Beasley

Stupid sales tax.....

Just wondering if any of you who live near nh like i do will be doing any future bike shopping in nh now that that sales tax will be increasing August 1st.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just out of curiosity, what are the respective tax rates?

I'm in California, where it is around 9%, varying slightly from county to county.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    Here in San Luis Obispo, CA it's 8.75% and the state is still broke.....
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

Beasley
    It is 5% right now in massachusetts. The tax is going up to 6.25%. A good leap if your used to the 5% all your life. Whereas in New Hampshire there is NO sales tax on items. I live on the New Hampshire border and to just drive the extra 5 minutes will prob save me a good chunk of change if I plan on buying an expensive item.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Beer now being included as a taxable item. That will get plenty of people shopping out of state.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Interesting topic. I'd guess the Massachusetts legislature decided the "leakage" of shoppers crossing into N.H. was outweighed by the number of folks who wouldn't. With no sales tax in N. H., I wonder if the state has higher property taxes as an offset, or simply smaller gov't?

Every state seems to do it differently. I know Oregon and Washington have totally different structures, with each having advantages and disadvantages.

For me, it'd take a major purchase to drive more than a little bit to save a buck or two in sales tax...

Beasley
    The property tax in nh is atsronomical compared to massachusetts. I dont normally really go to NH to buy many things. But most of the shopping malls general merchandise stores are closer to me in NH then in MA thats wht i travel there. But like i said its only mabye 5 minutes or so to get to NH from where i live.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I never thought of going to NH to buya bike. good idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle
    Beer now being included as a taxable item. That will get plenty of people shopping out of state.
    No it won't. It will have a negligible effect on beer purchases because beer is what's called a "price inelastic" good, meaning buyers are not sensitive to price changes. Maybe you are, but in general, people are not.

To the original poster: 6.25% costs a mere $12.50 per thousand dollars spent greater than 5%. Forgive the assumption, but when one is spending a grand, I think one can pony up extra the 12 bucks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Nh-the Goods And Bads

no sales tax is great! no state income tax is even better! property taxes, at least anywhere in south east nh wipes it all away and then some. i at one time owned 2 duplexes, i condo, a nice home, all on the cape, and a house in vermont and my taxes on all 5 properties was about the same or not much more than a 200, 000 $hit box in newmarket nh with a half acre of land, ya like 5000 bucks in taxes for a year. so i rent fairly cheaply instead with all utilities included. best of all worlds now. oh another negative. there is no state income tax unless you have investment income and i had to write a nice fat check this year to the state of nh that i didn't expect to have to pay. i really don't buy anything cept for food and gas so the sales tax thing doesn't really affect me.

rog

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyracer
    Here in San Luis Obispo, CA it's 8.75% and the state is still broke.....
    and yet CBO in SLO still managed to hook me up at a good price such a great shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    I never thought of going to NH to buya bike. good idea.
    If you go to NH to buy a bike so as to preclude paying MA sales tax, don't complain when the state cuts back on services due to lack of funds. You want all that the state has to offer, but look to avoid paying your share???

Beasley
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter2468
    If you go to NH to buy a bike so as to preclude paying MA sales tax, don't complain when the state cuts back on services due to lack of funds. You want all that the state has to offer, but look to avoid paying your share???
    They already cut back on just about everything before the sales tax increase went into effect so I am not too worried...

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'm worried about it

I work in non-profit special education and without folks paying taxes, maybe even more taxes, less kids get serviced when they can really use the help. I agree that spending $12 on the thou is NOTHING compared to what other states not to mention other civilized countries rake from citizens for taxes.

People should just do their part and pay for what every community needs. Instead of contributing to individual causes like the police, the fire dept or my school, it's called paying taxes.