Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    We hit the CH 9 to CH 2 loop to day and cleared/cut the hike "a" bike stuff, but tried to leave the fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Would anyone be interested in a weekly weekday group ride? Maybe meet at 5, 5:30 at Copicut Woods or FSF at the Ranger Station?
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Would anyone be interested in a weekly weekday group ride? Maybe meet at 5, 5:30 at Copicut Woods or FSF at the Ranger Station?
    I would be up for a weekly group ride either the ranger station or copicut rd would work for ma as far as a meeting spot goes.

mtbr member
    Cool. I'm not picky on the day, other than Thursday. I'm going to start doing the Big River group rides on Thursday.

How about Monday, since knowing there will be riding after work will make the day suck less. (I hate Mondays)
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    I might be able to make it once in a while, I can't commit to a weekly thing though. Monday is a pretty good day for me.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Awesome Mondays work for me as well. Do you guys want to meet at the rangers station this Monday at 530 and take it from there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by comp94 View Post
    Awesome Mondays work for me as well. Do you guys want to meet at the rangers station this Monday at 530 and take it from there?
    I'm in for tomorrow! I don't know my way around there very well though. Are the maps available at the ranger station?
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ive been there a few times and every time that I think I know my way around I end up taking a wrong turn but I do have a map so I don't get into too much trouble. there should be maps available at the ranger station.

mtbr member
    That's cool. I rode Arcadia in Exeter today for the first time, and I missed the group ride so I did it alone. Using MapMyRide on my phone I figured my way around pretty good.

But unfortunately I already have to bail. A girlfriend thing came up that I have to do instead.

If you want to go on Tuesday I'm game, if not we'll can try to get the word out for next Monday.

Sorry to have to b!tch out already.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'd be interested in weekday morning rides, not too early though.
    Anyone else have some weekdays off?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    That's cool. I rode Arcadia in Exeter today for the first time, and I missed the group ride so I did it alone. Using MapMyRide on my phone I figured my way around pretty good.

But unfortunately I already have to bail. A girlfriend thing came up that I have to do instead.

If you want to go on Tuesday I'm game, if not we'll can try to get the word out for next Monday.

Sorry to have to b!tch out already.
    No worries man. Tomorrow will work for me

mtbr member
    OK cool, tomorrow it is.

Anyone else??

Oh, and speaking for myself, no way can I do morning rides.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

I'm planning to ride the F11 loop tomorrow morning. If you're interested I plan to leave the lot around 9:00 or so and figure to take a little less than 2hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just a flesh wound
    I'll be in Westport this weekend. If anyone is planning to ride I would like to join. I generally ride 15 to 20 miles at a pretty good pace, so let me know.

Thanks!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

EH trail area

Anyone know anything about the beautiful trail that spurs off the Edmond House trail at EH2? This is in the eastern edge of the Bioreserve, right where Flag Swamp Rd ends.

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-eh-trail.jpg

The eastern edge of the trail is shown on the Bioreserve map, but then at the northern point it curves around and zig zags all the way south again, about three miles in total. (I bailed out to the main EH trail even before it ended, having way exceeded my ride time for the day after hitting some other trails elsewhere).

This trail was tons of fun--reminded me of Otis a bit. Very flowy, some but not too many obstacles (easier than the northern section of the Bioreserve), and even some elevation change. It seems likely to have been made and maintained by cyclists.

Anyone know the deal with this trail, who's riding it, who's maintaining it? And does anyone know if there are similar trails in this area, the EH section?

Doug

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRoscoe View Post
    Anyone know anything about the beautiful trail that spurs off the Edmond House trail at EH2? This is in the eastern edge of the Bioreserve, right where Flag Swamp Rd ends.

The eastern edge of the trail is shown on the Bioreserve map, but then at the northern point it curves around and zig zags all the way south again, about three miles in total. (I bailed out to the main EH trail even before it ended, having way exceeded my ride time for the day after hitting some other trails elsewhere).

This trail was tons of fun--reminded me of Otis a bit. Very flowy, some but not too many obstacles (easier than the northern section of the Bioreserve), and even some elevation change. It seems likely to have been made and maintained by cyclists.

Anyone know the deal with this trail, who's riding it, who's maintaining it? And does anyone know if there are similar trails in this area, the EH section?

Doug
    I think I tried that section to the east of EH once a couple years ago, really cool but not marked or on the map, I had kinda forgotten about it. I've been told there's some cool singletrack on the other side of EH right in that area also, around the gas line and not on the map but I've never checked it out.

