trail conditions....

Printable View

• 02-05-2013
    dirtdan
    The Landlocked Forest in Burlington is running nice (without studs). I was there on Saturday, so I haven't checked it out after the little bit of snow we had Saturday night/Sunday, but it wasn't enough precipitation to leave ice behind.
    I'm going to ride Belmont/Rock Meadow/Western Greenway today (which nobody else rides, but I do because it's a short ride from my front door and I can't get 16-18 miles of trail riding in) and I'll report back. I'm sure it will be fine without studs though. The dirt is frozen and the trails should be running like pavement with extra knobs in the dirt for nice traction.
  • 02-05-2013
    gouveiad
    Any info on Russell Mill?

I'm looking to head there for an AM ride (before the snow). The temps look cold enough to keep things frozen in the AM.
  • 02-05-2013
    dirtdan
    Western Greenway was good. Except for the tree that I clipped and resulted in a shoulder separation... Trail was nice and hard though.
  • 02-08-2013
    Aust95
    Errrr...not too good...just got in 30 mins ago from riding, it's 5:30pm Friday. Windy and snow accumulating quickly.
  • 02-16-2013
    dirtyjack
    I went out to do some chainsawing in Duxbury today. Trains were so soft and slippery that I couldn't ride the Pugsley, so I left it in the truck and walked and cut, and walked and cut, and walked and cut...

It's an absolute mess out there, still needs more work. And we're supposed to get another 4 inches tonight. Maybe bring the snowshoes tomorrow.
  • 02-18-2013
    dundundata
    solution: hoverbikes
  • 02-20-2013
    wgreaney
    Is duxbury completly unrideable? Im looking to go this weekend.
  • 02-20-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wgreaney View Post
    Is duxbury completly unrideable? Im looking to go this weekend.

Absolutely. Way too soft and deep in most places.

A better bet would be trying to ride the snowmobile tracks in Wompy.
  • 02-22-2013
    dirtyjack
    We rode 14 miles in Wompy last night. The singletrack is mostly breakable crust and near impossible to ride. The paved roads are covered in crunchy snow and ice where the snowmobiles have been. fast and slick and a lot of fun. Studs would be helpful in places, but we all survived without them.
  • 02-22-2013
    car_nut
    Rode (walked?) LLF today. I'd say 2/3rds to half of the trails have had snow shoe/foot traffic to the point of making a path. Of that, I'd say only half of it is packed enough to ride. Still better than sitting inside, but by the end I kind of wished I'd just done a road ride. I doubt the incoming storm will result in any improvement unless it is mostly rain.
  • 02-22-2013
    adinpapa
    Anyone know how the Cape is looking? or Long Island? I'm from Western MA and in search of dirt for March 2, 3 ....hopefully don't have to drive to PA.
  • 02-25-2013
    solo-x
    Anybody know how Foxboro, 'Nam or Plummers Landing look after the latest storm? Are any of those locations close to rideable?
  • 02-25-2013
    JSumner13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Anybody know how Foxboro, 'Nam or Plummers Landing look after the latest storm? Are any of those locations close to rideable?

I hear the snow mobile tracks on the fire roads at Foxy are rideable if frozen. With temps in the 40s this week it would probably be pretty sloppy during the day. Not sure about Uxbridge or Nam.
  • 02-25-2013
    VTSession
    Quote:

Originally Posted by solo-x View Post

There is some warm temps and rain coming this week. If temps agree, maybe some trails will be rideable by next week.
  • 02-26-2013
    SofaKing Fast
    Any trail reports for Otis or ToT?
  • 02-26-2013
    dirtdan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    Any trail reports for Otis or ToT?

I'm also interested on locations in the Cape. Would love to try and get a ride in somewhere on Sunday if trail conditions permit.
  • 02-28-2013
    Gabriel J
    I walked 3mi w/chainsaw Saturday and "rode" 3mi at ToT Tuesday. It's a complete mess. Dozens of downed trees and and endless amount of debris in the trails. If you have a nice derailleur or wheelset I would say be prepared to purchase some new parts if you venture out this weekend...Much of the snow has melted leaving a soggy, littered area. I'm planning on doing more trail maintenance Saturday and possibly Sunday, focusing on the large tree/branch removal. The smaller stuff will take some time, and an effort from all using the trail system.

