Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

trail conditions....

16K views 120 replies 52 participants last post by  crunky 
#1 ·
figured I'd start a thread with trail conditions... got to be some places that didn't get any snow... I know anything southern NH is out.

#60 ·
Rode (walked?) LLF today. I'd say 2/3rds to half of the trails have had snow shoe/foot traffic to the point of making a path. Of that, I'd say only half of it is packed enough to ride. Still better than sitting inside, but by the end I kind of wished I'd just done a road ride. I doubt the incoming storm will result in any improvement unless it is mostly rain.

#67 ·
I walked 3mi w/chainsaw Saturday and "rode" 3mi at ToT Tuesday. It's a complete mess. Dozens of downed trees and and endless amount of debris in the trails. If you have a nice derailleur or wheelset I would say be prepared to purchase some new parts if you venture out this weekend...Much of the snow has melted leaving a soggy, littered area. I'm planning on doing more trail maintenance Saturday and possibly Sunday, focusing on the large tree/branch removal. The smaller stuff will take some time, and an effort from all using the trail system.

As far as Otis goes, it was in better overall condition and more rideable as of Tuesday night, with the exception of some of the valleys that are still covered with snow. Still a lot of debris...And will now also be pretty soft due to the rain.

-Gabe

#68 ·
As far as Otis goes, it was in better overall condition and more rideable as of Tuesday night, with the exception of some of the valleys that are still covered with snow. Still a lot of debris...And will now also be pretty soft due to the rain.

-Gabe
Since Otis is so sandy do you think it will be decent to ride by Saturday?

#79 ·
Myles Standish trail conditions....

We rode some miles on the paved bike paths at Myles Standish state forest for spinning fun. There were lots of blow downs out there too with some sections of slushy wet snow.
Still managed to click off 12.5 miles before we got called back for Sunday dinner. We parked at the long pond road entrance and rode in.

#80 ·
Wompatuck is still pretty dicey, but rideable. I rode for a few miles. There is some slushy snow here and there you have to walk through and there are also a lot of downed trees and debris. I'd give it a couple more week of above freezing temps and it will be much better.

#82 ·
LLF was too soft to ride today. Some south facing sections were cleared of snow. I'd guess it would be almost entirely dirt within a week at this rate with the exception of north facing areas that had deep drifts. Of course that doesn't take into account the supposed 10" of snow coming this week. Arrrghhhhh!!!!!!! I got so spoiled last year.

#87 ·
You do know LW is closed to riding until April 15'th right????
If you didn't know, please refrain from riding, the trails are soaked and riding now creates erosion and ruts. More importantly it also irritates the power that be, the Ranger... We as a riding community have a decent repore with Dan Small the Ranger, but blatantly posting riding like this is not good....
The amount of water in the woods this year is substantial. Please let it leach out until properly dry, its common sense...
Do yourself and rest of the riding community that ride in LW a favor and wait until 4/15/2013...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.