Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I'm gonna ride Thursday morning again. I sent you a text PA
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

How are the deer flies lately? I rode last week and it looked like they were starting to show up

mtbr member

Freetown 50!

Well it looks like Freetown has a race again! This is great news and should bring a lot of attention and riders into the forest. It's a fifty miler (2 24 mile laps, rounded up to 50) and intended to be very hard. There will be a solo 50, 50 mile 2 person relay, or a solo 25.

I rode the course last weekend (1 lap anyways) and its a pretty good mix of singletrack and fireroad, with a bit of pavement.

Here's the link to the official site. The race is September 15 and registration starts on Aug 15.

THE RACES | Freetown 50
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Great to see the forest getting a race again. Will any of the trails need any clearing? How long did a lap take you?

mtbr member
    One lap took me about 3:15, but that was at a slow pace. It was very hot and humid and I didn't want to get heatstroke. I stopped and took my helmet off for the fire road sections, stopping to put it back on for the singletracks. I also tried to go at a "sustainable" pace just to see how I felt after 1 lap. I was pretty beat. I want to attempt the 50 miler, but it will be just to try to finish, I won't be "racing".

The trails were in pretty good shape. The fire roads are clear and for singletrack they use the moto trail for the northern parts. The course does take the Esker trail, then fireroads to the Watuppa res, then through Copicut woods and out by the "House" trail to the Pukwudgie trail. Most of it was in pretty good shape.

I'm pretty sure Spark and NE racing are gonna do some trail work. I'll try to get in touch with them and see when they plan on getting out there.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Looked at the website. I'm gonna go for the 50 myself.

mtbr member

Finishing inside of 7 hours will be challenge enough. My guess on total time for me is about 6 1/2 hours

mtbr member
    So I've been in contact with Mike from Spark about trail work and I'd like to do a couple of trail work days before the race.

From what I remember most of it is in pretty good shape. The moto trail sections are clear, maybe they could use a leaf blowing. The one spot that really needs work is the short cut connector near the private property on the house trail. There is a trail there, but its been neglected and needs some rehab.

I'm still pretty busy with work, but I have Saturdays mostly free. I also could get out there on a Thursday morning.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Right now with the kids out of school during the week is really hard, but I could do a sat morning sometime

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm pretty excited about the race, probably just the 25 miler. I'm hoping to ride the course next weekend.

mtbr member
    I rode the other day and checked out some of the trails around the Copicut Hill area. I pruned the overgrown connector on the House trail, its still grassy, but its definitely clearer now. I also cut out a couple of trees, and as far as I know there are no other blowdowns blocking the course. If any one encounters any make a note of where, otherwise I'd say we can leave the chainsaws at home.

I think mostly the trails just need pruning back in some places, and it would be nice to leafblow some of the singletrack, if possible.

Maybe if we do a trail work day we can split up into teams of 2 or 3 and ride different sections of the course.

Here's my assessment of the singletracks, I'm skipping the fire roads cause they are fine as is.

The first 3 sections of singletrack are all on the moto trail. These trails are in pretty good shape, but there is a lot of loose debris in the trail, the motorcycles just grind up all the sticks and such. I would say these would be perfect if someone could get out and leafblow them.

Then after you cross Copicut road at BR 18 you take a short section of moto trail. Then the next section from BR16 to BR13 is probably the trail most in need of work. After that the trail follow Whitetail loop trail back to Bell Rock Rd. This section of dirt road could use a touch up, but its rideable as is.

The Esker trail could use a quick touch up, but mostly its OK.

Copicut Woods is in good shape. They had their own volunteer day and I'm pretty sure they groomed the part they used for the Watuppa 5.

The longest section of singletrack is the stuff we've been working on the most, from CH7-8-9 to CH2 then out the the northern CH7 (little map mistake there). Then up the powerlines to HS11 and out to the Pukwudgie trail. A lot of this section is pretty tight and could use pruning, but its a lot of work.

