mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Terrain for my newbie bud Worcester MA

Hey guys,
    Looking for some beginner friendly loops near Worcester for a newbie buddy of mine. He's just starting out and his emphasis is on gaining fitness, so fire roads and flattish single track would be good. Recommendations?

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How about Stow town forest?
    Stow_Town_Forest

It's relatively flat, mostly fireroads, and not too "MA singletrack"-ey, which means you'll spend less time cursing at bowling ball sized rocks and more time zooming along. It's really fun, and there are networks of singletrack off the main fireroads. It's small enough so you can't really get lost unless you head too far east. There aren't really any good maps but you don't need one. I head in, over the bridge, take the first right, then a left along the telephone poles, then a left at the next fireroad. There's a singletrack trail on your right that leads to the lake, and it's really fun. Great for an evening XC burn, but just a little too far away from me in Waltham...

guru meditation
    Rutland State Forest is OK - tons of fire roads and can be easily connected to the Central Mass Rail Trail. There are a bunch of offshoots from this which can be pretty fun, tore off my rear derailleur doing that! Sick!

mtbr member
    Goingblankagain is right about Rutland. The fire roads are fast and offer different levels of challenge--more or less hilly. Once you tire of the fire roads, try the singletrack. The heads of some trails are marked--yellow square with black lettering (T1 through T9), you can connect some of them through the fire roads.

blet drive
    you can all so try out the westboylston rail trail and there is some single track off of it as well
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mdc
    mtbr member
    You should check out West Hill Damn Park in Uxbridge. There is an easy double wide loop that goes around the park with very little tech and almost no hills. There is also some easy singletrack if you look around AND a beach for a post ride swim. I think the double wide loop is maybe 5 miles max.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc View Post
    You should check out West Hill Damn Park in Uxbridge. There is an easy double wide loop that goes around the park with very little tech and almost no hills. There is also some easy singletrack if you look around AND a beach for a post ride swim. I think the double wide loop is maybe 5 miles max.
    Nothing to add. Just wanted to say I like the Slapshot avatar

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

boynton

Boynton Park in worcester has a decent trail you can do. I just got my first MTB a few weeks ago and I thought it was fun. I haven't been too many places though. I just go there because I can ride to it instead of driving.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    +1 for Rutland dirt road riding. Also check out Hodges Mill dam area in Oxford for some easy double and single track.