Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trail conditions on the Cape???

I live in Worcester and with the last storm, the trails are kind of messy. I was thinking of making a trip out to the Cape this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows the trail conditions at Otis or TOT? I know thaat the Cape got rain from this past storm, but I wanted to confirm before I made the trip.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    I spoke to a friend who rode TOT's on sunday and said they were in great condition.

!snotrocket!
    rode otis sunday and the pine hills this morning and it's all clear, well except for the leaves.

Rider of Bikes
    Whats the best place to ride on the cape? I'd like to hit up some riding this winter. Coming down from N. Andover. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm Better known as Splat

mtbr member
    Generally speaking the places to ride are Otis (mass military in
    falmouth), Trail of Tears (W Barnstable), Yarmouth and Nickerson. Tears and Otis would be closest to the bridge. Right now it's a little bit soggy with wet leaves but we usually dry out pretty quickly.

Otis has great singletrack and some really good technical riding
    Tears is buffed out --fast rolling singletrack.

If you know your way around you can easily find 12-15-20 miles of trail without going around in circles at either place.

On weekends, therre are usually lot's of people out on the trail. Last winter it was pretty unrideable from Christmas to Valentine's day due to snow cover so we'll just have to see what we get this winter. Often times the Cape will be one of the few places in MA without substantial snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpa2000
    Whats the best place to ride on the cape? I'd like to hit up some riding this winter. Coming down from N. Andover. Thanks!

Rider of Bikes
    Thanks,

I see TOT have great trail maps.

Does the same go for Otis? How do the military take to riding on a base?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Whats the best trail map for TOT? gonna try to get down there in a week or so. never been
    2009 Scott Scale 20
    2005 S-works Epic

Rider of Bikes

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the map will help when we go to ToT.

Hope the weather will hold up {a.k.a. good weather} over the Christmas/Holiday weekend. Family will head down to Hyannis that weekend and will take the bikes with us. Now gotta find stuff for the girls to do as they don't ride with us just yet.

mtbr member
    Oh shoot. The Cape got pounded over the weekend just 1 week before we plan on riding ToT. You think all those snow will melt and make ToT rideable next Sunday?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fda47
    Oh shoot. The Cape got pounded over the weekend just 1 week before we plan on riding ToT. You think all those snow will melt and make ToT rideable next Sunday?

sure
    and naked nymphs will go out and groom the trails too

mtbr member
    gotta be there to watch them nymphs do the grooming

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i live in plymouth and cross the bridge pretty often if you want a update later in the week just post up here and i will let you know how it is. i think saturday is sapost to be like 52... my gut instinct says even if the snow does melt it is going to be super soft and muddy.

mtbr member
    Let us know. Right now I'm getting ready to ski. But I wouldn't mind driving to the Cape Sunday if conditions are right.

mtbr member
    It's not looking good. I was in FL for the storm and the snow around TF Green airport in RI looks to be about 8" less than the cape. RI may be a better bet than the Cape. My house abuts Trail of Tears and there is a good 20-23" here. The parking lots @ the trailhead are not even plowed. Went for a walk on the fireroad with the dog and turned back after 30 yards - too deep for even the dog to mush through. Some of it is melting but the forcast looks to be cold and wet. I saw 46 degrees on the Weather Channel for Saturday, but they just posted 38 on NECN?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu
    Let us know. Right now I'm getting ready to ski. But I wouldn't mind driving to the Cape Sunday if conditions are right.

the other guy gave better details but if you are looking to ride this weekend i doubt the cape is going to be rideable in four days. i would actually put money on it not being even close to rideable on sunday...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I dont think the trails will be rideable until the temps hover around 45f for a few days or we get rain this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oh well! Got out on skis in Duxbury for 2.5 hours this morning. A little less than 2 feet of snow there too. Had a good ski, I don't think I've ever skied in snow that deep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I live less than 10 min from the Trail of Tears..We got 16" solid of snow..I'm hoping we get a meltdown this week so that next weekend might be a possibility...I'll try to update the progress as the snow in my front yard disappears.

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Gabriel,
    Looking forward to your post re: updated conditions. I'll be in the area around New Year's and was hoping to hit Barnstable. Looks like rain and higher temps for the next few days and then another freeze cycle. Could be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, the good news is that a large amount of the snow has melted overnight...The bad news is that they are forecasting snow at the end of this week, which could ruin the chance for a weekend ride. Fingers crossed this will change. Just give me a snow free 40 degree day, and i'll be out there testing out a freshly rebuilt singlespeed..

-Gabe

mtbr member
    Amazing how much snow has washed away in the last 24 hrs on Cape, but, the trails will be swamped for some time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel J
    Well, the good news is that a large amount of the snow has melted overnight...The bad news is that they are forecasting snow at the end of this week, which could ruin the chance for a weekend ride. Fingers crossed this will change. Just give me a snow free 40 degree day, and i'll be out there testing out a freshly rebuilt singlespeed..

-Gabe
    Gabe,
    Let me know when you go out, I live five minutes from Tot and ride a SS 29er.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longshanks
    Amazing how much snow has washed away in the last 24 hrs on Cape, but, the trails will be swamped for some time.
    Sub-freezing temps should make the Cape trails good to ride, I think. I just hope they don't get hit with any more snow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast