Thread: Studded Tires?

mtbr member

Studded Tires?

Anybody running studded tires? I'm planning on getting some and wondered
    how they worked. I don't think they are available yet in 650B so will put them on an old hardtail. Thx.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta for my CX bike. They took 25 miles of road riding to break in. If you don't do that, you risk the chance of the studs not setting into the rubber and flying off the wheels. They are heavy and slow which is perfect for riding in temps in the teens as it lowers the wind chill effect. I rode down Reformatory Branch trail and it was pretty much solid ice everywhere. Never slipped once. They were great. I got them so I could continue base training outdoors through the winter by hitting a mix of rails-trails and fire roads. So far so good.

mtbr member
    This thread covers some 650b studded options...

650B Studded Winter Tire

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by my Hans Dampfs in a few inches of crusty snow. As long as the trails are packed and not shear ice I can ride these with amazing amounts of grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I rode Willowdale with just my Ardent 2.4 front 2.25 rear on Saturday. There wasn't a lot of snow, but most of the trails had some pretty solidly frozen hardpack. Maybe an inch or two. They handled better than I'd have guessed.

mtbr member
    I have a set mounted on spare rims, but I seldom use them. As others have said, most frozen show has some degree of grip that allows you to run normal tires. There's always a bit of ice here and there but you can easily dodge it by riding the crunchy snow at the edge of the trail. But when they're necessary, they do rock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I run 3 pair. 2 for different commuters and a set of the nokian extreme 294's on the enduro. Keep them on all winter, no reason not to. Great for ice, hardpack and all that hidden stuff under the snow. Also nice for lake and pond exploring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by millargeo View Post
    I rode Willowdale with just my Ardent 2.4 front 2.25 rear on Saturday. There wasn't a lot of snow, but most of the trails had some pretty solidly frozen hardpack. Maybe an inch or two. They handled better than I'd have guessed.
    Using the exact same combo and I've ripped around LLF in burlington 3 times in the snow/ice so far and they have been fantastic. The knobs bite into the packed down snow incredibly well, very confidence inspiring.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Studded Tires?

I use the schwalbe tubeless ready ice spiker pros.

Posted from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    They work fantastically. On snow they're just like a good knobby tire. On ice they're incredible. Traction as good as on dirt. The harder the ice the better. Climbing hills you'll find yourself avoiding the snow and riding on the ice intentionally.

mtbr member
    I ended up getting a pair of the Schwalbe tubeless ready ice spiker pros. They have worked really well and as was mentioned above, the harder the conditions the better. Riding in the Fells requires staying on the +/- 14" wide track that has been packed down by the cross country skiers. Once I go off that I'm in the soft stuff and come to an abrupt halt. I wear old running shoes with Icespikes installed. These give me traction if I have to put a foot down while on sheer ice. They also do double duty as my winter trail running shoes.

Hooligan
    Yeah, I run an ice spiker pro on the front, They are great tires, but loose studs like crazy due to the soft compound they are made out of. my rear lost 48 studs, and I now run a kenda klondike rear, although not nearly as grippy in the ice, it is a much tougher compound and holds together well under torque.
    I cant wait until we have some more freeze-thaw cycles so the spikes are useful, all this fluffy crap has me bumming without a fat bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by jrsbike View Post
    Anybody running studded tires? I'm planning on getting some and wondered
    how they worked. I don't think they are available yet in 650B so will put them on an old hardtail. Thx.

Studded tires are the way to go if you want to ride in the winter, unless you want to do that fat bike thing. For me, ice and snow covered back roads work best for winter riding.

I've had 3 set of Nokians through the years and they've worked perfectly.

This is what you need to check out if you've got studded tire questions...

Studded Bicycle Tires

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    nokians

glare ice, zero grip without studs

hammer at 96%-100% speed with studs. can not get lazy, must use all your flow skills but if you can hammer in summer, studs absolutely rock on solid, clear ice on whatever trail you are on. and they rock on bare trails as well of course, just might lose a stud here and there if you torque up over granite