Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thunder Mountain 2016

5K views 41 replies 15 participants last post by  harold.green1 
#1 ·
Good Morning,

We are putting together our list of patrollers for the summer season. Early word is that we'll be open 6 days a week in the peak season, fewer early and late in the year. Opening will be sometime in April if the weather holds, so our Spring Refresher/Training Session will be coming up soon. I'll keep everyone up to date with the schedule as it gets finalized.

With that in mind there are a few of things you all should do:
o Everyone Past, Present, Future, please fill out a 2016 season online employment application at: Employment Application | Berkshire East Mountain Resort
o Let me know your preferred day(s) - we'll need volunteers and Paid Patrollers every operating day.
o Get your bikes tuned up
o Check your summer patrol pack for required supplies
o Join our bike park patrol facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1644892089058124/
o Follow the Thunder Mountain Bike Park page https://www.facebook.com/Thunder-Mountain-Bike-Park-337836503082947/
o Email me copies of your current medical credentials (WFR, OEC or EMT and Professional Rescuer CPR) - For those without one of these certs, the NSP Western Mass Region is doing an OEC course in the Berkshires starting soon. Email me for details.
o If you didn't patrol last year, get me your resume'
o Spread the word to other qualified, interested candidates

To whet your appetites... https://www.facebook.com/chris.conrad.1654/posts/932704336818611:0

Also, if you know anyone interested, there are openings for Shop Techs, Lift Attendants and Operators, Bike Guides and Trail Crew, please send them to the employment-application page.

See you all soon,

Harold Green
Thunder Mountain Bike Park
Patrol Director
harold at berkshireeast dot com

See less See more
#9 ·
So far it's been a great early season, though a bit of a soggy one (reminiscent of last year's opening). BUt-The new trails are great (I'm really impressed with Juggernaut: it's a black diamond singletrackish trail that blends the diversity of Wine tree with the DH pitch of schist. For those of you that liked wine tree but wished for a less pedaling and more pitch-this is your trail!)-and the ongoing labor and love going into Hawleywood is stunningly impressive...It's going to be the most significant Black diamond flowing jump trail on the East coast...though, i'll never ride it--I'm just too chicken to court that level of high-flying consequence. But I am looking forward to watching all those new school rippers ride the heck out of it.

I'll there in red and white on Saturday--hopefully you'll only see me for social reasons!
: )

#10 ·
I'm calling it: as of around 2pm on Saturday Trillium is the (and will be continue to be) the best built Bike park trail of 2016...anywhere. And, it still needs a little bit of spit and polish, but even as is, you'd be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable, flowing, exciting, wide-range of appeal trail. Solid intermediates up to ripping experts are going to dig this trail...it's the non-jump trail compliment to The Gronk and a wonderful skills precursor to Billy Badger.

#11 ·
The guys building the trail yesterday let me and a few guys duck the tape and get fresh tracks about 20 minutes before it opened- soooo much fun. My second time riding lift serviced and I'm having a blast. Cant wait to get back!

Also- a shout out to the crew putting in the hard work and building the trails. Really well done!

#12 ·
Did you guys make Hawleywood more intermediate friendly? I just watched some videos and it looks like some of the doubles that had hay bails in the middle are now gone, and boards in place. Looks like now if you don't clear the doubles you wont be in as much trouble.......

#15 ·
So I decided to reserve a timing chip for my 1st ever Enduro on August 7th with ESC. This is truly my 1st ever mtn bike race so I'm a bit nervous. Any advice or input for a first timer? My main goal is to just finish... I know experience will bring more confidence, but surviving and having fun are really all I'm hoping for.

#18 ·
Thanks! I think I've ridden most of those trails. Wine Tree has a pretty sketchy rock roll/chute near the top that sent me over the bars a week or two ago. Unfortunately, I have my cousin's wedding on the 6th, so I won't be able to come out for a practice day.

How much climbing will be required?

#26 ·
I'll be at the race on the 7th, and I'm wondering about tire selection. I currently run a Minion-like front (Bontrager SE5) and semi-slick on the rear (Spec Slaughter), and I'm wondering if the fast rear tire will be perfect for the smooth hardpack or just a plain Bad Idea for a race day.

I think in a perfect world I'd throw an Aggressor on the rear, but good luck finding one of those in a Double Down casing (outside the EWS pits). Any thoughts?

#30 ·
Agreed. Great info.
Our group loved Wine Tree and Trillium. Schist kicked our asses, really challenging on getting your line right. We rolled Hawleywood and where amazed at the size of the jumps and drops. Would be tons of fun if we had the balls to keep speed to clear the jumps.

Side note: We rented bikes and were disappointed in the staff on not setting them up to our sizes or showing us how to adjust the suspension. My bike was very poor and suggest checking it out before riding with the staff to dial in.

#31 ·
Thanks to Harold and the rest of the Thunder Mountain crew for getting the trails prepped for today! The ESC crew was great as well. 1st enduro down... definitely won't be my last. For missing the practice days and running the trails blind, I can't complain. I was pushing too hard on Wine Tree and had an off, but I finished. Mission accomplished!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.