mtbr member

Listen! The Stow Necklace....

.....I am new to the area....planning on riding July 4th in the morning....want to try and connect the "Stow Necklace"....by starting at Pine Bluff riding Marble Hill, Flagg Hill, Captain Sargent Farm, Red Acre Woodlands, Stow Town Forest, and finishing through the Assabet NWR and back to Pine Bluff. Anyone have any info or suggestions? I have the maps and realize there will be a bit of road to connect all of those areas. Also, if anyone wants to join in let me know....it will be a exploring pace and planning to leave pretty early so the July 4th festivities won't be put off to long. Thanks
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member

Good ride.

Started around 8:30 at Marble Hill, very nice trails, ended up trying every trail I came across, ended up doing a complete loop back to the starting point near the old school. There was plenty of challenge with every rock glistening and slippery, as well as quite a few log overs. Next I connected via a short ride on the road with Heath Hen Meadow Brook. This area was well maintained and included some edge of field riding and some very nice wooden bridging. Popped out of the woods on Acton Road and talked to a couple Homeowners who directed me to Flagg Hill( maybe a half mile up the road). Another nice spot with a really good climb at the start. The trails here were bordered by beautiful stone walls and Mushrooms were everywhere. Did a straight out and then a loop at top of hill then back to start on a long downhill. Headed back through Heath Hen Meadow and then took road home. I never got to Captain Sargent, Redlands , Stow Town Forest , and Assabet NWR but with all the exploring got in a 3 hour ride. Planning to check out the rest over the summer. Ride On!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stow Necklace....-image.jpg  

The Stow Necklace....-image.jpg  

mtbr member

It was hot.

A few more pics, btw it was really hot today in Stow. Boon Lake felt good after the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stow Necklace....-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks like a fun ride Jeff. Did you find any gps tracks for these areas prior to your ride?

mtbr member
    Nice. I'll be moving out to the nearby area in mid-August. Keep the posts coming.

mtbr member
    Hey ...djb2 and Scott O. Thx for writing. Sold my original GPS device, sounds like it is time to get back in given my situation of being new to area. Going to keep exploring and putting together some good rides out my door. Have noticed the Massachusetts MTBR board is a bit quiet so will be joining NEMBA to see what that is like. Any suggestions on what chapter to join? Currently belong to Vermont Mountain Bike Association and FellowShip of the Wheel but want option to help out locally w trail improvement. Thanks. J

Scott

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ahh, finally got to see a mass post from you, been waiting, have fun exploring the new area , see you in august

mtbr member
    Glad to see you're getting rides in at the new home trail system. In no time you will be the trail and ride guru. Hope all is well.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cool post - I grew up in Bolton in the 70s and used to ride on the trails in Stow/Boxboro as a kid. I'll be visiting the parents next week, and was wondering if there's any place to ride other than Delaney; looks like there's plenty to choose from still!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    OK we've been in town since Monday, got a few rides in before the rain came back. We went thru Delaney for old times' sake. The hills, drainage canal, etc. all look a lot smaller than they did in 1979 or so. Took Taylor Rd and discovered the north trailhead of Marble Hill by accident when my son spotted the giant boulder/sign. Did a loop, then continued on through Heath Hen and up Flagg Hill. Very cool riding along the old 1700s road, but due to the fifty bajillion deer flies, we did everything we could to stay moving.
    We also explored a few other short trails that we happened upon in the area north of the airport.
    We were planning to do the full necklace ride today, but cancelled due to the rain.
    I'm hoping to get one more ride in tomorrow morning, probably just Rattlesnake due to the short road transit and other family activities. I'm trying to find some fly paper for our helmets tonight...
    I found a few map links:
    Bolton Trails: Town of Bolton, MA - Index of Trail Maps

Stow Trails: Stow Conservation Trust

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've been riding bolton for 8-10 years and best areas are Vaughn Hill/Bower, Rattlesnake, and Powderhouse (quick ride) behind the town hall. Other than that, nothing is really worth the time in my opinion. Stow is all about Gardner Hill, Marble Hill, and Assabet. I have ridden in Harvard and there isn't really any solid trails that Im willing to invest time in. Littleton and Groton both have a plethora of awesome trail systems, Groton town forest, sarah prouty, oak hill, and another one I forget the name of are my favorites so far.

mtbr member
    duplicate post - ignore