Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

trail conditions....

16K views 120 replies 52 participants last post by  crunky 
#1 ·
figured I'd start a thread with trail conditions... got to be some places that didn't get any snow... I know anything southern NH is out.

#28 ·
Trying to post iphone 4S photos for you with little luck.

To answer your question before the Otis Crew kicks in, most of the Cape has 2-4 inches of wind-blown blower "cold smoke' snow. Not very heavy, but the snow's (getting) "old"...best riding for me has been off the beaten path of the Big 3 and the recon for freshies. Seen few MTB tracks, but it's been a little chilly, as of late.

Been catching a FREEZING 1-2 hours each day since the last storm with Studs.
Sorry to say, IMHO, without studs, I would'nt ride...Just one Man's Opinion, I'm sure others will beg to differ. I'll try to update "Cape Report" with Pics, however....:confused: that remains to be (un)seen :skep:

Can you ride studless, hell Ya !!! The snows cold & light, but pure ice patches here & there, hurt like hell when I hit the ground and are enough of a threat to keep the metal on.

Hope this is a little insight for ya. Be nice if you I could just text a messege with photos...oh well, head hurts, almost time to "Gear Up" it's nice and sunny,10 degrees w/stiff breeze, Ya Baby !
-chris

#32 ·
Yesterday Lowell-Dracut was in very nice shape, a little snow in shadowed parts, minimal ice on the trail, and some trails bone dry as summer and dusty. Today LLF was in pretty similar shape. I would imagine Harold-Parker would be much the same.

I expect Monday to be an excellent riding day, and the rest of the week a craps shoot, depending on the mix of snow/sleet/rain we get.

#36 ·
Rode Cutler park yesterday morning with sunshine and temps in the teens. Trails are in good shape - a dusting of snow on grippy, frozen dirt. Looks like the warm weather coming our way will soften things up for a little bit. I hope to get out again this week.

#44 ·
Conditions were once again fantastic today in Uxbridge. The ground was frozen solid. Congrats though to the bone heads who decided to ride the Wolf Hill/West Hill Dam areas during the thaw and cause about 10 miles of trail damage. We followed your frozen, 3in deep tire marks for a good portion of our ride today. Other than that.....great ride!

Bicycle Cloud Sky Land vehicle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle Tire Plant Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

#51 ·
The Landlocked Forest in Burlington is running nice (without studs). I was there on Saturday, so I haven't checked it out after the little bit of snow we had Saturday night/Sunday, but it wasn't enough precipitation to leave ice behind.
I'm going to ride Belmont/Rock Meadow/Western Greenway today (which nobody else rides, but I do because it's a short ride from my front door and I can't get 16-18 miles of trail riding in) and I'll report back. I'm sure it will be fine without studs though. The dirt is frozen and the trails should be running like pavement with extra knobs in the dirt for nice traction.

#55 ·
I went out to do some chainsawing in Duxbury today. Trains were so soft and slippery that I couldn't ride the Pugsley, so I left it in the truck and walked and cut, and walked and cut, and walked and cut...

It's an absolute mess out there, still needs more work. And we're supposed to get another 4 inches tonight. Maybe bring the snowshoes tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.