mtbr member
    Jul 2004

singlespeeders in western mass?

hey, just got my singlespeed hooked up and looking for new riders in western mass, specifically around lenox/kennedy park and surrounding. heck, you don't have to SS, just looking for fun folks to ride with and maybe have a beer afterward. i'm a little limited in my time to get out with the family and all but if anyone's interested in trying to throw down a couple hours on the weekend, drop me a line. i'm not real fast but i love riding and having fun.
    There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. (Howard Zinn)

mtbr member

Local Yahoo! group...

Perhaps you already know about this, but just in case, here's a link to that area's (Berkshires) Yahoo! group:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...ainbikingclub/

There are often postings for group rides. I'm riding my road bike alot right now (blasphemy, I know), but I might see you out on Broken Thumb one of these days (look for a polished Santa Cruz Superlight).

Good luck!

-Lactic.

Quote Originally Posted by lenox_mtbr
    hey, just got my singlespeed hooked up and looking for new riders in western mass, specifically around lenox/kennedy park and surrounding. heck, you don't have to SS, just looking for fun folks to ride with and maybe have a beer afterward. i'm a little limited in my time to get out with the family and all but if anyone's interested in trying to throw down a couple hours on the weekend, drop me a line. i'm not real fast but i love riding and having fun.

pepito
    Jun 2004
    i'm riding out of southwick. it's western mass, but not the berkshires......at least a good hour drive to lenox. i'm not out that way too often, but i'd like to hook up for a weekend ride sometime, maybe i'll be able to fit one in before the snow falls. i've gotta run out that way soon anyway, i've had a bike built and waiting for me to pick up at the arcadian shop for way too long. just lemme know when you're up for a ride, and i'll see if i can't shift my schedule a bit. btw, what are you riding for a singlespeed? i've been riding my old converted hardtail all summer, and having a blast. later.

the_dude

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks a lot!

i had that yahoo group bookmarked a few years ago but then i lost touch with their internet address, so thanks so much for hooking me up with it again, lactic, i will look for you on yr santa cruz. sadly, it's not even like i've been out on my road bike rather than my mt, bike, i've just had a new kid, bought a house, etc. etc. . . . dude, if you ever make it up to pick up yr bike at the arc, shoot me an e-mail and we'll go out, my SS is a fisher mt tam from 95 which i converted with a surly singleator, spot 32t chainring/bashguard, BMX chain, LBS leftover 18t cog, but it hasn't really been taken out yet! just got it all hooked up and not skipping/throwing the chain last week. if im planning a ride more than a few hours in advance, i'll defnitely let you know. hit me at marc_lenox@yahoo.com if y'all are ever in the area and want some company. thanks again for the intel
    There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. (Howard Zinn)

mtbr member

You bet

hey, just got my singlespeed hooked up and looking for new riders in western mass, specifically around lenox/kennedy park and surrounding.
    Hi lenox_mtbr,

There's a small but active and friendly bunch of us riding singlespeeds in Western Mass. I live in Williamstown and ride with folks all around the county. Send me an email and I'll let you know when we next get together.

Incidentally, the norules yahoo list is a great resource. Don't be shy about posting calls for rides or showing up to group gatherings.

Yours,

Cruzmissle

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

thanks cruz

Quote Originally Posted by cruzmissle
    Hi lenox_mtbr,

There's a small but active and friendly bunch of us riding singlespeeds in Western Mass. I live in Williamstown and ride with folks all around the county. Send me an email and I'll let you know when we next get together.

Incidentally, the norules yahoo list is a great resource. Don't be shy about posting calls for rides or showing up to group gatherings.

Yours,

Cruzmissle
    hey thanks a lot, i'll shoot you an e-mail, went for a ride otday and thought i had my SS dialed but had a problem with my chain tensioner, so now i'm trying to fix that/ figure it out . . . oh well, it was still so great to be out in the woods and riding along . . . look forward to maybe getting a ride in before it snows!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ss Faq

The SS Board has tons of resources if you are having issues with your SS setup. Check out the FAQ link on top of the page. I had initial problems with my tensioner because I was running way too much chain. Make sure your chain is tight and the tensioner is just there to pick up just the smallest amount of slack. Also, make sure the spring tension is dialed in. I forget what type of wrench was needed for that but needless to say my friends at the local shop hooked me up no problem. Since I set up the chain correctly I have not had a single problem whatsoever. Obviously, with a single speed, you must have complete faith that, when powering up a hill, your chain is going to stay where it supposed to. Proper chainline doesn't hurt either, you can pretty much line it by sight if you are using spacers.

I don't live in Western MA. Actually, I just moved from the North Shore to Maine so I guess I'm kind of poaching this site.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    where's Broken thumb? I'm not from the area but am there often. thanks. I may have even ridden there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    where's Broken thumb? I'm not from the area but am there often. thanks. I may have even ridden there.
    Broken Thumb is one of the greatest sections of single track (if not THE greatest) that I know. It's off of one of the main trails (Dunbar? I can't remember the name) on Lenox Mountain. Broken Thumb is the one that's crazy technical (the most technical trail on Lenox Mountain). It goes up and down all the big boulders and ends up at the top of Portugese (or starts there depending on which way your coming, obviously). It's not very long, but man, you get a lot of bang for your buck! See the map at www.bikerag.com under their review of Lenox Mountain, it shows you where it is. Highly reccomended if you havn't ridden it yet! See you out there,

-Lactic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi we ride that area every week . feel free to join in . spiked tires are a good idea this time of year. contact me at hmsmz@yahoo.com Harry

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    screwed up the address its hdmsmz@yahoo.com