Thread: Snowy Dogtown

mtbr member

Snowy Dogtown

Saw a bunch of tracks there a couple weeks ago on a hike, but didn't get a chance to ride on snow until today. Figured the tracks were from Woodyak & co. Right about 6:00 pm tonight it really started to firm up and it got much faster. A little crusty with sugar underneath before that, but there was some nice solid surface singletrack here and there. Hey Bill, think tomorrow will be a good night ride in there?
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    Hey, you're still alive? We've been riding like crazy up until Friday's storm.

Those trails actually weren't mine. I was still feeling the green beer so I didn't ride on Sunday.

It's hard to say what the conditions will be like now. There's quite a bit of snow on the trail. Tuesday is no good for me but maybe Wednesday or Thursday night.

mtbr member

Was considering tonight....

....If I don't have to work too late. We've got a huge deadine coming up, and around here they're affectionately calling this Hell Week. Hmmph. Last night it in Dtown it got good near the end of the ride, but the first 45 minutes were crunch! spin. crunch, spin. I also went in up to the shins in a hidden deep puddle that wasn't quite frozen enough to carry my weight, so the toes started to get a little chilly. All in all tho, pretty fun.
    Did I see your tracks 2 weeks ago up on the Tarr Trail? Looked like 2 or 3 bikes, and I thought maybe was the Woodyak posse.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    Tarr Trail? Is that the Orange trail?

I think I'm going to hold off on the riding until the snow shrinks. It's supposed to be a deep freeze tonight and then a strong thaw the following nights. Besides I need to nurse my sprained thumb back to health.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gave it a shot this afternoon. No snow but some mud. Rideable but not quite ready for primetime. Rockport was nice. ATVs and dirt bikes have made some serious swill holes in spots. Didn't feel too bad about my measly tracks. Might have to hit it again tomorrow.

mtbr member

ATVs and dirt bikes

Quote Originally Posted by ramshackle
    Gave it a shot this afternoon. No snow but some mud. Rideable but not quite ready for primetime. Rockport was nice. ATVs and dirt bikes have made some serious swill holes in spots. Didn't feel too bad about my measly tracks. Might have to hit it again tomorrow.
    I live next door to Joe Orange, the supposed "Constable" of Dogtown. I've told him about these motorized trail abusers and he agrees that its awful, but he doesn't seem to do anything about it. He told my wife they did bust a couple guys out there tearing up the trail. They turned out to be cops from Essex and should have known better. And the big shocker, they got off with not so much as a warning.
    I think we're going to try to get out there this afternoon.
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    I didn't realize there was any sort of Dogtown management or security. I've never even seen any signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. I was in their once and I came across a monster truck.

I'm off my bike until Thursday while my rear shock is being worked on. If my bike was available I'd be on the trails. They're drying out real well.

mtbr member

No motors

We were told that its a no motorized vehicles area. We've seen a suped up jeep in there a couple of years ago. I guess if nobody does anything about it, maybe it is OK. I know Joe has been out there for years busting parties of Glosta high school kids by popping out of the bushes and brandishing a machete. A couple of guys that were doing my neighboor's roof saw him come out of his house and they almost ran for their lives based on flashbacks from their mispent youth, and the fabled machete.
    We got out yesterday for about an hour and a half - then my derailleur hangar snapped. That slowed us down a bit. I'll be riding the back up bike until I get that one worked out. No rides for me until after next weekend due to work obligations, but I'd be into getting out sometime with you guys again after that.
    When does the Ipswich Ultimate start up?
    Wrecker of fine things

MC MasterShake
    Yikes. That hangar is integrated in the frame isn't it?

Ipswich disc starts real soon. Once the fields dry up. I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    Looks like Joe Orange needs a bigger machete because every year there seems to be more and more mv's in Dogtown. Almost everytime I've been in there I either see or hear the motors. But, last year I saw this guy on a quad spinning the wheels stuck in Babson Res and I walked by him with a huge smile. Definetely good entertainment value. Have you guys seen that new puddle on Wharf road? I was riding out there last Saturday with some NS guys and we had to find the bottom. Ended up swallowing up the hubs and bb!!

Eric, to bad to hear about your hanger. On a brighter note the new Heckler has arrived. Just have to figure out what parts I need for the build. Give me a call if you want to check it out. I'll warn you that the ano silver is bright. Even with my camo paints on you'll be able to see me.

Steve
    [SIZE="3"]"To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine" [/SIZE]

I like to ride my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cielo
    Looks like Joe Orange needs a bigger machete because every year there seems to be more and more mv's in Dogtown. Almost everytime I've been in there I either see or hear the motors. But, last year I saw this guy on a quad spinning the wheels stuck in Babson Res and I walked by him with a huge smile. Definetely good entertainment value. Have you guys seen that new puddle on Wharf road? I was riding out there last Saturday with some NS guys and we had to find the bottom. Ended up swallowing up the hubs and bb!!

Eric, to bad to hear about your hanger. On a brighter note the new Heckler has arrived. Just have to figure out what parts I need for the build. Give me a call if you want to check it out. I'll warn you that the ano silver is bright. Even with my camo paints on you'll be able to see me.

Steve
    When did you get back from the road trip? Also, let me know if you will be riding anytime soon (which is unlikely due to mud.) And, you got a Heckler? Where have I been?
    Only been to dogtown once, so I can't comment on the trails...Sorry to hijack.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Hey Nathaniel,

Got back a few weeks ago just in time to get slammed with the bitter cold weather.

Decided to go with a Heckler when I found out about the new lighter design with more travel. Starting to get tired of riding a different bike each week depending on the place or bike falure. The Stinky was OK at Lynn and B&T's but the rear shock was blown. The Cannondale Jekyll's(bought a twin off a friend) also had rear shock problems. Ended up sending both shocks to Maintou this winter and the 1st ride back blew out one at Dracut and the second was not fully repairable? So, the time was ripe for a new ride and was torn between the Heckler, a Yeti 575, or a Titus Moto lite. Went for the Heckler and hoping for the impossible, one bike for all duties??? My guess is the Heckler will be a jack of all trades and master of none.

I'll let you know when we go out again.

Steve
    [SIZE="3"]"To Air Is Human, To Huck Divine" [/SIZE]

mtbr member

Newman

Steve[/QUOTE]

A new bike - so many options......
    I'l have to get a new hangar for the Heckler. I should order it now so it arrives soon. Looks like I'll be on the Super V. Its been riding nice lately, so I'll just enjoy it for now. I'll be back Sunday. Let's get out next week if we can.
    Erik
    Wrecker of fine things