mtbr member
    Apr 2012

... and if we just ... Are there any decent riding spots near or in Medford?

I just got to Tufts U as an international student, so I don't have cars.
    I need to find some place reachable for all mountain/trail riding.
    I thought that Middlesex Reserve might be a decent place, but what about other places for fun?
    Another question, the LBS
    JRA seems have a great reputation compared to Ace's bad service,
    so which store you prefer...
    I REALLY LIKE specialized and Santa cruz, but JRA does not sell these bikes,,..

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    Check out Landlocked Forest in Lexington, it is somewhat close to Medford.

Also, there are some trails in Belmont, behind the McLean Hospital and across the street around Mill and Duck ponds.

My preference on LBS is JRA. However, if you aren't impressed with the service at the WheelWorks in Somerville, give their store in Belmont a try. I used to live in Belmont and never had an issue with that shop.
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    come join the Thurs. night GBNEMBA rides at the Fells or Landlocked and we'll show you around!

The Fells is closest to you, FYI. Landlocked is about 15 minutes. Other EXCELLENT spots:
    Russell Mills in Chelmsford
    Lowell/Dracut State Forest in Lowell.
    Great Brook Farm in Carlisle

visit GBNEMBA Rides on FB or the MVNEMBA page on FB for when rides get posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gb.rides/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MVNEMBA/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by feral View Post
    come join the Thurs. night GBNEMBA rides at the Fells or Landlocked and we'll show you around!

The Fells is closest to you, FYI. Landlocked is about 15 minutes. Other EXCELLENT spots:
    Russell Mills in Chelmsford
    Lowell/Dracut State Forest in Lowell.
    Great Brook Farm in Carlisle

visit GBNEMBA Rides on FB or the MVNEMBA page on FB for when rides get posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gb.rides/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MVNEMBA/
    thanks!
    what about the bike store?

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    If you're going to consider getting to LDT or RM from Tufts you should also visit Lynnwoods, rated the top technical trail system in the country a few years back by Bike Magazine, you won't be disappointed if you like technical, rocky, droppy, jumpy type stuff. If you're looking to crank out miles on a rigid 29er you can accomplish that at Lowell Dracut with a good amount of tech still thrown in there. LLF and Fells are also fun, just on the smaller side, although with the right group you can put together some great rides at any place.

I mainly go JRA personally. I don't know if they would like hearing this but I can say they've worked on my SC Nomad for me in the past, despite the fact that they don't carry the brand. They've always stood behind their work. I don't have a lot of experience with wheelworks but my impression is they tend to be a bit more of a commute/cyclecross oriented shop while JRA is very MTB focused.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    I mainly go JRA personally. I don't know if they would like hearing this but I can say they've worked on my SC Nomad for me in the past, despite the fact that they don't carry the brand. They've always stood behind their work.
    I can't imagine the guys at JRA being anything other than happy to work on your bike no matter the brand. I've seen everything from semi-vintage cruisers to DH sleds on their stands when I've walked in there. I'm pretty sure they like all bikes regardless of whether or not they have a supplier agreement with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just rode Lowell/Dracut for the first time, and was really impressed!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been in a similar situation as a grad student without a car during my time in Cambridge. I've found that there are a ton of great options within about 2-4 miles of various commuter rail line stops. Blue Hills via Readville, Noanet Woodlands/Hale via Needham Junction (although the MBTA shut down weekend service), Harold Parker via North Ballardvale, Willowdale via Ipswich, Lynn Woods via Lynn, Wompatuck via (again weekend service shuttered), Ames Nowell via Campello, Leominster State Forest and Lowell Dracut by their respective lines. I've also been meaning to check out Rocky Woods, F Gilbert Hills, Vietnam, and Massasoit. PM me and maybe we'll ride some weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    And don't be afraid to proposition a total stranger online for a ride. You be amazed at the hospitality a nice six pack will get you. I ride Lynn for the most part and half the guys I see there come out of the city to ride. So a short bike ride might get you to more places than you thought.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    I've been in a similar situation as a grad student without a car during my time in Cambridge. I've found that there are a ton of great options within about 2-4 miles of various commuter rail line stops. Blue Hills via Readville, Noanet Woodlands/Hale via Needham Junction (although the MBTA shut down weekend service), Harold Parker via North Ballardvale, Willowdale via Ipswich, Lynn Woods via Lynn, Wompatuck via (again weekend service shuttered), Ames Nowell via Campello, Leominster State Forest and Lowell Dracut by their respective lines. I've also been meaning to check out Rocky Woods, F Gilbert Hills, Vietnam, and Massasoit. PM me and maybe we'll ride some weekend.
    Can I actually bring my bike on the train?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Check the MBTA schedule. Most trains allow bikes during non-peak hours.

mtbr member
    Fells is your best bet. I went to Tufts and you can ride to the Fells from Tufts. It's an easy 2 mile ride)
    Ride down college ave past the athletic center all the way to the end (Summer St)
    Left on Summer st, Immediate right on Walnut st.
    At the end of Walnut st, go slight diagonal down residential street into parking lot. At end of parking lot use cross walk to cross MVP and ride over bridge.
    Cross over high st onto governors ave (street with big green median)
    Ride up Governors ave past the hospital (on left) and up the hill.
    At the end of Governors ave, cross South Border rd and you are in the Fells.

It's not really all mountain riding, but it's a good place to keep your skills up when you can't reach lynn woods or Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by Drightjustin View Post
    I just got to Tufts U as an international student, so I don't have cars.
    I need to find some place reachable for all mountain/trail riding.
    I thought that Middlesex Reserve might be a decent place, but what about other places for fun?
    Another question, the LBS
    JRA seems have a great reputation compared to Ace's bad service,
    so which store you prefer...
    I REALLY LIKE specialized and Santa cruz, but JRA does not sell these bikes,,..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The Fells is your best bet if you don't have a car. From Tufts you can ride to the south end of the place and go in at the fireroad right near where Playstead Rd and Winthrop St meet in Medford. From there you can ride the mellow south side and then access the large middle section. Some trial and error will bring you to the main section.

I might also add that you can access the Fells from the Lawrence Estates in Medford to cut the street riding short.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Class Clown
    there are lots of hidden trails in the fells...