wot no bike?

Trail of Tears gearing questions

Hey all:

I'll be visiting near Barnstable Harbor in a few weeks and want to ride the West Barnstable conservation area. Wanting to bring only one bike I was thinking of my SS cross bike, about ~57.4 gear inches (700c cross tires at 34x16). Questions:

1. Is there a safe/sane cycling route from the harbor to the trails?
    2. Is my gearing too high for these trails? Advanced rider.
    3. Are the trails too sandy for CX tires anyway?

Thanks!

-pete
    Last edited by pahearn; 06-14-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    pete

Lets RIDE!
    I can't answer the gearing question, but I've been there twice and recall the singletrack to be mostly firm, not sandy like you might expect on Cape Cod.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    A few thoughts from a Barnstable Harbor local that rides ToT ( & the surrounding a lot) - that may or may not be useful . Although I'm not a Cross rider, I have friends that will put a cross ride in at ToT. Sandy? well, there are a couple ST corners that have some sand, but in general Not a lot of the loose on the ST at ToT. On the other hand, the powerlines and fireroads can be deep in the sheet.

Almost anything that has peddles & two wheels can have fun at the ToT, an "advanced" rider can really, really move out in there, as well. That said, most popular among the regulars are HT, FS & SS rigs. A few hard cores run rigid forks and do quite well...but I'm with the masses & run a 2x9 FS or HT, but I'm old, w/real bad knees & carry a pony beer keg w/me. If I dedicated a bike solely for ToT it would be a 1x9 w/a 100-130mm fork. I very very rarely use a granny unless my knees are screaming back at me . I see you have a nice SS 29er that would be sweet as a lot of others can attest. So as far as gearing on a cross, I'll have to ask a few friends, and let others Here help you out.

Tires? well, I'm a tire freak, but in over 9 years down here and thousands of miles, I have been most happy on my tubeless 2.3 Schalbes, but I ride a lot of recon off the beaten path...can you say briers! Anyway, not much for briers in ToT, but elsewhere they can be brutal, which leads me to your other question. Riding from the Barnstable Harbor to ToT can be done on about 60-70% in the wood, but it will require at least an extra tube and a patch kit. I can fill you in by PM or phone, it would take up a full page here, it's not a difficult ride. But you better have most of the day available to ride out there and back, ride ToT and/or the Sandwich Side all without getting twisted up or flatting out. To do it All including getting there, yur talking 40+ miles.

Alternatively, you can Say a PRAYER (narrow and loaded with cars, but the roadies do it all the time) and (ride) take 6A west to Church street, left on Rt 149, cross over Rt 6 overpass, take a right on Service Road. enter left at power lines, take left & your in ToT. This way, on a Cross you can be there in a 1/2 hour from Barnstable Village. It's only the the 1st 1.7 miles that are the most dangerous with the car factor. A safer road ride from the village, not as scenic, but far safer, is to take "Phinneys Lane" (wider) straight all the way almost to (Rt 28 toward Falmouth) take last road on right before the light, it's called "Great Marsh Rd" go straight till you hit "Old Stage" take right on "Race Lane"...the main entrance to ToT is approx 4 miles down. Go straight though a little rotary and about 1 mile or so on the right is the brown "Branstable Conservation" sign entrance, off "Race Lane" There is a Map there as well, have fun! You can get to this entrance by either route.

You can also do a lot of riding in the other direction, as well, right from Barnstable Village (East), look at maps but basically it's the Mary Dunn -(think airport) to Willow to the Yarmouth trails...It's all so good - you'll have fun no matter what bike you take w/you...I would opt for something w/a little more tread...but thats just me, as my brain doesn't do the share the road thing, well*...

wot no bike?
    This is really great info, thanks so much for taking the time to write it up. So regarding ToT, is that in the area designated as "Olde Barnstable Fairground GC" in google (see below)?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.109863&z=14

I'm also really interested in the Yarmouth trails you mentioned, I'll have to check that out as well. Judging by one guy's MotionBased data it looks like there's a good amount of trail there too.

Thanks again,

-pete
    pete

Lets RIDE!
    On the map you linked, ToT is in the parcel due north of "ye olde fairgrounds".....other side of 149, adjacent to rt.6 and Service Road.

JZ
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

wot no bike?
    Ah, thanks!
    pete

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

... and if we just ... Hey now

When are you coming & what bike(s) did you decide?...if we can hook, great; never-the-less, I'll route yer out a few different options out of Barnstable Village...short & long, drunk and/or straight

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz
    When are you coming & what bike(s) did you decide?...if we can hook, great; never-the-less, I'll route yer out a few different options out of Barnstable Village...short & long, drunk and/or straight
    Driving in on the night of Thursday July 2nd and leaving Monday July 6th, so without completely ditching my family for the entire time I plan on riding on at least 2 of those days. My plan is to bring my 29er and CX, if they fit. We're taking my brother-in-law's Explorer instead of our car that has a rack, so depending on how much crap we bring I'll probably do a bunch of dismantling but I figure it's worth it to have both bikes. I'm thinking now that I'd want to ride the 29er on the ToT (and just drive there), and maybe do some on/off-road exploring to the east on the CX.

If you're around I'd definitely be down for a ride, just let me know when you're free and you can give me the ToT tour. Let me know and I'll PM my info...

As a reference of location we stay by the south shore of Barnstable Harbor due north of Cobbs Village.

-pete
    pete

Wiz
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Exactly!

Your plan (& whips) sound perfect...I'm a stones throw from the village (post ride brewski?)
    ToT on a 29er is a perfect choice & the CX for cruising around on/off will fit so well. Check your PM for my cell# - take care & be in no rush..it will be busy, but definitely a huge fun factor.

wot no bike?
    Sounds good!
    pete