After that there is one last section of moto trail.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Great ride out there today...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I took the liberty of converting the scanned trail map of the Southeastern Mass Bioreserve into a Garmin GPS / iPhone / iPad / Android compatible geo-referenced KMZ map. Try this:
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...e_one_tile.kmz

More information here:
    Massachusetts: Fall River: SE Mass Bioreserve Map - GPSFileDepot

Please try it out and let me know how it works! And please cross-post this to other forums and/or get the word out however you can. It's free!

Dave

mtbr member
    Looks nice. So that map can be imported into a garmin and you can see the trail map? Thats pretty cool.

If you want I can get you a copy without all those pink lines on there. Also I have scan of the rest of the forest (that map only covers part).
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    great job on the map. those are super helpful since I don't ride there often it makes it way easier for me to find my way around.

is that orange line the race loop? It looks a little different from the loop they posted on strava

mtbr member
    That is not the race loop.

That was just a suggestion of a possible race loop. Its a pretty nice ride though.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Looks nice. So that map can be imported into a garmin and you can see the trail map? Thats pretty cool.
    Yes. See some of the other screenshots on my other maps to see an example of what my trail maps look like on my Garmin GPSr. For example, see the screenshots on this page:
    Massachusetts: Milton: Blue Hills Reservation Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

But wait! There's more! If you click on the links in red on the map pages, you are taken to a web page where you can see the map - ON ANY device that supports a web browser, not just a Garmin GPSr. So if you click on the link on an iPhone, and allow the iPhone to open the link in Safari (NOT the Google Maps app), then you will see the map with your position overlaid in a browser window. For example, click on this link with ANY device (home computer, laptop, Android, iPhone, etc - obviously only 'mobile' devices with a GPS chip will display an 'icon' at your position):
    http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...e_one_tile.kmz

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    If you want I can get you a copy without all those pink lines on there. Also I have scan of the rest of the forest (that map only covers part).
    PM will be sent.

Dave

mtbr member
    May 2013
    perry: thanks for that GPS overlay. I'll have to give it a try when I get a chance. I haven't been in there as much as I'd like to have been over the summer. Is there anywhere to get that whole map of the forest/bioreserve? I was told at beginning of summer that Copicut main lot had them. All they had were those crappy watered down maps of just that area. I went in by main entrance the other day for a change of scenery and they had one behind the glass but that was it. Good to see things cleaning up in there. Lately they have been clearing around the haskall path fire road coming in from copicut rd. Cutting down dead stuff. It's night and day compared to what it looked like in the spring. The blizzard did a number in that area. Could barely walk through it.

mtbr member
    The maps don't seem to get stocked as often as they should. I think they're pretty popular so when they do get put out they don't last long. Try asking the ranger at forest HQ, he should have some in his office.

You can download a copy of the southern half of the map from the NEMBA places to ride site. It's available on the Copicut woods page. I have been working on getting the northen half done and posted to the Freetown SF page, but its not done yet. If you send me a PM with your email, I can email you a copy of what I've got. It doesn't have the whole forest, but its got most of it and should get you by until you get your hands on the official version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Anyone know how safe this area is during hunting season?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would be careful during Shotgun season but Archery/Primitive is pretty safe if you wear some orange and bright colors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the link, that's helpful. I imagine hunters don't use shotguns for coon and possum?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Also no hunting on Sundays...I try to ride in places that are heavily hunted only on Sundays this time of year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRoscoe View Post
    Thanks for the link, that's helpful. I imagine hunters don't use shotguns for coon and possum?
    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you hunt possums and coons at night.

In any case its mostly deer shotgun season you need to be wary about. Black powder season would be second on the list, not as many hunters, but those primitive rifles are not primitive at all. Although they are muzzle loaders, they are more like high tech cannons than a musket. My worst hunter/biker conflict day was during Black powder season, saw a hunter take a shot at a deer and then later had another guy line me up in his sights as I was coming up over a hill, scary ****, having a redneck in chaps aiming his rifle at me. (no offense to hunters, this guy truly was a redneck, mullet and all)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast