Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

trail conditions....

16K views 120 replies 52 participants last post by  crunky 
#1 ·
figured I'd start a thread with trail conditions... got to be some places that didn't get any snow... I know anything southern NH is out.

#22 ·
The trails at the Fells were in great shape today. Snow was tacky and smooth. View attachment 750809

I was a bit worried becasue my tires, racing ralphs, are pretty tough in the wet. But they held nicely. This is a bit like a ski report, as time of day today would make a big differnce. I was there from 1230-200.
View attachment 750810
Notaskitrail, looks like you got a 2013 Flash Carbon 3? Liking it? I really like the new Lefty - way smoother than the Lefty on my Niner.

#15 · (Edited)
Rode ToT this morning. They had about a half inch of new snow over crunchy snow with a bit of ice. East of Chase Rd was pretty good riding without studs. West of Chase had seen little to no traffic and was softer and tougher riding (not to mention hillier). Small microclimates had created a few bare areas which were small oases from the suffering. Definitely a good workout!

Here's where we rode.

Reactions: Cobretti
#6 ·
5-8" due to arrive tomorrow for most areas that have no snow. Dry dirt season may have ended. Get out the fat bikes, snow tires, or skis....or those other bikes (the road bike).

#7 ·
Wompy conditions 1/1

Was at Wompy today. Trails are in great shape, could go with or without studs...but I like studs. A single inch, tops, on the trails, with icy spots under and exposed. Good stuff just south of Boston.

And, with the current 10 day forecast, we get thru the cold until Friday, then a bit of a thaw, with no snow in the 10 day. Cold nights, high 30's low 40's daytime highs. Trails will be in good shape

#10 ·
I snowshoed Goat Hill in Uxbridge on Tuesday and there is plenty of snow still on the ground. THe main trails along the river have been packed in by hikers and snowshoers, but would probably only be fun on a fat bike.

I'll be riding rode tomorrow and probably heading down to coastal RI for Sunday.....

#16 ·
Trail riding in Pittsfield state Forest now is AWESOME but, you need to get out when the temps are low. Things get churny and soft when temps hit 30. Snowshoe racers have trampled down some nice singletrack and the snowmobilers have packed some doubletrack. The key is when you go. Mid day riding with the sun makes for a painful ride, early mornings and brisk temps create some epic opportunities . Loving the fat ride :)

#17 ·
Rode Wompy tonight. Pretty much bare on the singletrack/trails, mixed with a bit of ice & snow here and there. The paved roads were a bit more gnarly (if you intended on doing anything but rolling straight) mix of bare, crunchy snow, and ice. There were some wet spots on the trails but they were refreezing rapidly. I'd expect the daytime riding to be a lot softer and muddier in spots over the next few days.

#18 ·
I rode over at Callahan yesterday. Trials are 50% clear by my estimate. Go when everything is still frozen and it should be a great ride. The Framingham side is a little more clear than the Marlboro side.

I also rode at BLLF mid-week last week. Most of the trails had 1-4" of packed snow on them. I imagine they should be pretty clear now after the warm last couple of days.

#20 ·
Just rode Callahan. Not too bad. Some thawing, a little bit of mud in low spots, but there were plenty of spots where it was decent. I rode both sides, Framingham and Marlboro, and the Marllboro side was in better shape. Felt awesome to ride outside today in mid January. Trails should be drier by the latter 1/2 of the week, but colder temps move in. Might go ride at Great Brook tomorrow.

#21 ·
Freetown is wet, fire roads have wet clay that suck down the normal mtb tire. However, if you are riding a fat bike like the OG of fat bikes the Tinman was riding yesterday, then you were just gliding and giggling at us mere mortals. If and when this freezes up with no snow cover, it will be a fast, fun, scary mess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.