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

I've only ridden there a couple of times. Some nice trails in that area. Not sure who's doing the work, I think there was a guy with a moto doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Was looking for Strava segments in that area and there's a 2.5 mile trail to the west of the EH Trail in the same area. Strava has the segment as the Ebola Trail. Yikes. Scottee has the KOM, no surprise. There's only three people on the leaderboard, so not many people riding it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Ive ridden over there a few times, never seen anyone else over there. Not sure who's maintaining it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live close to the EH trails and walk my dogs starting at EH1 and sometimes shoot straight over to the trail just west of Eh2. I didn't set out any of these trails, but have done a lot of branch moving and cutting over the last year keeping them maintained for riders, runners and horses in mind. There is nothing worse then a network of trails becoming overgrown or unused for non-maintenance! Props to whomever first cut these trails, because they are windy and fun and not too rocky!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for your work on these trails. They really are in nice condition, particularly with apparently so little use.

Quote Originally Posted by petrini View Post
    I live close to the EH trails and walk my dogs starting at EH1 and sometimes shoot straight over to the trail just west of Eh2. I didn't set out any of these trails, but have done a lot of branch moving and cutting over the last year keeping them maintained for riders, runners and horses in mind. There is nothing worse then a network of trails becoming overgrown or unused for non-maintenance! Props to whomever first cut these trails, because they are windy and fun and not too rocky!

mtbr member
    I rode a bunch of those trails today and its in better shape than I last saw. There's a whole bunch of singletrack that isn't on the map.

There is a singletrack that starts (or ends?) at EH9 at the pipeline. Its a small new singletrack on the south side. It runs for .4 miles to EH3. At EH3 it crosses the main trail to go around a huge puddle, then crosses back and goes into the woods on the south side again. That one runs for 2.5 miles, and loops all over before coming back to EH2. Its pretty flat, and mostly mellow, but it hasn't really been ridden in enough to get really fast yet.

There is also another unmarked trail that starts about 20 feet north of EH2 on the east side of the fireroad. It goes down the hill to just north of EH18, but just before you hit the trail that is on the map there is a 4.3 mile loop trail that winds back and forth up the hill and just goes on forever. This trail had quite a bit of climbing, it has a lot of potential, but it needs to be ridden in and maybe widened a bit, I think in the summer it would be really tight.

So overall, the stuff I rode was not in great shape, but it was 99% rideable, only a couple of fresh blowdowns. There is definitely a lot of potential and whoever built this stuff connected the singletracks so you can ride them as a big loop. The 4 mile loop has a lot of up and down and I think it could be a super fun trail with a little work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was riding out there today as well. Took the trail up EH 19, 20, 23, 24 and 25 then back down Town Line Trail. The latter was very swampy with a significant blockage at one point that was difficult to get around. The other side was great, and I saw a number of trails that weren't on the map. I also didn't get to the EH 21-22 area. Generally, these are slightly wider trails, but rocky and pretty fun to ride. And they're maintained pretty well.

Jay, that 4.3 mile loop is the one I posted the map of, no? And I think that other trail you mentioned on the west side of the EH Trail is the Ebola Trail (on Strava). These two loops together would comprise a decent outing by themselves. And there are many miles more in this area. Would be great to see more folks out there riding and working the trails in a bit more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm happy to see that this thread is still fairly active. I've been riding and clearing the Copicut Hill trails for the past six weekends. I'd love to attack sections of trails with a larger crew. If anyone else is interested. I'm also running out of loops to clear and looking to expand my knowledge of the trails.

Usually my goal is to get a decent ride in (slow lately with the old man) and clear cross ups on whichever trail we're on that might need clearing. Unfortunately i live in central MA so it's weekends only for me but if anyone wanted to put forth a more organized effort to clear trails i'd happily join in.

Not quite related to the current topic but i figure we all love playing in the woods on two wheels...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchardmatt17 View Post
    I'm happy to see that this thread is still fairly active. I've been riding and clearing the Copicut Hill trails for the past six weekends. I'd love to attack sections of trails with a larger crew. If anyone else is interested. I'm also running out of loops to clear and looking to expand my knowledge of the trails.

Usually my goal is to get a decent ride in (slow lately with the old man) and clear cross ups on whichever trail we're on that might need clearing. Unfortunately i live in central MA so it's weekends only for me but if anyone wanted to put forth a more organized effort to clear trails i'd happily join in.

Not quite related to the current topic but i figure we all love playing in the woods on two wheels...
    The CH trails do look pretty good--thanks for the work. The one section I recently saw that needs clearing is the climb from CH5 to CH4. This has some very challenging sections even under the best conditions, but there are some major logs and trees across the trail that make it more frustration than it's worth. Probably chain saw work.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast