Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SSers

mtbr member

SSers

Are you out there? I started a thread looking for shops and maybe this could've spun off that thread, but does anyone else ride SS in Massachusetts?

I've not only found the driving here to be less than awesome, but the reaction from riders leaves something to be desired (namely, respect).

I love my SS and won't change for anyone. Yet I'm finding it hard to deal with other riders and especially shops. Both seem to think SS is an antiquated and absurd "style" or riding.

Going on the beginning, where did you buy your SS? I need a new one and as much as I love supporting the LBS they won't work with me so...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I build my own bikes, so I can't help you on this one. There aren't too many off the shelf SS bikes and the cost premium to build your own is quite a bit less when you take out the drivetrain. Most single speed frames are boutique bikes so you need to find a place which deals with the smaller manufacturers.

As I said in your other thread, I'd make the trip up to JRA cycles. They also carry Kona which is one of the few larger manufacturers that offers a SS bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks, Kona was one of the few I was looking at for a larger manufacturer. I may go with the buy a frame and build my own method. There are two local shops, one carries Trek the other Specialized and both of their SS's sort of suck. That and the personnel try to sell me said shitty SS or convince me to buy another bike.

blet drive
    I ride ss, and you are right there are not a lot of shops that sell straight up ss gear especially if you don't want trek or specialized. Icebox did you just move to the area?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

SSers

I ride SS in Western MA . Not many of us out here . Trails are pretty technical but if you're geared right (32x21 or 22) no problem. Give a shout if you want a tour out here.

For steed, I suggest Salsa El Mariachi steel or ti . Several dealers local and very SS and adventure friendly brand..
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    I grew up in NW CT so I agree with the ratio and definitely more riders out there. Just a wee bit discouraging when no shop will listen to the customer and most people think its asinine to ride SS.

I guess I'm use to actual MTBers, people who just enjoy spinning in the woods and sipping brews. Too many roadies and too many m*******s....

I want to demo an El Mar, the Kona Unit is also on the list.

blet drive
    Don't loose hope some of us even ride rigid to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    [QUOTE=Too many roadies and too many m*******s....[/QUOTE]

Too many what?
    Selma Ti.

Class Clown
    i think unicyclists are the most gangster riders out there

SSers-4124039010_75ba0db499_b.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post

I guess I'm use to actual MTBers, people who just enjoy spinning in the woods and sipping brews. Too many roadies and too many m*******s....
    I'd like to buy a vowel.

mtbr member
    Jungle, I enjoy my rigid as well. This time around I'll probably slap a fork on it though.

And sorry to those who took offense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    One of my bikes (the one I use most) is a SS. I've yet to run into another person riding an SS, but I have chatted with a few people on the trails who do ride SS occasionally.

I live in Somerville and ride most of the trails around eastern MA with a 32x18. I am on a super cheapo aluminum rigid SS now, saving my pesos for a bling-y SS Ti rig, hopefully will start acquiring parts this summer/fall. I think that SS is great for eastern MA, there aren't really any super long, multi-mile climbs anywhere, most require relatively short bursts of energy, so I think SS works well.

I work on/build my own bikes, so I haven't really had to deal with any attitude at shops, and I get most of my parts online anyway. If a shop is trying to sell you something you don't want, and not telling you what you want to hear, they are being foolish, move on to another shop or buy online.

mtbr member
    Colorado- that's how it is. I'm going up to Boston one of these days to search around because the shops down here just won't work with me. Sad, you'd think they want local business?

I agree, SS is prime. Down here on cape is flowly, technical in spots, and short uphills. I rode SS in the Berkshire and it was fine.

right now the ride is jerry-rigged, 34x19, I'll get a classic 32x18 next time. I suppose the parts are easier enough I could build one. What frame do you have? What TI frame are you looking at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I bought a Motobecane Outcast 29er SS on bikesdirect last summer, ended up being $250 on sale, and I probably spent another $150 upgrading a few parts I didn't really trust (seatpost, stem, handlebar, grips, chainring). Got this just to see if I enjoyed SS and 29ers, both of which were a resounding yes.

