Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008

Thurs the 27th Earles Group Ride-Which Club?

This past Thursday I happened upon a huge group ride at Earle's. Anyone know who this was? How to get in touch with them?

Thanks.

Hassan

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If there was a plethora of Specialized Bikes and shirts-it was probably the Competitive Edge gang from the Hadley Store on RTE 9 (this group often includes Earl himself-as in Earl's Trails...).

If it was them, keepi in mind, though their rides are open to anyone, it is a rippin' fast ride, no waiting so you'll need to keep up or be self-sufficient.

I think the Northampton Cyclcing Club (NCC) has been running some Earl's ride, too-I think they post a schedule of their rides on their website.

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Liam.
    No Earl, but, I wish it was Chucky and the crew as they are always good for trash talk session. Every ride I've done with them has been.... priceless. I think I still have part of one of my earlobes left.

Not sure if the group I encountered was local or not, as I didn't really recognize many folks. It was a group of at least 20 with at least one NCC guy. Pretty sure however, that it wasn't an NCC ride as I was riding with some active members and they had no clue either. Most of em' were a little older (40+). A lot of em' had matching jerseys?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, then that's curious, other than Comp Edge, I have no idea who else runs that big of a crew on Earl's. -I wonder who that was, too. Damn, but there are a lot of riders out these days-I'm surprised How many I don't know (over the last 4 days I've run into 6-7 riders on the Deerfield Ridge I'd never seen beforte...no one in my crew knew them either...and we all built those trails!).

Guess mtb-ing in the PV is on the rise again (I got to remember to start plugging club membership again...which I hate doing!).

Liam

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    I think that growing NEMBA's membership would solve a lot of the problems that we risk, and are, seeing again (not sure if people remember some of the less pleasant aspects of mtb in the valley from the first boom in the the late 80's). The 'widening' of trails, the amount of trash, and lack biking ettiquette will only continue to grow without the work of groups like yours.

Hell, you just convinced me (or I convinced myself) to throw down some cash and join your club again.

mtbr member
    Throwing money at NEMBA is fine, going out and doing trailwork is better and more effective. That's my shameless, righteous plug. Do both and maybe they'll reserve a spot for you in heaven.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Smelly if not in heaven, at least on perpetually heavenly Single Track.

Thanks for re-upping the membership. See you all on the trails.

Liam - I don't think it was an NCC group. They are all CX this time of the year (thus the course in my field).

Seth at NE Bikes does a regular Thursday group, though they don't usually get that far north, that could be who it was.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...