MBN
    mtbr member

Trail of Tears question.......

I am staying in Falmouth Heights this weekend. Is TOT close? Is it fairly easy to find the good stuff?

Thanks for any info.

M.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ToT is easy to find coming from Falmouth. By car, take Rt28 to the Mashpee Rotary (btw: notice Rt151 off rotary for OTIS trailhead) continue on Rt28 in the direction of Hyannis. After a few miles, Look for Rt149 on your left, take 149 all the way till you hit a very small rotary, you'll want the 9 o'clock position (This is Race Lane), go about 3/4 of a mile on Race Lane (w/grass field airport on the right) & start looking for the trailhead Brown sign "Barnstable Conservation" it's on right a few hundred yards after a street called Crooked Cartway.

The "good stuff"?...it's All flowy ST - you won't get lost so just ride ride ride, you are sure to run into someone out there during the weekend.

While in Falmouth don't miss out on Otis (not to be confused w/Otis Atwood in Barnstable)
    for more features...however, if you like flowy ST, ToT is a "Don't Miss", 20+ mile, awesome ST network, Have fun and possibly see ya out there!

edit: If you are riding from Falmouth it's kind of a tricky, unless you stay on the roads as described

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz
    ToT is easy to find coming from Falmouth. By car, take Rt28 to the Mashpee Rotary (btw: notice Rt151 off rotary for OTIS trailhead) continue on Rt28 in the direction of Hyannis. After a few miles, Look for Rt149 on your left, take 149 all the way till you hit a very small rotary, you'll want the 9 o'clock position (This is Race Lane), go about 3/4 of a mile on Race Lane (w/grass field airport on the right) & start looking for the trailhead Brown sign "Barnstable Conservation" it's on right a few hundred yards after a street called Crooked Cartway.

The "good stuff"?...it's All flowy ST - you won't get lost so just ride ride ride, you are sure to run into someone out there during the weekend.

While in Falmouth don't miss out on Otis (not to be confused w/Otis Atwood in Barnstable)
    for more features...however, if you like flowy ST, ToT is a "Don't Miss", 20+ mile, awesome ST network, Have fun and possibly see ya out there!

edit: If you are riding from Falmouth it's kind of a tricky, unless you stay on the roads as described
    Thanks very much Wiz!

mtbr member
    You going to Kathy and Brian's wedding, by chance? Serious long-shot, but figured I'd ask! I enjoy funny coincidences

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugg-E
    You going to Kathy and Brian's wedding, by chance? Serious long-shot, but figured I'd ask! I enjoy funny coincidences
    Dugg,

No.........I dont know Brian & Kathy, but I loved the movie "Wedding Crashers"! Hmmm

M.

mtbr member
    Shucks lol

i'll have to bring my bike the next time i'm around Falmouth...sounds like there are some great trail!

have fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

otis and tot

can be connected by mostly trail. some really good trail. i gotta get down there and do a cape cod off road 50 miler sometime soon connecting tot, mm pathways, lowell holly, ryder, ashumet, crane, otis, bourn town forest, canal, greenbriar, sandwich hs, sandwich, and back to tot. great loop and never ending hills and singletrack. man, i miss that ride. for more mileage you can connect another 30 with yarmouth and once i connected trail from tot to truro foer an 8 hour 80 mile day. so much stuff down there.

rog

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    can be connected by mostly trail. some really good trail. i gotta get down there and do a cape cod off road 50 miler sometime soon connecting tot, mm pathways, lowell holly, ryder, ashumet, crane, otis, bourn town forest, canal, greenbriar, sandwich hs, sandwich, and back to tot. great loop and never ending hills and singletrack. man, i miss that ride. for more mileage you can connect another 30 with yarmouth and once i connected trail from tot to truro foer an 8 hour 80 mile day. so much stuff down there.

rog
    No Doubt...9 years down here & still connecting...simply amazing, By trial & error have done your loop. Have not made it as far as Truro, but have run the peninsula from Falmouth, 151, bridge to bridge & all the way to Orleans on 80% trail & most likely could have been 95% but ran into some fences & a few developments that needed to be connected by a run through...but there always seems to be trail on the other side. Still chasing Rog's routes down...mmm, life can certainly be a challenge keep the rubber side down, man (and/or an edge )

MBN
    mtbr member
    No Doubt...9 years down here & still connecting...simply amazing, By trial & error have done your loop. Have not made it as far as Truro, but have run the peninsula from Falmouth, 151, bridge to bridge & all the way to Orleans on 80% trail & most likely could have been 95% but ran into some fences & a few developments that needed to be connected by a run through...but there always seems to be trail on the other side. Still chasing Rog's routes down...mmm, life can certainly be a challenge keep the rubber side down, man (and/or an edge )
    Wiz,

Do you recomend OTIS over TOT? I prefer technical riding. If so, how do I get to OTIS from the Heights?

Best,

M.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Wiz,

Do you recomend OTIS over TOT? I prefer technical riding. If so, how do I get to OTIS from the Heights?

Best,

M.
    Personally I dig ToT as I find it more flowy & you can connect (without surveillance) to Sandwich and get deep into an epic or just do pieces. That said, Otis has a lot of Features & solid group of worshipers who dig obstacles. (It's not super tech though) But, Otis is more tech than ToT, I strongly recommend you to do both, as they have different personalities.

I'll have to look at a map, but look up Otis in Trail Reviews for directions & I'll try to pick a route for you to tread on in the meantime.

EDIT: RE: OTIS PARKING Ramshackle & I changed the Mtbr.com
    "TRAIL REVIEW" directions for parking for Otis last year. ^RAMS^ did a really nice job w/a map of the parking scene - As stubborn as I am, a long time ago, I learned the hard way
    Last edited by Wiz; 07-24-2009 at 01:12 PM.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Personally I dig ToT as I find it more flowy & you can connect (without surveillance) to Sandwich and get deep into an epic or just do pieces. That said, Otis has a lot of Features & solid group of worshipers who dig obstacles. (It's not super tech though) But, Otis is more tech than ToT, I strongly recommend you to do both, as they have different personalities.

I'll have to look at a map, but look up Otis in Trail Reviews for directions & I'll try to pick a route for you to tread on in the meantime.

Wiz,

I am going to go with your advice, and do TOT. I found a basic map here on MTBR, and will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks again,

M.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ya, back when i was really exploring and putting the 50 together using the most trail possible to do it, a cape cod gazetteer was my best companion especially since it was all pre-internet. there are just so many ancient ways down there that have grown in to one-tracks, it blows the mind. the trails in eastham that run into the amazingly enchanting singletrack mecca called by locals, "the gaunlet" in wellfleet, with it's ultra tight twisty trail called "little china", or the scary big over the bars descent called "wiamea", by the local surfer/lifeguards that cut and rode the trails while the ocean was flat. you can take those trails round deep kettle hole ponds right up into pamet in truro.

fahk! all of these memories make me want to move back to the true singletrack mecca of new england. SURF-N-DIRT! i may come down to ride tues/wed if i don't go to n-conway instead.

rog

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugg-E
    lol, i grew up w/ cathy in marshfield who is getting married today in falmouth. Folks are going to the wedding.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog
    ya, back when i was really exploring and putting the 50 together using the most trail possible to do it, a cape cod gazetteer was my best companion especially since it was all pre-internet. there are just so many ancient ways down there that have grown in to one-tracks, it blows the mind. the trails in eastham that run into the amazingly enchanting singletrack mecca called by locals, "the gaunlet" in wellfleet, with it's ultra tight twisty trail called "little china", or the scary big over the bars descent called "wiamea", by the local surfer/lifeguards that cut and rode the trails while the ocean was flat. you can take those trails round deep kettle hole ponds right up into pamet in truro.fahk! all of these memories make me want to move back to the true singletrack mecca of new england. SURF-N-DIRT! i may come down to ride tues/wed if i don't go to n-conway instead.rog
    See what I mean, I've heard of that area & would never think it would be anything but deep sand & low-&-behold the Rog gets me pumped for a new jaunt...I'm driving at least to Freemans Way though. My roadie Bro said theres some great views, I can't wait for more Cod exploring before heading up to the White Mts REAL soon. I'm hoping the many so-called "stream crossings" in the backcountry will be doable by now.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Wiz,

I am going to go with your advice, and do TOT. I found a basic map here on MTBR, and will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks again,

M.
    Cool, like to hear some feedback..do it fast!

MBN
    mtbr member
    Cool, like to hear some feedback..do it fast!
    Wiz,

First off, thanks for the directions. They were spot on!

I rode on Saturday, which was perfect weather. I have never ridden such pure cross country trails before. It was perfect for my hard tail 29er! Wierd to have no hills. Never had that before. I met up with some guy who was keeping a pretty good pace. It was then that I realized that the idea is to go fast, and try to carve it up. Pretty cool. I did some exploring on my own, but stayed mostly on the T of T with the red signs. I went for several miles, then backtracked so as to avoid getting lost. Man there are miles and miles of trails out there. I live 25 miles north of Boston, where the snow takes forever to melt. I will deff be back this winter. From what I have read, T of T is snow free much more often in the winter.

Thanks again Wiz,

M.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Awesome!!!

Funny, I know the loong hills of up north are awaiting my old beat up lungs. Cape usually ridable all winter, try to put Otis, Yarmouth & Nickeron all on your To-Do List!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

no hills

if ya want hills and much more brutal "at yer limit" riding than anywhere else i've ridden and or raced in all of new engand (ok, the jay challenge was pretty tough), go to sandwich and try to hold a fast/steady pace. most of it is a real spirit breaker for sure. oxygen debt at it's finest.

hey wiz! the wed eve nickerson group ride used to meet at idle times from time to time to hit up trails leading up to the gauntlet.last time i did that ride with them was like 1997.

good stuff!

rog