As far as Otis goes, it was in better overall condition and more rideable as of Tuesday night, with the exception of some of the valleys that are still covered with snow. Still a lot of debris...And will now also be pretty soft due to the rain.

-Gabe
  • 02-28-2013
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    As far as Otis goes, it was in better overall condition and more rideable as of Tuesday night, with the exception of some of the valleys that are still covered with snow. Still a lot of debris...And will now also be pretty soft due to the rain.

-Gabe

Since Otis is so sandy do you think it will be decent to ride by Saturday?
  • 03-01-2013
    Gabriel J
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Since Otis is so sandy do you think it will be decent to ride by Saturday?

I think you should be good to go...Just watch out for kicked up debris in your wheels/drivetrain.

I spent another couple hours at ToT along with a half-dozen other locals and the amount of mess is staggering. Tomorrow is chainsaw day #2....Long ways to go.

-Gabe
  • 03-01-2013
    dirtdan
    Thanks for the updates and all your help on the trails!
  • 03-02-2013
    woodyak
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel J View Post
    I think you should be good to go...Just watch out for kicked up debris in your wheels/drivetrain.

I spent another couple hours at ToT along with a half-dozen other locals and the amount of mess is staggering. Tomorrow is chainsaw day #2....Long ways to go.

-Gabe

Thanks for the update. We had a great ride. The trails were bone dry. There was/is a lot of blow down. We moved what we could but someone will need to get in there with a chainsaw to really clear things out. It was great to be riding hero dirt when there is still tons of snow on our home trails.
  • 03-03-2013
    dirtdan
    Has anyone ridden Wompatuck recently? Otis sounds good, but Wompy is closer to me and I know the trails better so wouldn't mind hitting that instead. I'm shooting for a Wednesday ride...
  • 03-03-2013
    dirtyjack
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtdan View Post
    Has anyone ridden Wompatuck recently? Otis sounds good, but Wompy is closer to me and I know the trails better so wouldn't mind hitting that instead. I'm shooting for a Wednesday ride...

I heard the reservoir side is dryer than the south side. Still lots of blowdown.
  • 03-03-2013
    VTSession
    I'm going to give Wompy a go tomorrow afternoon. My new 29er is looking at me wonder when it will get ridden.
  • 03-03-2013
    dirtdan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I'm going to give Wompy a go tomorrow afternoon. My new 29er is looking at me wonder when it will get ridden.

I'm in the same category with a new pretty bicycle. I think I'm going to hit Otis on Wednesday. If it was dry already this weekend, it will be great on Wednesday. I'd like to go somewhere I know will be rolling nicely.
  • 03-04-2013
    VTSession
    I spoke to a friend of mine who rode Wompy on Sunday. He said there is still some snow and trail debris but he managed an 8 mile ride. Not ideal trail conditions, but he made it sound like it was ridable.
  • 03-04-2013
    dirtdan
    Thanks. Otis, or maybe TOT are looking like my two best choices still.
  • 03-04-2013
    wgreaney
    did Duxbury on sunday, All major downed trees are off the trails, all that is left is small debris. Make sure you have an extra tube and pump. Other than that was a great ride.

Thank you to all those who helped clean up the trails.
  • 03-04-2013
    crunky
    Myles Standish trail conditions....
    We rode some miles on the paved bike paths at Myles Standish state forest for spinning fun. There were lots of blow downs out there too with some sections of slushy wet snow.
    Still managed to click off 12.5 miles before we got called back for Sunday dinner. We parked at the long pond road entrance and rode in.
  • 03-05-2013
    VTSession
    Wompatuck is still pretty dicey, but rideable. I rode for a few miles. There is some slushy snow here and there you have to walk through and there are also a lot of downed trees and debris. I'd give it a couple more week of above freezing temps and it will be much better.
  • 03-05-2013
    Phierce
    Checkin out Wompy this weekend. Gonna see how far I can get.
  • 03-05-2013
    car_nut
    LLF was too soft to ride today. Some south facing sections were cleared of snow. I'd guess it would be almost entirely dirt within a week at this rate with the exception of north facing areas that had deep drifts. Of course that doesn't take into account the supposed 10" of snow coming this week. Arrrghhhhh!!!!!!! I got so spoiled last year.
  • 03-05-2013
    dirtdan
    A friend of mine road Otis today and said it was bone dry as is Duxbury. I think Greater Boston has a week or two to go until the trails are going to be okay. Even if we don't get snow, the rain will keep things wet. I'm planning on hitting Otis today.
  • 03-06-2013
    dirtdan
    I rode Otis. Definitely running well. Lots of pine needles and small pieces of debris everywhere tempting derailleur destruction, but all in all, it's rolling well.
  • 03-18-2013
    VTSession
    Good riding at Wompatuck over the weekend. No snow, but lots of down trees and sticks. We managed two 7-8 mile rides/clean up on Saturday and Sunday. Too bad another snow storm is coming. Get out there today if ya can.
  • 03-24-2013
    JohL
    Deleted due to comment below.
  • 03-27-2013
    Scarsandtears
    You do know LW is closed to riding until April 15'th right????
    If you didn't know, please refrain from riding, the trails are soaked and riding now creates erosion and ruts. More importantly it also irritates the power that be, the Ranger... We as a riding community have a decent repore with Dan Small the Ranger, but blatantly posting riding like this is not good....
    The amount of water in the woods this year is substantial. Please let it leach out until properly dry, its common sense...
    Do yourself and rest of the riding community that ride in LW a favor and wait until 4/15/2013...
  • 03-27-2013
    crunky
    Re: trail conditions....
    Clicking off 13 miles of my local trails. ( minot forest, and the weld property ) Lots of dead fall, and pine needles galore. We raked and removed lots of the branches... Still a couple of trees down.
  • 03-27-2013
    JohL
    @Scarsandtears: Thanks for letting me know, I had no clue! (Which is not an excuse of course). I deleted my post to not give a bad example.
  • 03-27-2013
    Scarsandtears
    JohL, much appreciated, by all who care and want to continue to ride in our beloved LW!!!
    ;)
    nicely done, see you on the trails soon.
  • 03-27-2013
    thecanoe
    Rode Trail of Tears today. Trails are in perfect condition.
  • 03-28-2013
    VTSession
    Trails are shaping up nicely on Boston's south shore, stoked for a weekend of mild temps
  • 03-28-2013
    goingblankagain
    Anyone ride anything around the Blackstone Valley lately? I've seen some bike racks in the lots at Plummers and Goat Hill but I have not had a chance to hike it. Thanks!
  • 03-28-2013
    solo-x
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    You do know LW is closed to riding until April 15'th right????
    If you didn't know, please refrain from riding, the trails are soaked and riding now creates erosion and ruts. More importantly it also irritates the power that be, the Ranger... We as a riding community have a decent repore with Dan Small the Ranger, but blatantly posting riding like this is not good....
    The amount of water in the woods this year is substantial. Please let it leach out until properly dry, its common sense...
    Do yourself and rest of the riding community that ride in LW a favor and wait until 4/15/2013...

I didn't see the deleted post. What riding location are you referring to as LW? Lincoln Woods, or some place else?
  • 03-28-2013
    Scarsandtears
    LW, referring to Lynn Woods.
  • 03-28-2013
    shreddin22
    trail conditions....
    I hear Robinson state park still is 20% snow. Earls trails to much snow to ride still. I'm assuming batchelor is the same.
  • 03-28-2013
    solo-x
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarsandtears View Post
    LW, referring to Lynn Woods.

Thank you!
  • 03-28-2013
    ne_dan
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goingblankagain View Post
    Anyone ride anything around the Blackstone Valley lately? I've seen some bike racks in the lots at Plummers and Goat Hill but I have not had a chance to hike it. Thanks!

I've heard it's in pretty good shape, almost completly snow free as of Wednesday night(3/27).
  • 03-28-2013
    RSPvideo
    Anybody been to Hail Reservation or Naonet Woods? Heading down that way from VT for the weekend and would love to get out if its dry enough.
  • 03-30-2013
    shreddin22
    trail conditions....
    Top of military road Hadley mass looked dry hiked it a little. Use caution and best judgement walk where it is super muddy. Some idiots have rutted the entrance. Thanks for ruining what you didn't help build. Lets not give them more of a reason to **** down trails!!!