy a great trail bike.

mtbr member
    Nimai - I'd have to agree with Aixel. Spots the way to go if you like tech type trails over buff singletrack. The spot just eats up the tech stuff.

Have you tried JRA http://www.jracycles.com/ they are a Turner dealer, they may be able to hook you up.

mtbr member

Feedback

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Yes, I have ventured over to JRA and spoke with Adam. Unfortunatley they only special order Turners and do not have any demos. However, with a few phone calls to Turner and some other members of the forums here, I am leaning towards a flux. Sounds like more than enough bike for long hour trail rides around here. Plus I am 5' 10" and weigh 150# with gear on so the spot seems like a lot of bike for me. I ride mostly cross country although I occasionally ride the more technical trails. The flux seems like it can handle 90% of what the spot can do albeit the riders skill.

Huh?
    Apr 2005

NS Rider

Either way you'll be happy after all its a Turner. On a side note NS Rider have you been out at all lately? Greenwoods was good today. I can't wait until all this snow is gone we need to meet up and ride.

mtbr member

Actually...

I have been swayed and decided to go with the spot instead. I spoke with a few more folks involved with the scene and the spot seems like it has more versatility and room to grow. So off we go to start a build and get ready for the up and coming season.

So far this is what I came up with:
    Med spot in white with either a pushed rp3 in the back or, if I can swing this somehow, pushed dhx in the back with a pushed pike 454 up front. Crazy huh?

The rest will have to come from my current build to make up the rest of the bike.

Any suggestions?

--Nimai

mtbr member

sizing question

BTW, how tall are you and what size spot are you riding? I am one of those cases b/n a medium and a large? Sizing is very personal I know but is it better to go large with a shorter stem or medium with a longer stem?

mtbr member
    Aixel, Saturday rode at Harold Parker and today (Sunday) did a ride up in West Gloucester. We def have to meet up for a ride. Haven't been out to Greenwood since the fall.

Nimai, I like the build so far. You'll be real happy with either the rp3 or dhx. Just depends if you prefer air or coil. I had an rp3 was quite impressed with it but I prefer coil so I swapped it for a dhx which I'm loving.

As for sizing, you're right it is quite personal. I'm 5'10-1/2", 170 and ride a medium with a 100mm stem. I like the tech stuff (not much of a hucker tho) so I prefer to be a bit more upright than stretched out.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    I am just under 6' (5',11" 3/4) and ride a large with a 90mm stem. I have the Romic on mine and have no complaints. The way I've heard it is that if you don't plan on getting much air and don't want to fiddle with settings get the RP3, especially since you said you would get it Pushed. I was going to upgrade to the DHX air but am currently looking at downhills bikes I am running Sram X-9 trigger shifters and absolutly love them. Much better than the old shitmano stuff.
    Just my 2 cents since you asked good luck.

NS Rider I'll P.M. you when my schedule frees up and the terra is a little firmer.

M.

mtbr member
    Cool, with the lack of snow this year, hopefully it will remain dry. We should have some firm terra sooner rather than later.

Definately agree with your assesment of the X-9. I'm running the same.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Large Burner here

Shoot me a PM if you want to take my Burner for a spin some time.
    I live real close to Leominster State Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimai
    Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Yes, I have ventured over to JRA and spoke with Adam. Unfortunatley they only special order Turners and do not have any demos. However, with a few phone calls to Turner and some other members of the forums here, I am leaning towards a flux. Sounds like more than enough bike for long hour trail rides around here. Plus I am 5' 10" and weigh 150# with gear on so the spot seems like a lot of bike for me. I ride mostly cross country although I occasionally ride the more technical trails. The flux seems like it can handle 90% of what the spot can do albeit the riders skill.
    keep moving

mtbr member

Great Stuff

thanks NSrider and Aixelsyd for the helpful info. It seems like I would go with the medium as I am 5'10" with shoes on with a 33" inseam and I too like the tech stuff as opposed to bombing down the trails. That's fun as well, however I am trying to hone my skills as a rider.

The 100mm stem sounds like a good fit too and easier to change than the frame size. Oh yeah and I plan on running all sram stuff with either x7 or x9 triggers. Sounds like I could get away with the x7 just fine.

Burpee, thanks for the offer to let me take the burner for a spin. I just need directions to the park you mentioned as I am coming from boston and only slightly know my way around rt. 2. Enough to get lost...

Slowly, slowly it's coming together.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Ride them before you decide on size

At 5'11" I think you might be a good candidate for the Large...

I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam, and I opted for the Large Burner over the XL for the same reasons as you. I wanted the extra standover and shorter reach for technical sections and throwing the bike around. I am now regretting that decision however. I've got this huge stack of spacers under the stem, and I'm still looking around for a taller rise stem and bar.

