mtbr member

The Stow Necklace ....2nd try.....

Took a 2nd shot at connecting most of the riding areas in Stow on Saturday.....2 of us PA riders assisted by a couple Stow locals......we started from our houses....met at the back entrance to GardnerHill aka Stow Town Forest.....did a few loops there then exited off Brayley Lane ....next on to Red acre woods.....Capt. Sargent .....Flagg Hill to..tHeath Hen meadows......next to Marble Hill and finished up with a ride around Delaney Project....later we got the 411 on How to connect Rattlesnake and Lime Kiln in Bolton and also a potential new route over Aimee Moore Farm......really good time and will be riding this route again... Turned out to be 26.6 miles and just under 3 hour ride....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stow Necklace ....2nd try.....-image.jpg  

The Stow Necklace ....2nd try.....-image.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Don't tell me those were pre-ride beers?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i need to get over there and check out Stowe town forest. i'm a little over 10 miles from there and have never checked this place out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Don't tell me those were pre-ride beers?
    Nah....just having problems uploading the photos....the Heady Toppers were post ride.....

mtbr member
    How does stow compare to Groton? I think I might head out there this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The trails in both towns are very similar but there aren't any "hard" trails in Stow where as in Groton there are a few such as Sledgehammer and The Promised Land which are pretty nuts and take some balls. Gardner Hill (Stow Town Forest) is fun and I'd compare it to Groton Town Forest but a little more tame.

mtbr member

The Stow Necklace ....2nd try.....

Awesome. Might have to check it out this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcited View Post
    How does stow compare to Groton? I think I might head out there this weekend
    Very similar but not as good. Groton is a bit bigger and I personally like the single track there more. Given the choice and time I will always choose Groton over Stow. I leave Stow for when I need a quick ride or am sick of everything else. Also this place is known as tick heaven, so check yo self!

Stow has some great stuff too it might take a few rides to find it all. I usually avoid Garner hill and like to do it counter clockwise from the parking lot. Once you cross the bridge keep bearing right stay straight until the last trail (3rd) to go off to the left into the woods. Go until you hit the river and then ride the sweet single track along the river. If looking at the map in google/strava with the parking lot on top, the right side next to the river is a rat’s nest of windy single track with a mix of everything - short steep climbs, twisty goodness and some crazy switchbacks to test you (they are kind of hard to find). Stay along the river and then go up along the golf course, you can bike on the golf course but watch out there are two German shepherds that can come around to say hello. They charged my dog and me once, they are not very nice, I had to lift the bike over my head to scare them off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    Took a 2nd shot at connecting most of the riding areas in Stow on Saturday.....2 of us PA riders assisted by a couple Stow locals......we started from our houses....met at the back entrance to GardnerHill aka Stow Town Forest.....did a few loops there then exited off Brayley Lane ....next on to Red acre woods.....Capt. Sargent .....Flagg Hill to..tHeath Hen meadows......next to Marble Hill and finished up with a ride around Delaney Project....later we got the 411 on How to connect Rattlesnake and Lime Kiln in Bolton and also a potential new route over Aimee Moore Farm......really good time and will be riding this route again... Turned out to be 26.6 miles and just under 3 hour ride....
    Looks like a sweet ride, I was thinking about a Bolton-Stow-Harvard Necklace.

Marble hill – Delaney – Lime Kiln out through Split rock – Abbot Strip – Bowers – Vaughn hills – Philben.

The thought of riding my mtb on the roads keeps me from doing it. Would be a nice loop though. Annie Moore land is a hike-a-bike/bushwackers-pradise no real trails to speak of and hunters like this place.

Another cool loop is the lands of Lincoln. There is a strava segment that shows you the route. Start off at Concord High school – Mt.Misery – Walden – Dercordova. Never done it but hiked some of the trails, it should be very smooth and fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    Looks like a sweet ride, I was thinking about a Bolton-Stow-Harvard Necklace.

Marble hill – Delaney – Lime Kiln out through Split rock – Abbot Strip – Bowers – Vaughn hills – Philben.

The thought of riding my mtb on the roads keeps me from doing it. Would be a nice loop though. Annie Moore land is a hike-a-bike/bushwackers-pradise
    no real trails to speak of and hunters like this place.

Another cool loop is the lands of Lincoln. There is a strava segment that shows you the route. Start off at Concord High school – Mt.Misery – Walden – Dercordova. Never done it but hiked some of the trails, it should be very smooth and fast.
    Thanks AMjunky.....the locals mentioned a similar ride to what you have here except they added in an area called rattlesnake? Anyway plenty of territory to explore.....there are some road sections to link the rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    Thanks AMjunky.....the locals mentioned a similar ride to what you have here except they added in an area called rattlesnake? Anyway plenty of territory to explore.....there are some road sections to link the rides.
    Rattlesnake, Lime Kiln, and Split Rock are all the same thing. I personally just call the whole area Rattlesnake to make it easier. Access is from a small parking lot off of 117 (on the right and AFTER Bolton Spring Farm if you're coming from Stow). You can also access the trails via Old Sugar Road in Bolton, that is where i normally start. If you park at the end of Old Sugar, the "Split Rock" segment on Strava begins immediately as you enter the woods and is relatively challenging with one spot that takes some real skill/nerve to stay on your bike.

There is also the "yellow loop" which is another relatively challenging segment and threw me for a loop the first time I rode it.

mtbr member
    ShredJekyl.....got it thanks for clearing that up.....Ride on !

mtbr member
    Got out this Columbus Day afternoon......rode Stow Town Forest.....different directions and explored more of the trails....still a bit confusing...but love the riding along the Assabet River.....rode that twice east to west......also got back to Red Acre....really like the flow and feel of Red Acre....ended up in a couple different back yards while I was exploring.....really like the bridges in Red Acre....one is approx 75 yards long.....thanks to those responsible for building those bridges....Ride On!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Stow Necklace ....2nd try.....-image.jpg