Hic-A-Doo-La!

sutton trails, purgatory chasm...

Today was my first ride there and the trails are top notch. It's pretty much a 10 mile twisty ride with lots of short climbs. There's more switchbacks than anywhere I can think of. Good stuff. Most of the leaves have even been cleared off the trail! Nice work!

Some trail pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    a few more...

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    and some of the chasm...

never ender
    Rad. Nice to see Santa Cruz represented on the East Coast. Where is this, now?

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Sutton, Ma. Right off of rt.146, a few miles from the ri/ma border.
    I was the only one not on an SC. I am kind of thinking of a new bike though. Hmmmm.....

mtbr member
    Very nice.

I used to do a little climbing at Purgatory Chasm.......now I may have to go back and check out the trails. They look sweet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Did you cross the road and get over to the Sutton water works trails ?
    I'm Better known as Splat

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Yes, we parked at the chasm and rode 2 track and a little road to get there. Only about a mile. That sure is nice riding in there. Lots of work has been done by the trail builders. It reminds me of rocky woods in taunton, only without the miles of rock gardens.

achiever
    Never rode there but used to climb around the chasm when I was supposed to be in school.

mtbr member

trails?

Did you guys ride any of the trails on this map?

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/PurgatoryChasm.gif

Or was it unmarked single track? I am planning on heading out there this week and looking for a good idea where to start without getting to lost.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here is a GPS map of the sutton trails ( Up where It says STATE is purgatory CHasm State Park )

and there is also this one from Team Bums

mdc
    mtbr member
    FYI about these trails- the land was originally a hunting preserve years ago and hen given to the state. Lots of hunters during the week and Saturday, best to stay out during the week or ride at night ( at least until hunting season is over)

The crew has been doing fantastic work clearing and raking, although I have to admit I HATE seeing directions and GPS info posted online- better to PM directions and maps than post it online. I'd hate to see the area get shut down or have over usage issues....

mtbr member
    I don't think these trails would ever get over used. They don't have the mass appeal that would attract too many riders. Because of the tight turns, rocks, and small hills, you can't get up much speed anywhere. But the freeride guys will only find a few very small drops. And the rolling hills make it feel like you are climbing all day. Plus, there isn't much parking.

But that said, I love it out there.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 11-27-2007 at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mdc
    The crew has been doing fantastic work clearing and raking, although I have to admit I HATE seeing directions and GPS info posted online- better to PM directions and maps than post it online. I'd hate to see the area get shut down or have over usage issues....
    I hear you , However the Big map there is a Map that Team Bums Sent to Bikerag.com and it is posted over there .

NEMBA
    Oct 2007
    brought the family hiking in the Casm this summer, cool place to climb through the boulder caves. Wondered if you could ride there....next time I am up that way agian I will have to bring my bike and venture a bit further.
    You guys like tight/twisty/technical/rocky, singletrack come up our way to Franklin County to Wendell State forest me and a couple other guys (liam o'brian-harold green) built most of the trails.... and if you should be looking for challenging terrain and have time to drive up this way, Oh yeah and I should add don't mind doing a little bit (term used loosley) of climbing then you would like it.
    Mark Courtemanche,

mtbr member
    You can't bike at the Chasm or anywhere in the state park. The bike trails are across Mendon Road.

NEMBA
    Oct 2007
    thanks for that last bit of info...
    mark,