I love the Burner, and I've been living with the lower front end. I just wish I went with the XL frame. The headtube (on the Burner anyway) is pretty short, and I get psyched out on smaller launches where I might not otherwise if I had a taller front end.

Anyway Leominster State Forest is about 40 min from Boston on Rt 2 West. Shoot me an PM if you every plan to be in the area.

thanks NSrider and Aixelsyd for the helpful info. It seems like I would go with the medium as I am 5'10" with shoes on with a 33" inseam and I too like the tech stuff as opposed to bombing down the trails. That's fun as well, however I am trying to hone my skills as a rider.

The 100mm stem sounds like a good fit too and easier to change than the frame size. Oh yeah and I plan on running all sram stuff with either x7 or x9 triggers. Sounds like I could get away with the x7 just fine.

Burpee, thanks for the offer to let me take the burner for a spin. I just need directions to the park you mentioned as I am coming from boston and only slightly know my way around rt. 2. Enough to get lost...

keep moving

mtbr member

Nimai - If you want to meet up for a ride, you are more than welcome to try my med spot on for size. It just so happens I think I'm riding at Harold Parker in Andover Tuesday at 4:30. Come on up if you can. Scott

mtbr member

Sounds good

NSrider,

Which of the four locations do you want me to meet you at? Since I have never been there it might take me a little while to figure it out but no problem. Whom do I look for and what other info do you need from me?

Nimai

mtbr member
    NSrider,

Which of the four locations do you want me to meet you at? Since I have never been there it might take me a little while to figure it out but no problem. Whom do I look for and what other info do you need from me?

Nimai
    http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ad...w=1&name=&qty=

Jenkins Road lot at intersection of Jenkins Rd., Harold Parker Road and Berry Pond Rd. I should be there by 4:15 Green Subaru, Silver Spot. If you need any more directions post back. Where are you coming from?

Scott (cell # 978-471-9769)

mtbr member

alright

Thanks Scott for the link. I am coming from back bay boston. I got the mapquest directions which seem pretty straight forward. Plus it's only a half hour ride so even if I get lost I can find my way around. Thanks for hooking me up with a test run. It's nice to know folks like yourself are looking out for noobs like me.

I will call to check in with you tomorrow to see if we are still on.

--Alexander

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Try Competetive cyclist in little rock ark. for $200 they send you the Turner of your choicefor one week. If you buy a frame or bike from them they credit you $100.Igot my wifes flux from them . By the way ,Iam 5-7 and ride a medium spotwith a 100mmstem . that works for me here in the berkshires Harry

mtbr member
    I think you are making a good choice with the Spot. I have been riding my Spot at the Fells and at Lynn since I bought it 3 years ago. The flux works at Lynn but the Spot or even a 6-Pack is better suited. For the fells, either flux, spot or pack work well.

Good choice and happy trails.
    cuz you're growns up and you're growns up and you're growns up...

mtbr member

New question here. 6 pack

Readin' these forums just takes my curiosity to the next level. Anyone ride or know someone who rides a 6 pack/rfx? I'm now thinkin' about buildin' up the 6 pack as a 5 pack to start and then see what happens from there. Two bikes in one, can't beat that

mtbr member
    Hey Alexander - Hows it going. Don't know of any Pack/RFX owners around these parts. Head over to the Turner forum and do a search, there are a bunch of posts regarding 5 Packs and various Frankenturner configurations. Push is even doing something with 5.5" rockers for a 5.5 Spot. Dave Turner posted about this recently.

Sounds like you're spending too much time reading the boards and in a state of paralysis by over analysis. Good luck sorting it all out and finally coming to a decision. Unless you are planning on 4+ foot drops the Spot will be the right choice. With the ability to add the Push 5.5 rockers down the road for a bit more travel.

Scott

mtbr member

thanks for the heads up...

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, as I have been told before, just take the plunge and stop trying to figure it all out. That will come after I get some ride time in and know both pros and cons from real world experience and not just ride forums.

I have been corresponding with Mr. Turner about the same issues and he recommends a 5 pack to start, that is, order a pack with both sets of rockers. He thinks that will provide years of fun with the diff. combos and options. The medium pack frame is closer to the bike I am on now so that's why I chose the pack. Plus, two bikes for the price of one, can't beat that.

Now, I am waiting for RS to come out with a 6" pike or something similar to balance out the rear. Start with a 5 x 5 and then move up to a 6 x 6 when situations call for it. Best of both worlds. Although that 66sl looks real sweet too

Have fun riding and I will probably see you out there shortly.

alexander

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got it worked out then. Thats why I bought a Turner, how often do you get to talk to the owner and guy that designed the frame.

Make sure you post an update with pics here or over at the Turner forum when you have the goods.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast