mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Tires that you use on MA trails?

Dear Everyone,

I have the following sets of tires that I can place onto my bike (2009 Dawg Deluxe) as the standard set of tires:

1) Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1"
    2) Maxxis Inginitors 2.35"
    3) Maxxis Highrollers 2.35"
    4) Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF 2.35"

Any that you recommend. I do mainly XC singletracks that can have quite a few roots and rocks.

Cheers,

John

the test dummy
    i love my high rollers work awesome i use them in nam
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

usually cranky
    2.35 ignitors all day!

mtbr member
    1. Mtn Kings 29 x 2.2"
    2. WTB Stout 29 x 2.3"

I'm from the streets!!
    Sep 2008
    Front: 2.25 WTB Mutano Raptors (meaty directional tire, lots of confidence in all conditions)
    Rear: 2.25 Kenda Nevegal (this tire is tough! It laughs at snakebites and bites back!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My new 2.25 WTB Moto Raptors have been treating me well on my Transition Vagrant. I just wore out a pair of 2.35 Maxxis Minions that worked great for a couple seasons.

For a lighter weight XC tire, 2.1 Maxxis Crossmarks have worked as well as 2.0 WTB EpicWolf.

Tires that don't work so hot are 2.35 Maxxis Highroller. Too heavy and not ideal for wet conditions.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Currently Im running the kenda nevegal 2.35 on the front and Kenda small block eight 2.1 in the rear. I love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am having great luck with my IRC Trailbear tires in MA. It is very similar to the Panaracer Fire (a friend rides those and loves them but not quite as tough as the IRC but it rolls a little easier)

Tool
    I run a Dart/Smoke classic combo. I haven't compared them to many other tires, but they do the trick: they are light and cheap @$21/ea. for 560g tires. They also work well when run tubeless (the sidewalls sealed much more easily than the Maxxis tires I tried). These are 2.1" tires.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    well, i don't have a ton to go on as i've only ridden once with them, but i'm digging my new set up of WTB Timberwolf 2.5 on front (probably more than i need, but, sweet), and Highroller 2.35 on back.

set up seemed to work real well in the soggy parts and the dry parts it was just tearing it up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wet Screams - for snow

2.1 Prowler MX - for mud, bad for rocks,mediocre for roots, and mediocre rolling resistance

2.35 Minion Super Tacky - very good in all terrain, especially wet rocks, and roots. But has high rolling resistance

Mythos Semi-Slicks - very fast but takes some getting use to. It is bad for rocks and poor-mediocre for everything else.

2.1 Weirwolf - good all around tire but clogs easily in mud faster rolling than Powler MX and close to the Serac.

2.1 Serac - fairly fast but not as fast as the Mythos semi-slick good-mediocre all around

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    been riding since 1986...best tire I have ever ridden....kenda nevegal 2.35

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Of the tires you mentioned, I would choose the Ignitors. I run the 2.1" version on a couple bikes (all 29ers) and find they work great in a variety of conditions. I've ridden them in a bunch of places stretching from PA to VT & NH.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    VT session, I have to dissagree with you on the Maxxis High rollers 2.35. IMO these tires were the best tires for MA riding I have ever used, run tubless with low pressure (25psi) and even in the wet they were great. I wish they made a 29er version but until they do I think the 2.4 Maxxis Ardents are sweet!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Are you running these with or without tubes??? With tubes, use something with a good sidewall-The Maxxis Advantage 2.4 are great, as are the Schwalbe Big Betty's (or even the snakeskin version Nobby Nics-faster, but less all-terrain traction). And stay away from any Kenda product.

If you're going Tubeless (UST, Stan's, or Ghetto)-I've had great luck with Kenda Tires (it's weird, but they just work well, in fact much better, with stans or ghetto tubeless). Lately I've been running Kenda Nevegal Stick-E 2.35 front and rear, on stan's rims tubeless and, while they ain't the fastest tire, They hold traction in the slimiest and boniest of trails (and I don't sweat rolling resistance too much because I figure nothing adds to your rolling resistance like falling down!).

That said, Three of the best riders I know ride the cheapest tires than can find (never paying more 15 bucks for a tire-one guy swears by the cheap Performance Forte Tires, another by older IRC's)-worrying about tire choice seems to be more of a past time for medium-skilled bike hackers like me.

mtbr member
    I have been using high rollers on the trail for 2 seasons and love them. Rode 2 hours in the rain, roots and mud last night and they excelled.