mtbr member

Trail Tech HID vs. NightRider HID

This post also appears in the GPS, Lighting and computer forum, but since I live on the North Shore, and deal with the same conditions as many of the rest of you, I thought I'd throw this out to the riders that share my riding conditions.

I was primed to pick up a NightRider Enduro, despite the nagging voice in my head that said over 300 bones for a light is ridiculous, on principle. Read a couple posts about Trail Tech HIDs from the manufacturer NOT BATTERYSPACE as those systems just seem to be rife with problems involving the Lithium battery "upgrade" they put togehter. Trail Tech is charging 210 shipped, which makes for a 105$ difference including state tax. Here are my questions to y'all;

1. Anybody have experience with NightRider HID head to head with a Trail Tech HID, and what did you think? (This holds for any NightRider HID, since they all use the same lamp, I'm pretty sure, as long as it isn't a HID/LED combo top of the line model - Rage etc).
    2. What kind of actual riding-on-the-trail runtimes are people getting with Trail Tech single HID/ NIMH set-ups?
    3. (Prepare for loaded question) Is the extra 105 bucks worth it for a NightRider set-up, and if so, why?

I'm going after work tonight to check out a fully charged NR Enduro and L&M NIMH head to head. A LBS charged them both up for me so I can actually see the lights at night for myself, which I thought was pretty cool of them. Going to pull the trigger in the next 48 hours one way or the other. I'd really appreciate some input from riders with some real-life experience here. Thanks. GO PATS
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Seems like the response of your LBS should be giving you the answer to this question. Lights don't always work flawlessly. Having a shop that is willing to help you out if there are problems is a lot better than going it alone with the manufacturer. Also, Niterider may not be perfect, but there are usually folks around with the same system if you need components to help troubleshoot a problem or borrow until a repair is done.

MC MasterShake
    I purchased the Trail-Tech HID light system from BatterySpace.com this year and it's been great. I have had no problems with it at all. I've compared it with other HID lights that other riders had on and the quality seemed pretty much the same. I've easily gotten 4 hours (2 seperate rides) out of one charge. I probably would have gotten more out of the charge but I didn't want to risk it since it's rated at 5.5 hours and I had 2.5 hour ride after that one.

I'm sure NiteRider's system is as good if not a little better but I'm a cheap bastard so I went for the TrailTech and I have not regretted it.

mtbr member

Thanks Woodyak

Hey man,
    We posted on here to each other a while back about doing some Gloucester/N Shore rides, but I guess we never worked it out. We should get something going, maybe Saturday if it doesn't rain too much?
    Is there any way you could charge up your light and meet me somewhere here in town, (maybe Dogtown or wherever you want) and let me check out the light? I'd really appreciate it, as I have to get something soon. My lame old 6v system isn't really cutting it anymore, especially if I ride with others that have bigger halogens, and if they have HIDs, forget it.
    Your light must have come with the Lithium/Ion if its from batteryspace I'm guessing, right?
    Did you go with the spot or the flood?
    Thanks for the response.
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    We should get together. I'm planning on riding tomorrow around 10-ish. I'm not sure if my 2 buds are in yet. I have something going on in the afternoon so it will have to be in the morning. I'll ride in light rain since it will be so warm. I was thinking of starting at either School St. or Gordon and then riding for about 2.5 to 3 hours. I need to be back in Rockport by 1:30-ish.

No problem on the lights. I'll charge them tonight and bring them with me. I live right on a Dogtown trailhead so we could hook up that way as well. I have backup halogen lights that I could use.

I'll PM you my cell. Feel free to text message me. I have a Blackberry so e-mail works as well.

Cheers!
    -Bill

mtbr member

Sounds Good - Check your PM

Left you a PM and a message at the # you sent me. Give me a buzz tonight or in the morning.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

mtbr member

Thanks guys

Great ride today! Thanks Bill for inviting me to join you guys. Had a blast. A long, winded, slow, blast. Let's get out there again as long as this weather continues to rock.
    Next; A night ride?
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Great ride today! Thanks Bill for inviting me to join you guys. Had a blast. A long, winded, slow, blast. Let's get out there again as long as this weather continues to rock.
    Next; A night ride?
    Erik
    Sound good to me. Maybe Thursday night if the weather holds up. It's supposed to get chilly but not that bad. It'll have to be around 7:30/8 so I can get the kids in bed first. I think Dogtown would be easiest

mtbr member

spot or flood?

Bill,
    Did you get the spot or flood bulb in your light? Did it come with a charger?
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    Flood. Yup. I got a complete kit. I think the charger is either built into the battery or built into the brick. There's a powercord with a brick that plugs into the battery.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Slayer
    Next; A night ride?
    Erik
    We're riding at 3-ish on Friday if you're interested. Not sure which trail but it will be on the North Shore. Send me e-mail if you're interested.

mtbr member

Supposed to be nice

Loks like the weather will be nice. Check PM. I'll try to make it.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things