mtbr member
    Aug 2007

speaking of coming to wakefield... (seeking trail advice)

my company is sending me there this monday, probably just for a day though. i'm thinking of heading out there early sunday morning from new york to try to get in an afternoon of riding.

i've never hit any riding in mass. can someone local recommend the "this is the trail you have to hit" trail somewhere in the vicinity of wakefield?

i'm looking for something fun with some challenges, small drops, nice downhill bits - not a smooth marathon xc ride. if it means anything, one of my favorite parks in the ny area is blue mountain.

anyhoo, any advice is appreciated. even if it's just the name of a trail, it'll give me something to focus on in the trail reviews to help me decide where to go. thanks!

mtbr member
    On your way up on Sunday stop HERE for a ride.

After work on Monday go HERE.

..or you could even do it vice-versa. Either way these two spots are the premier choice for eastern MA.

I like to ride my bike.
    Vietnam and Lynn Woods sound like places you'd enjoy. Dieselbikes (www.dieselbikes.com) may be having a Lynn ride on Sunday.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks, you guys are great - appreciate the advice.

i sent an email to the dieselbikes crew asking about a group ride. lynn seems nice enough from the reviews, and right near wakefield - but vietnam sounds really cool. (you all are lucky to have nemba)

i think it would make more sense to hit vietnam on my way up, and then (if i can leave early enough on monday) hit lynn after work since it's right close to wakefield. does anyone know if there might be a group at vietnam on sunday? even if it's not a group ride, if anyone wants to give a visitor a tour .... i'd feel safer and i'm sure have more fun riding with a local crew. i'm looking to leave NYC as early as i can on sunday.

anyway, thanks again in advance. happy trails

mtbr member
    So exactly how early is it you'll be leaving the Big Apple and what's your pace? Not sure what my group is up to but I can put a bug in their ear. We normally ride 'Nam most Sundays around 9 am, but can possibly hold back till around noon-ish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by romar
    So exactly how early is it you'll be leaving the Big Apple and what's your pace? Not sure what my group is up to but I can put a bug in their ear. We normally ride 'Nam most Sundays around 9 am, but can possibly hold back till around noon-ish.

goddamn hangover. ow.

so yeah, that'd be awesome if you could do that. safety and fun would both benefit a lot i think

departure: i've gotta go pick up the car first thing in the morning, but i'm hoping to leave the city by 8:00. hopefully still early enough to beat all traffic. google puts 'nam at 3.5 hours away, so noon would be perfect if you can swing it.

pace: i'm pretty confident in being able to keep up with people. i've been riding as much as possible this season, xc/all mountain, in some pretty technical parks. as long as the stuff there isn't too wild ... or if there are ride arounds for big drops, stuff like that, should be good!