Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

thudbuster

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  jeff c 
#1 ·
Just curious who's using a thudbuster seatpost here in Mass? As well as your opinions in regards to the short or long travel versions for our area. I'm just shy of 200 lbs riding a 29er hardtail. Any input is appreciated.

#2 ·
I've never used the thudbuster, but I did use suspension seatposts back before I had a full suspension.

I did think the suspension post was worth it for the rocky trails around here. I was able to ride longer with less discomfort. Nothing beats a true full suspension, but the thudbuster is a heck of a lot cheaper than a whole new bike.

Obviously you'll have to make your own choice as to the travel, but how do you ride? For basic cross country the short travel model should be good enough. Too much travel and you may notice it, its a little weird because as the post compresses the distance between your seat and your pedals shrinks. I think the post I used had a couple of inches (maybe 3) of travel, just enough to take the edge off, too much and you might feel like you're bobbing around. If you're doing some drops and going over some bigger stuff maybe go with the long travel model.

#4 ·
I have a slightly used USE ALIEN Suspension Seatpost (27.2) that I'd like to sell.

Check the Sus seat post reviews on mtbr review, you'll see this is a more highly regarded sus seat post than the thud buster.

FWIW, the posts make a pretty big difference, and I'd still use mine if it it fit my current bike.

PM me if interested.

#6 ·
I used a Rock Shox seatost about 10 years ago on my hardtail. I improved the ride a little. I then went dual sus and eventually back to a hardtail (29er). A suspension seatpost will improve the ride of your hardtail, although it's a temporary fix and you should eventually plan on dual suspension. .

#7 ·
Not Thudbuster, rockshox

I used a rockshox suspension post prior to buying a full squish 10 years ago. It was very effective at taking out the harsh root and rock garden jolts when set up right. I could remain seated through many sections that I had to stand previously.

To detract, because of the sag factor, the post will rise to a higher than optimal point when unweighted. During drops and descents when you get behind the saddle for weight and balance, you can have trouble getting back on to the seat from behind. Awkward moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.