Thread: Spearfish?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Spearfish?

Are any of you Mass riders on a Salsa Spearfish? How does it do on our twisty rocky stuff? I recently lost my El Mariachi to theft and am definitely going to replace it with a full suspension bike and the SF looks like a good next step. I've always ridden hard tails until now, but now that I'm living here in the land of rocks I need something to smooth things out.

Thanks

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    That bikes built for long distance/endurance, west coast riding in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Do you mean west coast vs. New England riding because of the 100/80 travel? I know many or most folks here ride bikes with more suspension, but I've been riding (mostly) hardtails since 1991, so anything is going to feel plush to me. My main concern with getting a FS 29er is that it will feel like driving a truck around the trails - that was my experience with the only FS bike I've had - a 2008 fisher supercaliber 29.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntieAPE View Post
    Do you mean west coast vs. New England riding because of the 100/80 travel? I know many or most folks here ride bikes with more suspension, but I've been riding (mostly) hardtails since 1991, so anything is going to feel plush to me. My main concern with getting a FS 29er is that it will feel like driving a truck around the trails - that was my experience with the only FS bike I've had - a 2008 fisher supercaliber 29.
    Nope, I ride a Niner AIR9 hardtail with 100mm fork. That bike's (Spearfish) actually designed by Salsa for endurance racing, and they ride/test/build all their bikes for west coast riding. They make good ****, but I think they're bikes are a little too long and low for out here. Just my $.02, I'm sure there is someone riding an El Mariachi out here that loves it. I just saw alot more of them in SoCal then here, which I think reflects their ideal use (imo).

If I had to pick a 29 FS for New England, I'd get a Giant Anthem X or a Niner JET9 (or RIP).
    Last edited by Evil Chocula; 07-26-2012 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    If I had to pick a 29 FS for New England, I'd get a Giant Anthem X or a Niner JET9 (or RIP).[/QUOTE]

i second that...really digging my Anthem X 2 29er for this area. Great for fast and flowy, as well as gnarlier XC stuff and rooty and rocky trail downhills...

really pretty solid on the ups with Maestro/pro pedal on....

mtbr member
    Note that Giant has a Trance x 29'er coming out in August as well. Although the Anthem has less travel and is probably closer to what you're looking for in that department, Giant has indicated that there's a smaller wheelbase on the Trance, which should reduce the "truck"ishness. It should be interesting to see if they can pull that off while not sacrificing stability.

I own a Trance x3 and my only complaint has been the low clearance. I can't wait to try the 29er out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If I had to pick a 29 FS for New England, I'd get a Giant Anthem X or a Niner JET9 (or RIP).[/QUOTE]

Just noticed your edit and it makes me feel even better about the RIP that I'm getting. It's actually been a couple of years since I've tried one out, but I really liked the ride and the fit.

The Anthem and the Trance (as well as the Tallboy Al) were tempting too, but I've had a couple of Niners in the past (SIR, MCR) and am happy to go back to one of their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm on Spearfish, riding in CT, MA and NY. I freakin love it. Its just enough cush in back, but when I pedal I feel like all my energy goes toward forward motion, no bobbing. It fits great, its not any longer than any other medium frame bike-23.6" TT. I use a low rise bar and an 80mm stem. I found it to be a little twitchy at first so I took the spacer out of the fork to give me 120mm of travel. And that also slackened the head angle just enough for rollers, steep downs, etc. I'm running a 1x9 with no fancy stuff on it and it weighs around 25 lbs. Did I mention I love it?

Tom

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Nice bike - I was awfully tempted by in and the Horsethief, but am looking forward to the RIP. I was very happy with my El Mariachi during the one year that I had it before some a-hole stole it.