mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Trail Report from Myles Standish

I usually ghost the forum however, decided to post. Myles Standish aka "Sandish" is usually a joke to ride in the summer due to the Sand in the back area of Bently loop, however I do something to report from there

I went for a ride about two weeks ago, and I'm sad to report the area for the most part is offically useless to ride due to the Blizzard. This goes for trail runners too. Over at Easthead Res. At my last count there are 13 trees down once your get 3/4 the way around the 2.72mile loop. At that 3/4 mark, the tree is down acorss vertical on the trail and it's not passable. I was forced to backtrack my way up to the paved path back to the range station and the bike path is even in worse shape. I spoke to a ranger that was doing clearing work on the bike path and it was stated to me "It's going to be at a minimium until mary before we get this stuff off the path. Last time we had a storm like this it took us over two years to get the trails cleared, however with the budget... it will probably take longer"

Additionally it was reported that the Massasoit Lung Opener was cancelled by DCR - they will not issue a permit due to "envornmental condtions" i.e. storm stuff at the park.

mtbr member
    Yep, DCR is severely understaffed, if what I see around here is any indication. There are maybe 3 rangers here responsible for Freetown, Dighton Rock state park, and a couple of other parks too. The ranger flat out told me that they never get out on the trails. They never make it past open and closing gates and keeping the roads clear and equipment running.

Myself and a group of 4-5 others have been working to clear trails in Freetown and its been a brutal winter.We're struggling to keep a 12ish mile loop clear and the rest of the forest is in many places unpassable. There are miles and miles of trails that haven't been touched by anyone yet.

That sucks that the lung opener was cancelled. Funny thing is, a guy just posted up a different thread saying that Massassoit was clear and ready to ride.
    NEMBA Freetown VP