Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode in Freetown today and the hose on my camelbak froze, first time that's ever happened to me. Good ride though.

There's one tree down on the f50 loop. It's around mile 20 when you take the power lines up for a short bit then take a right into the woods. Sadly we forgot our saw and didn't have enough daylight to use the hatchet.

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

That's good to hear. With all this wind I was expecting more. Are you doing the toys for tots ride on the race loop? I think it's the weekend after thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's the Sunday after thanksgiving I think. I'd like to do it, not sure if I'm available yet.

mtbr member
    Oh glad you guys mentioned that, I'm going to try to make it. What time does it start?
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

Check the Freetown 50 Facebook page. I think all the info is there

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The ride starts at 8:30.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A buddy of mine rode out in Freetown yesterday and says there are a lot of trees down from this last storm, the demotivater got hit especially hard. It's going to need some work before Sunday.

We'll be out there with hand tools tomorrow sometime.

mtbr member

Trail Care Ride - Sunday January 19

Hey we're gonna do a trail work ride from the ranger station this Sunday. The plan is to ride and clear the 11 mile beginner loop. We'll ride at a slow pace and stop to clear any large branches or blowdowns. Regular maintenance stuff, work gloves and hand pruners. We've got saws covered.

We'll meet at 9 am this sunday at the forest HQ and ride until probably 12. If anyone wants to come along, it will be a mellow ride.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

!snotrocket!
    Im in! should i bring my stick picker or would this be overkill?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    coastin' along

mtbr member
    Great, I should be able to make it Sunday. I'll invite a few friends as well.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Anyone know how the trails are making out down there with the snow? I'm guessing it should be mostly clear. Can anyone confirm? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Snow cover is not an issue, might be a few spots here and there, but I think it's gonna be too muddy for decent riding without tearing things up for a few more days. I'm shooting for next weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Going to check it out this afternoon. I'll post a report.

BTW, the Bioreserve map on the NEMBA site is no longer accessible; it's a dead link. I think when NEMBA updated their website the file probably got lost in the shuffle. In any event, it ought to have its own link in the list of trails and not be tucked under Copicut Woods. Anyone know how to reach out to the NEMBA people about this?

mtbr member
    The map link has been fixed.

mtbr member
    Rode there today on my SS. Not much mud, trails were firm for the most part. I'd estimate 70% dirt, 30% snow in the 1-3in range. The snowy parts were quite a bit of work, especially as the day got warmer but it was still passable. The copicut woods section was mostly snow covered and sloppy so stay north of Indian Town road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rode the CH area today, and a bit in the HS and KP areas. Pretty rideable. Mud is no problem, but there is still some snow, which rides a bit like deep sand right now. Of the trails we rode, we estimate about 20% had snow on it, and of those sections only about 15% required a dismount and some walking. Definitely high effort muscling through the snow.

The only real bad spots were the roads, which were either muddy, snowy or both. Or icy. Fire Tower road was like a luge run!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been walking my dogs from Copicut Woods across Indian Town rd and onto CH7. I am so impressed with all of the blowdown that have been cut and cleared. I went in with my Silky Katanaboy and fine tuned anything I could find that would block the way, or be a pain in the arse to ride over. I found sections between CH9 and CH3 to be pretty wet, after last weeks rain. I cleared quite a bit of branches from CH3 to CH4, which I think is Copicut hill. I am anxious to come in with my bike. If anyone that knows these trails is planning on a ride soon, please let me know. I now have the whole map of the Bioreserve, but would love to ride with someone who know these trails from a riding perspective. I will also keep working on the CH area of trails.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the work you've done. There's quite a few of us working on the trails now. It makes a difference and it helps motivate us all to keep at it. Those Silky saws are the bomb. I'll let you know if I'm riding out there any time soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks, please do. Yeah the Silkys are great. I can cut through almost anything that falls across the trail, with the Katanaboy. It's nice because I am in riding distance from the trails...8 miles!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    +1 on the thanks, a lot has been cleaned up over the winter. I was out today for a quick solo ride and most all the CH trails are clean. Between CH4 and CH5 had some pretty good washouts, probably from last weekend. Saw some evidence of dirtbikes on most of those trails though hopefully a one time thing and not a trend.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Opened up a couple previously impassable trails this afternoon on foot with the chainsaw. BR7 up to BR11, really fun and a cool way to make a loop using the trail to the right of it on the map. Also a short section BR13 to BR15. This is a short fun trail, couple of small hills with an epic rock garden in between....enjoy!

mtbr member
    Nice, thats awesome. BR7-11 has been on the to do list for a long time. We almost had it clear winter 2013. Then the blizzard wiped it out again. That trail was a mess, thanks, I can't wait to ride it.

That rock garden in between BR13-15 is truly nasty. I've never cleaned that one.

I cut the Copicut Hill trail CH3-4-5 again last week, so that ones clear now too. Pretty soon the moto's will be out and they'll recut and check all their trails. Place is shaping up nicely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Awesome to hear guys! So glad there is a small community out there riding, as well as clearing the trails. I took CH1 off Copicut Rd today, with the dogs as a short cut, instead of walking in from MB13 and over to the CH area. I know Freetown in general is pretty rocky, but some of the trails, like CH4-CH5 and CH3-CH5 seem pretty damn rocky. Are you guys riding full suspension? Any hardtails?

mtbr member
    I haven't been out there lately, but all my previous rides at Freetown (going back to when I was a kid in the 90's) and Copicut were on a 26'er hardtail.

I recently got a FS 29'er and am really looking forward to getting out there on that.

Speaking of, any upcoming rides or trail maintenance days coming up?
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Went into Freetown Saturday in the rain with a carbon hardtail XCO bike and rode most of the CH trails over to many of the BR trails. Returned back to CH and back around Horseshoe trail and MB13, where I parked. It was a little rocky for that particular bike, but fun and most of the trails were clear...only had to dismount once. This time, I didn't bring my saw! I'd say if there is any maintenance to be done, best do it before the green heads and deer flies emerge!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast