Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Gotta disagree on the Knards. Pretty condition/terrain specific tire dude, don't be fooled. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you just haven't tried anything different yet so don't know how good it will be and no those Vee things don't count.

I think that a tire with varying knob heights and significant knob wrap around the outer edge is important for any riding in the northeast. We have so many different conditions in the space of one ride that you really need three different tires and so many rocks and assorted other sidewall damaging impediments that if you don't have enough side knob protrusion your traction and sidewall protection becomes inconsistent. Overall I've had the best luck with Conti Trail Kings but the Mt King should be just as good outside of very wet conditions and the X King is a fantastic dry/hardpack tire.
    in 25 years mtb i've tried and raced on MANY tire types from super chunky knobby shitty rollers to ritchey speedmax wcs (wicked fast awesome tires).

the knards do have great wrap around side knobs and the tire sports a nice round tire profile on 80mm rims. the knob heights are varying even if not super deep. i ride super rocky rooty jagged terrain and the knards have been great even in morning when everythings damp and sweating. plus they roll fantastically. i'll prolly get some nates for snow, but.

people just ride differently, many relying on tread to get through **** well. others ride differently and pick better lines, weight and unweight, and angle the bike to more effectively get through stuff and thern roll way better all along.

rog

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    having to brake 10 feet earlier than usual is not a "good" choice in my opinion. slow rock crawling through like the rock gardens of wompatuck? sure. but the turns up on the hill? nah. new england sees too much variety for that kind of tire, which IMO really excels on gravel and hardpack and rock....but lots of tires do well on rock and hardpack.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    heheh Rog rides gravel and hardpack

Explains everything

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    having to brake 10 feet earlier than usual is not a "good" choice in my opinion. slow rock crawling through like the rock gardens of wompatuck? sure. but the turns up on the hill? nah. new england sees too much variety for that kind of tire, which IMO really excels on gravel and hardpack and rock....but lots of tires do well on rock and hardpack.
    I've spent many a day riding wompy. Sometimes in the rain. Never been on a bad tire in there so long as it was rubber. Braking?! Now there's your issue. Don't do it. It just slows you down

rog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3