Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    615

    Sunday 7/22 Wendell State Forest NEMBA MBAS

    Permit is in hand from DCR, The plan for the day is being worked out, Crews have already been up removing debris and face slappers, more at the workday tomorrow.

    Make your plans to visit this central Mass classic destination.

    Details at Wendell State Forest
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    As always, this promises to be one of the best events in the NEMBA line up. Their ain't no place like Wendell. And this is a great opportunity to sample the high quality biker built challenges (in a very beautiful setting) of a place that can seem a little daunting if you haven't been here before.

    We've got a good loop (with a few new trails...) set up this year and it will be worth riding. And no, we won't include the brutal mud rock trail along wicket pond this time...you all spoke, and we heard

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    I was wondering if this is an all-levels event. It *sounds* like it is but would love to hear from others who have gone in the past, is it really beginner-friendly?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    I was wondering if this is an all-levels event. It *sounds* like it is but would love to hear from others who have gone in the past, is it really beginner-friendly?
    It depends on the beginner. Fitness matters in Wendell. Being comfortable in rooty terrain is necessary too. No manditory air.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    There will be an easier route, an intermediate route and one extended hero loop. The beginner (assuming that we don't mean a true novice with no biking skills or everyday fitness) will have plenty to ride as well....with the caveat alluded to by Harold...there are unavoidable hills (but what goes up must come down) and the terrain tends towards typical western, ma roots and rocks. It's a lovely setting and even just coming and spinning the copious fire roads of wendell is worth it for the beginner (or the guy looking to start getting into cyclocross shape.
    Last edited by SuperbMan; 07-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    91
    Is there anyone driving up from Boston that would like to split gas and have some company heading up? I'd would really like to go!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    There will be an easier route, an intermediate route and one extended hero loop. The beginner (assuming that we don't mean a true novice with no biking skills or everyday fitness) will have plenty to ride as well....with the caveat alluded to by Harold...there are unavoidable hills (but what goes up must come down) and the terrain tends towards typical western, ma roots and rocks. It's a lovely setting and even just coming and spinning the copious fire roads of wendell is worth it for the beginner (or the guy looking to start getting into cyclocross shape.
    Thank you! I can handle some rocks/rootshills and can last about 1:15-1:30 so I think I will show up!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Is there anyone driving up from Boston that would like to split gas and have some company heading up? I'd would really like to go!
    I might be able to be convinced. It's a bit of a hike solo.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    110
    I'll be there with a bunch of other Team Bums members. Looking fwd to it, I've never ridden Wendell before.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on NEW DATE Saturday May 10, 2014

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    91
    Hey sandwich, sent you a private message.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by icycle View Post
    I'll be there with a bunch of other Team Bums members. Looking fwd to it, I've never ridden Wendell before.
    Well, If memory serves me correctly most of the Team Bums are pretty strong riders so I'm sure you guys will dig it!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    233
    (don't mean to be uber geeky) but does anyone have SS gear experience in Wendel?

    I'm running a 32x21 for most of Western MA stuff, but considering a 22T cog as I am currently at a post-vacation-lots-of-summer-ale fitness level.
    Selma Ti.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    (don't mean to be uber geeky) but does anyone have SS gear experience in Wendel?

    I'm running a 32x21 for most of Western MA stuff, but considering a 22T cog as I am currently at a post-vacation-lots-of-summer-ale fitness level.
    Folks on the NEMBA forum indicate the bigger the better. Talk of 25 cogs...

    The park is looking great, loops are marked. See you all in the morning.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    32x20/21 seems to be what the SSer's in our gang prefer. Personally, I'd want a 22...but I'm soft!

    We've laid out, what I think, is our best loop to date. A few new trails have really made the continuous, non over-lapping loop, more of a reality. Here are the Numbers:

    Regular Route (intermediate) 12 miles, take a strong intermediate 2 hours to ride.

    Regular Route + Hero Loop: 16 miles, An Expert biker can do this in roughly 2.5 hours, and intermediate will be closer to three. The Hero loop features the two best trails in the park, but they are a little more challenging (and long) than the other trails on the loop.

    Trail conditions and weather are damn perfect!

    Hope to see many of you tomorrow!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    994
    Looks like a bud and I are doing this ride, never been and I'm looking forward to it.

    I tend to switch between clip less pedals and platforms with fiveten shoes depending on how techy the trails are and the amount of features. At a place like B-street I usually ride platforms but occasionally ride clipless. How does Wendle rank in the tech factor compared to B-street?

    I prefer platforms and have much more fun with them. But for faster more xc rides or very climby rides I bust out the clipless. Any feed back would be appreciate

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    That's an interesting question, Tim. Well, B-street is more 'featured filled'. while wendell (especially the hero loop) is a little more 'rugged' and wilderness feeling. More climbing at Wendell (again, if you do the whole loop). If you like Platforms, I'd say run 'em.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    994
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan View Post
    That's an interesting question, Tim. Well, B-street is more 'featured filled'. while wendell (especially the hero loop) is a little more 'rugged' and wilderness feeling. More climbing at Wendell (again, if you do the whole loop). If you like Platforms, I'd say run 'em.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to bring both setups and make a game time call. My bud will defiantly be rocking the platforms, and we usually get kick at NEMBA rides when everyone lectures us on our pedal choice.

    If you see a really slow guy on a raw 5spot mostlikely with platform pedals say hi.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    50

    Demo bikes at event

    Hi, can anyone tell me how the demo bikes work at these types of events? I know how ski demos work at the mountains - same idea? I'm a beginner with my own bike but trying to get husband interested in mtb. He is coming along but has yet to buy a bike. Will KONA let him take one out for 30-40mins? Or is it more they demo the bike to you on a track or something like that?

    Thanks in advance!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    233
    Driving up from Northampton if anyone wants a lift. train leaves at 8am. adin.maynard (at) gmail
    Selma Ti.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    110

    Well Done!

    Great job to the event organizers. The loops were well marked and challenging, the trails were in great shape, and the process was smooth. I think we had a total of 12 Team Bums riders here today and all had their fill.

    My GPS plot: Maps Actual mileage (bike computer) was 17 and a little. We rode in a counter clockwise direction with the exception of the "hero loop" add-on at the top middle, which rode clockwise.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on NEW DATE Saturday May 10, 2014

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    615
    Glad you had a good time. These events are a lot of work, but seeing the exhausted smiles of 120 riders coming back in 3 hours after they head out makes it all worth it!

    Thanks to the Franklin County crew (Liam, Stef, Howard, Matt, Yvette, Mike, Jack and I'm sure there's someone else) for assuring the park was in its prime and well marked for this event.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    994
    What great trails you guys have carved out at Wendell! Really nice mix of tech and flow.

    I ended up getting a monster cramp halfway through the Hero loop and had to walk it off for a couple of miles before I could even think about pedaling again. During my hike a bike session to work out the cramp I ran into lots of folks also hiking and complaining that the 'hero loop' was to technical and they were not enjoying it. I held my tunge, but I really wanted to ask them all what they though 'hero loop' implied? Maybe next year you shoukd call it the 'this is the hardest and most technic trail on the ride' loop :-).

    Might be hard to fit on those pink cards

    The Nipmonk DH is by far one of my favorite sections of trail anywhere! I will be back just to rip that trail a couple of times back to back. My hats off to who laid out and built that trail.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    What great trails you guys have carved out at Wendell! Really nice mix of tech and flow.

    I ended up getting a monster cramp halfway through the Hero loop and had to walk it off for a couple of miles before I could even think about pedaling again. During my hike a bike session to work out the cramp I ran into lots of folks also hiking and complaining that the 'hero loop' was to technical and they were not enjoying it. I held my tunge, but I really wanted to ask them all what they though 'hero loop' implied? Maybe next year you shoukd call it the 'this is the hardest and most technic trail on the ride' loop :-).

    Might be hard to fit on those pink cards

    The Nipmonk DH is by far one of my favorite sections of trail anywhere! I will be back just to rip that trail a couple of times back to back. My hats off to who laid out and built that trail.
    You'd think the warning that the loop was 4 miles and takes most riders an hour to complete would have adequately warned folks that those trails aren't a walk in the park. We can't win em all... Thanks for the kind words.

    Harold
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    968
    Thanks, Tim. We try to lay out routes that showcase what Wendell is all about, we arrange different routes each year and get compliments and complaints no matter how we do it, but we keep tinkering with it to come up with the uber-route. I think this year's route (and the weather and the trail conditions) were the best ever for this event.

    The Nipmuck and the 'Hero' Loop trails were laid out and built by the exact same people (Three people, in fact). First timers to Wendell always gravitate to the Nipmuck. My personal favorite trail is the Hannah Swarton's Remove-which is the upper of the two trails that comprised the hero loop.

    Yeah, well we told everyone that the hero loop was an Hour of the hardest trails at Wendell. IN years past, we sometimes included some or all of those trails as part of the regular ride, but this year we opted to separate those two trails as a distinct hero option because of their degree of difficulty. We figured by making it optional and labeling it 'heroic' that that would limit too many riders getting in over their heads.

    Oh well, the terrain at Wendell is unique and maybe not everyone's cup of Tea (but personally, I Iove it). Those two trails are quintessentially Wendell and we couldn't lay out a route that didn't include them at least at the optional level.

    C'mon up for the Chili ride in November, that really is the best event in the whole PV nemba year long line up.

    Did you ride flats or clipless?

  25. #25
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,014
    any one have any picks from the event?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •