mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Trail of Tears closed?

mtbr member
    Rode there this morning and didn't see that sign. It's probably up by the Service road in the NE corner. There's been some PROBLEMS there.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah the signs were posted at the trailhead on the service rd. I skipped that section and headed up the power lines to the next trail. I didn't see any other signs either. So I assume it's still ok to ride there?

guru meditation

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the kraken View Post
    Yeah the signs were posted at the trailhead on the service rd. I skipped that section and headed up the power lines to the next trail. I didn't see any other signs either. So I assume it's still ok to ride there?
    Interesting that these surveillance camera signs are popping up elsewhere in the state. Are these DCR or local police? I assume they have some kind of wildlife motion detector camera, or nothing at all of course

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I wonder if they put them up on Rte149 where you cross over to OA?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I rode an 11 mile loop, today. I didn't see any signs like this. I use the race lane trail head.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This is posted off Access road and part way down the trail from the Popplebottom Road Trailhead. Some riders cut an unauthorized trail through there that DCR says cuts through some sort of "sensitive habitat". The rest of the network is still fully open as far as I'm aware (ride there 2-4 times a week).

I would highly advise against poaching this trail as well. Rode it once before I knew it was illegal (no signs then) and it wasn't anything special (overgrown and mostly flat) and not definitely not worth causing any issues with DCR.

CP
    This whole property is Town of Barnstable owned Conservation Land (not DCR).

The video surveillance is concerning (and interesting). The signs appear to have been erected by the Conservation Commission? The question I have is, when they have collected some video evidence of a person on the trail, what can they do next?

the Commission may not be looking to find a particular guilty party but rather a particular user group (possibly?).
    Last edited by C.P.; 09-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    You're correct it is the Town of Barnstable Conservation Division that is in charge of it (I used DCR since it was mentioned in an earlier post). I haven't heard exact details on their reasoning but I wouldn't want to give them any fuel for trying to kick bikers off the property (even though bikers make up about 95% of the users).

mtbr member
    I'd like to stay in the loop in this. While Otis is my homebase TOT is great and more importantly MTB access in general is a priority. I work with a fellow on Barnstable ConCom and there are a few dedicated riders in this firm.

mtbr member
    C.P. was gracious enough to PM me and pass this along:

http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/Boa...3/MN070913.pdf

This my reply to his message:

"Ah ha! I looked in old minutes yesterday when I read this thread but did not go far enough back it seems. The supervisor on the ConCom here probably doesn't know what MTB means to me and the other fellows, hence he never brought it up.

We are a civil/environmental engineering firm; which gives some context.

Thank you for the update. I've been trying to offer my services to helping Cape Cod NEMBA off the ground again but have met a real lack of interest it seems.

I could for see this sort of issue happening as more MTBers come out and more people move to Cape.

I use Otis mostly and had a good talk with Coast Guard folks last night on the trails. Which I too fear are in danger.

A solidified and uniform movement (i.e. a bike club aka Cape Cod NEMBA) is the first step I believe. We need a unified voice and reputable backings.

While there are always compromises and perhaps there are too many trails (this even takes away from cycling) the goal is to work together and make sure the best experience is left for recreationalists and nature.

Hopefully we can get on this before people start getting tickets!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Strange reading the action item from that July meeting was for a committee member to work with users to proceed with closing of some trails. Unilateral posting of signs doesn't seem to agree with that process, unless someone in the riding community was in fact consulted...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I do believe Charlie (NEMBA Cape Cod Chapter President) has been involved somewhat in this as I overheard him talking to some other riders about the trails during a fundraiser ride over the summer. I've only seen him that once though and I haven't heard much regarding organized meetings or group rides for the Chapter but would definitely be interested in some if they get organized.

Regarding your comment on Otis. Are there any specific details of them being threatened or is this just a hunch? I love riding Otis when I have time to make it to Falmouth for a ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what's sensitive about the area? what wildlife is being affected? do they have evidence? I've been riding the same trails for 15 years. new ones appeared by the airport a few years ago. no idea who made them but it's not just bikers who use them.
    go out to TOT after a snow storm and you'll find foot prints everywhere . They just want to conserve the area that " they share a fondness for" so no one can use it but wildlife. I'll stop here. but I'm ready. Let's go.

mtbr member
    Water, that came off strong. All I meant is that with the number of users I've seen (it seems to be increasing) land managers begin to take notice. No danger, but if NEMBA is becoming more active they should definitely look at protecting access.

mtbr member
    I've come across very well-attended NEMBA rides twice in the last couple months. And from my perspective, I believe Cape Cod NEMBA is involved and doing a great job at TOT with trail maintenance -- and I think most (tho not all) local trail users understand that it's the mt bikers who keep that place so great.
    I just assumed that trail sign was there because they found some threatened flora or fauna -- or it was put up to discourage the 'pickle parking' folks.
    Misfit diSSent ALC SS
    2014 Cdale F29 Team