mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Searching for a frame welder

Looking for a recommended aluminum frame welder in southern NH or northern Ma. I have a hair line crack and am hoping to get this welded as a temporary fix until I can get up the funds for a new frame or bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Try HotTubes in Worcester, MA. Also, Frank the Welder in Bellows Falls, VT does aluminum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Deleted
    Last edited by leeboh; 10-19-2012 at 09:41 AM.

blet drive
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hot Tubes could be a good option (45 min away). Where is Chris Ingleheart located? I was told to give Reynolds Weld Lab in Derry NH (15 min away) a call. after some online research it seems they will be able to help. Has anyone here had any work done by them?

Just a flesh wound
    I had a frame welded by Amherst Welding. They did a great job, but the most important thing to know is how to heat treat the frame after welding. If the frame is 6061 T6 tubing, then it will break post welding if not properly heat treated. The "heat affected zone" is very weak. Not all aluminum alloys are like this, but you need to know what you have and do it right.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Not many custom frame makers use aluminum, at least compared to steel or ti. As I previously mentioned, Frank the Welder (Sinister) in VT only builds with aluminum. He might be your best bet for local alu.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Not many custom frame makers use aluminum, at least compared to steel or ti. As I previously mentioned, Frank the Welder (Sinister) in VT only builds with aluminum. He might be your best bet for local alu.
    Sinister has their frames heat treated in Quincy Mass. That is where I had my repaired Jekyll frame heat treated.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hot tubes is in Shirley Mass now, so perhaps a little closer to you than Worcester.