mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Trails in Martha's Vineyard?

My wife wants to relocate from oakland, ca to martha's vineyard. . The single track here is amazing. Is the anything on the island???

Who are the brain police?

Sounds like it...

Quote Originally Posted by osodog
    My wife wants to relocate from oakland, ca to martha's vineyard. . The single track here is amazing. Is the anything on the island???
    Sounds like it...

"Martha's Vineyard is covered with singletrack. A few outings with this group and you will be able to go on your own. I would guess there is more than a hundred miles of singletrack on this little island. You can ride from Menemsha to the east end of Chappy and be on singletrack for more than 80% of the ride."

Reviews
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by osodog
    I lived a few years in Oakland, and now live on Cape Cod, in the town where the ferry leaves for the Vineyard.

I don't think the singletrack in Oakland is amazing, and I am pretty sure I rode it all. Good, but not amazing. However, the Bay area has great singletrack if you look at the area as a whole.

The biggest difference for you will be the weather. The winter is much harder here than in the Bay Area. The other difference is that you are isolated on the island. Weekend trips off-island are a big chore with the ferry schedules.

That said, we do take the boat over and go riding on the island. There is plenty to keep you busy, and day trips to the cape for riding here are easy.

Riding will be the least of your worries in the transition from Oakland to MV. Winters on the island are beautiful but very isolated and cold. The summer is overrun with tourists.

Windsurfing is great here.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    hope to be going there for vacation sometime in September when the crouds die down. I take it the Land Bank is the only place to get info on some descent trails on the island? is there a real bike shop on the island or will we find mostly rental places? In other words should i bring some spare tubes and some tools should something happen?