Go Bruins!

trail suggestions along turnpike please...

I'll be coming home from Albany, NY along the Mass Turnpike on Sunday 7/1. I'm looking to hit a trail system somewhere close to the highway on the way back preferably in western or central Mass as I can still hit much of eastern Mass from my home.

I am just looking for suggestions. I am a fairly skilled rider who can handle flow, technical, and a lot of speed, and I am not afraid of climbing to get to the goods either. A suggestion followed by types of terrain and trails would be very helpful. Thanks.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You sure you don't want to take Rt 2 instead. Lots more options along the northern tier...
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Go Bruins!
    I could be in for a detour. Convince me with some more details.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Holyoke range (bachelor street and Earls) is about 20 minutes north of exit 4 off the pike. Bachelor street is very technical and a great ride. Earls is more flowy but with a lot of climbing. Then you have Vietnam RIGHT off the Pike in central MA. If your going all the way out to Boston do yourself a favor and check out Lynn Woods. Seriously technical riding that will kick your ass.....in a good way

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ooctrl View Post
    I could be in for a detour. Convince me with some more details.
    Coming over the Mtn into Williamstown, Hit up Pittsfield State Forest - varied riding, miles of single track, not too rocky, very hilly.

OR

Over the mountain into Charlemont - Charlemont Trails 30 miles of 1-3 year old rocky hilly singletrack - not all trails are marked yet.

OR

8A south from Charlemont - Hawley/Dubuque Forest - mostly unmarked - arrange for a tour guide - flowy, fast single track that seems to go on forever. Park is officially closed still since Irene I think, but there are certain to be users around.

OR

112 South from Shelburne Falls to the DAR in Goshen - well marked and mapped rocky single track. Less hilly than either Pittsfield or Charlemont.

OR

Off 2A in Greenfield - Rocky Mtn Park - very rocky, flowy trails - moderate climbing. ST has been widened due to heavy use - not nearly as tight as it used to be.

OR

Rt 63 South about a mile from Rt 2 in Millers Falls - Wendell State Forest. Probably the best expert XC riding in the state. Wide variety of stuff from rocky tech to flowy down-hills.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

Go Bruins!
    I frequent Bear Brook, Pawtuckaway, Mt Agamenticus, Willowdale, Fomba, and my local trails at Fort Rock in Exeter. I've been to Lynn Woods a few times. Really fun, but you need to keep focus at all times or you will get hurt there. Strangely, I haven't hit Vietnam yet, but it is on a list for the summer since it is less than two hours from me.

Anyway, I think Wendall SF has the most appeal to me right now. Fort Rock is known for being a rocky technical challenge and from what I've read about Wendall, it sounds right up my alley. I can take 91 north to rt 2 and still use the pike for some of the drive home. Driving the whole rt 2 corridor seems like it would take awhile. Anybody up for an around lunch time guided tour on Sunday 7/1?

Thanks for the replies guys.