Thread: sturbridge area

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

sturbridge area

looking for some riding friends in the sturbridge area . weekday(after work) and weekend rides .

mtbr member
    check the ct forum for a saturday ride. We re hoping to ride the bigelo area. Im in worcester but I have no way to sturbridge otherwise I d be in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I may be up for some after work rides...but, god...I have to get my wind and stamina back ...I went out today on my brothers bike(mines not built yet...and I was a wreck)....I live in Sturbridge too, so let me know...send me a pm and i'll keep in touch

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    I'm in Southbridge if anyone wants to get together for a ride anytime. I usually ride with a friend at one of various places (Douglas, Foxboro, Lincoln) once a week, and then I ride some trails behind my house a few nights a week after work. These trails are all from quads, but it's a good ride, no technical single track though.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    I grew up in southbridge. Where are the trails your riding out there? Also you re really close to bigellow state forest. Definitely check that place out when you get a chance if you havent already.

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Actually, I only just heard of bigelow in a thread here the other day. I do plan to check it out as long as it's semi-close.

Since you probably know Southbridge well, I'm on 169 close to the CT border, there's a string of new houses that were built there 2 years ago on 169 before it meets up with 131 (coming from CT).
    The trails there are all literally right out my backyard. I usually do a 5-7 mile ride weekdays after work. If you were to look at a map, there's a triangle formed between:
    Tipton Rock Road, Rt 169 and Rt 131, tons of trails in there, but like I said, all ATV trails but some good hillclimbs, a few good rock sections.

Any group rides at bigelow that you know of?
    Yep.

mtbr member
    No group rides but if you post in the ct forum Jisch knows it well and gave the directions for a few loops that me and woodsguy did. There is a thread calles M*ssholes heading to ct or something like that. Also I believe mjalbert knows bigelow pretty good.

From southbridge I always went up dennison dr (or rd I get them confused). I believe that turns on to 131. From the sounds of it youre about 15 minutes from bigellow.

Review of the ride
    Bigelow Hollow State Park Review

Original thread with directions
    M*******s going to CT on Saturday
    Last edited by strangeland2; 08-15-2007 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow jisch's ears must have been ringing.

Tonight 8-15
    Bigelow tonight?

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Awesome, thanks. And the other two posts give a lot of good info on the park. I may or may not swing over there, jisch sounds like a pretty strong rider
    I'll consider myself a solid intermediate. The steep hillclimbs can kill me quick, other than that, I'm used to a good 7-10 mile ride at a decent pace. Sounds really technical over there though, which I love.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    single track , what time after work (weekdays) can you ride ? maybe we can hit up wells state park

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    I work out of my home office, and usually cut out around 5, so I can head out pretty much at or around 5 to ride if it's local. If it's further, I usually just leave in time to get at the trails around 5:30.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    http://www.nemba.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19961

Millbury ride wed night.. Its kind of close to you sturbridge area folk... lol If you can make it they re usually a good time. Faster riders get longer breaks

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    I'll be there.
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    def check out brimfield state forest. some killer single track in there if you can find it. if i wasnt going to college saterday id ride it with you all.

ive also ridden across the street from tantasqua (sp???) high school........its either a middle school or voc school. park in a back parking lot and look for a little trail near a basketball hoop. if about 20ft up the trail you see some pallets and boards stacked up to ride up your in the right spot. tonnsss of good single track all in there, although i believe some of it is developed now.

i go in bikerag.com forum and sometimes ride at soapstone in ct. its about 20 mins down rt. 32 out of the center of monson. awesome group rides there. def worth the time to go downt there .