As for the new bike, I am currently thinking about a Carver 420 Ti, but this seems to change daily between it and the Kona Raijin ($$$) and a few steel bikes (Vassago Ver Hauen, Canfield Nimble 9, Reeb). I want a 29er SS, with the ability to take a 140mm fork, with short chainstays and quick handling. I think any of these bikes would be ideal in the rocky, twisty trails we have here.

If you are up in the metro area on a weekend (not the next two, I am travelling), and want to get in a ride, give me a shout. I am relatively new to the area, but have ridden quite a few of the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

SSers

I'm psyched to race at Willowdale , Ipswich for the first time this Saturday (Weeping Willow) . SS class is about 14 deep. Anyone done this?
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Are you out there? I started a thread looking for shops and maybe this could've spun off that thread, but does anyone else ride SS in Massachusetts?

I've not only found the driving here to be less than awesome, but the reaction from riders leaves something to be desired (namely, respect).

I love my SS and won't change for anyone. Yet I'm finding it hard to deal with other riders and especially shops. Both seem to think SS is an antiquated and absurd "style" or riding.

Going on the beginning, where did you buy your SS? I need a new one and as much as I love supporting the LBS they won't work with me so...
    Where in Mass do you live? Fair amount of SSers in Western Mass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Where in Mass do you live? Fair amount of SSers in Western Mass.
    Of course there are! Its hip out there ahah! And I would guess Boston has more than here.

Probably just the type of guys I got stuck riding with.

I'm down on Cape, grew up in the Berkshires.

Speaking of which, I know its over now but come winter and mud season if anyone wants to ride down here in the moderate climate and on the sandy soils let me know.

blet drive
    Icebox, i get the same thing but some times even more so as all my bikes run belts. Let me know if you ever are in the Worcester area as we could roll ss together..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    ...all my bikes run belts...
    What do you ride?

I've considered belts but seems most are custom or semi-custom frames. Don't think that is in the budget.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    JRA in Medford would be a great resource for you. Like the Honza?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm

hey all
    Hello my name is Doug and I ride a single speed....
    I do not live in mass anymore but do ride there (otis) a few times a year. I can not really recomnd any shops that are SS friendly but I am sure you should be able to find one closer than Boston. As far as stock SS goes the new specialized carve sl is a nice setup. I have a few friends that have them and they seem to like them. I also just bought a carve ss frame to build for my own use.For the custom side check out Misfit Psycles they make a nice frame. For belt drive you can get the MP frame or look for a Raleigh belt drive XXIX nice steel frame and cheap money. I would also go with the center track on the belt drive.My currant ride is a On One carbon lurcher set up with a 32x19 and a rigid fork I live and ride in the eastern side of PA . we have a small group of riders and have SS rides only that gets the geardos upset.

Iceboxsteve do not apologize to those you have offended you are now a m*sshole

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I ride a SS, here in hilly western Mass. It's even a 26er... do I care what anyone has to say about that? No. Why worry about the reactions people have? And if the shops don't have what you want, it's pretty easy to learn to wrench a SS.

And, your diss against road riders notwithstanding, I also ride a SS road bike. It's certainly made me even faster on the SS mtb. I also drink beer almost every night. So, no offense, but you may want to check your stereotypes...

I bought my mtb SS as a frame and built it up -- which I recommend, since you can customize everything to your liking. The road SS came off the shelf, since it was originally intended just for offseason and wet weather training until I realized I like riding on country roads as much as riding on trails.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, I'm surprised you're coming across SS hate. All the MTB'ers I've met have been a cool bunch.

Why I don't ride SS myself, I really don't care what you ride...if I see you on the trail and you're cool with me, you're all right in my book.

Of course I've never ridden a SS, so maybe I'm missing something really fun...I dunno. I see the appeal in the simplicity of it though, as someone who once had a rear derailuer shear off in the woods. Either way, I wouldn't hate on what you ride.

I actually thought about buying a SS road bike though, I thought that might be fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    am dial
    what is the gearing you are running on the road bike? I was thinking about setting up a crossbike SS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast