Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

Went out the other day and recleared from Canfield to BR 4. BR7-11 was in pretty bad shape. Has anyone ridden any of the trails off the Edmond house trail recently? I haven't been that way in a very long time and was wondering what shape they are in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Last I heard the Edmond House trail had been taken over by Jeeps and 4x4's. I haven't been out there for years myself. Doug and I started clearing BR7-11, but that was before the blizzard.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

I'm gonna have to check that area out someday

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richlather View Post
    I'm gonna have to check that area out someday
    Some dirt bikers told me that there is a new trail out in the Edmond house area too. From what he could show me its somewhere off of the town line trail. From what they described it's pretty nice.

Have you ever ridden Ridge Hill? Some nice trails there, but the only about 4-5 miles worth and the only way to connect to the rest of the trails is the gas line (which blows) or trespassing across the dyke and then crossing the river (its a tiny river... usually). I dream of a trail that connects CR5 to CH1. There's a beautiful ridge with 80-100' of vertical that runs north for about a mile. Oh well, maybe someday. The trails there were pretty fun as I remember. One of them was pretty swampy but the others were pretty nice.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Group Ride Interest?

I've been thinking about getting a group ride together for awhile now. Unfortunately I'm really busy during the best riding weather and I can only commit to once or twice a month. The times that work best for me would be Thursday evening or Saturday morning. Maybe one of each per month. Anyone want to volunteer to help out/come along, it'd be nice to have someone else to help out.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jay,
    Thursday evening would work good for me. I've been caught up with spring kid activities but that is winding down in another week. Maybe the 27th?

mtbr member
    The 27th would work for me. I'm also looking at July 13th as another date. Then maybe try for another Thursday night at the end of July (25th?).
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've been riding Freetown occasionally and stumbled across the pukwudgie trail shortly after the fire, it was like nothing I'd ever experienced before.

I'm absolutely interested in a group ride out there and may be bringing a friend, we're both a bit slow though.

mtbr member

NEMBA Group ride Thursday June 27

Ok, looks like Thursday the 27th is a go. I'm gonna post it up on the Nemba boards and FB page.

Xufima, no worries, it will be an intermediate type ride and we'll go as fast as the slowest rider. More of a chance to get some people together and show them the trails. Especially people who've never been and want to try the trails without the trial and error of exploring and navigating themselves. I'm thinking roughly 8-10 miles or so, hoping to ride for about 2 hours.

So we'll park at Copicut Woods lot on Indian Town road, 6 O'clock Thursday the 27th.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This sounds like a great time and I will be in town in a couple of weeks and would love to join up with the group if it should turn into a regular thing.

Just a flesh wound
    Going to be in Westport MA this weekend. Anyone looking to ride? I'd love to check out the stuff at the SE Bioreserve.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Hey Chris, I think I passed you out there today (at the creek crossing). Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after I got back.

I pre rode the loop I was planning on riding Thursday night and did a bit of cleanup. The trails have grown in and are tighter than I'd like. I only hit 5 blowdowns, which is pretty good. I pruned out a lot of beech limbs which had sagged with the weight of leaves and took out a bunch of stuff still bent over from the blizzard. Overall things are a lot better than they were a year ago, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

Anyways, anyone who is around this Thursday night, come on by for a ride.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Just a flesh wound
    I did a loop in Weetamoo on Saturday and another on Sunday. They were both about 8 miles. I will post up earlier next time I am in the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I did a loop in Weetamoo on Saturday and another on Sunday. They were both about 8 miles. I will post up earlier next time I am in the neighborhood.
    Next time you do, I'll try to tag along. I ride Weetamoo once in a while.

Jay, looking forward to Thursday!

Any of you other guys that have been riding Freetown...any interest in doing a weekly ride? I really need to start riding more, but I'm not a big fan of hitting Freetown alone.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Next time you do, I'll try to tag along. I ride Weetamoo once in a while.

Jay, looking forward to Thursday!

Any of you other guys that have been riding Freetown...any interest in doing a weekly ride? I really need to start riding more, but I'm not a big fan of hitting Freetown alone.
    I usually ride Freetown alone and I'd love a weekly ride.

Looks like I can't make it tonight though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Edmund House is so so right now. It seems that some of the mess caused by trucks has flattened out a little. There are a lot of downed trees. I will have to look for the new trail there are a couple there that I have followed but they are probably either hunter or just deer trails because they just disappear.

I ride from the main lot on Tues and Thurs. Riding today but not sure with the weather how far I will get.

I need to remember my folding saw. A lot of little stuff down, could easily be cleaned up.

Don't forget bug spray. And if you are out longer than an hour, get a small can to put in your pack because you will need to re-apply. Deer flies are awful so are skeeters!

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Last I heard the Edmond House trail had been taken over by Jeeps and 4x4's. I haven't been out there for years myself. Doug and I started clearing BR7-11, but that was before the blizzard.

Just a flesh wound
    Looking to ride this Thursday (the 4'th) if anyone is able. Can do Copicut or Weetamoo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I will be heading down tomorrow night and would be interested in meeting up, if not on Thursday then some other day before we head back North on the 15th. I have done basically no MTB riding in the area so would love to check out what is around and will be staying in Westport right next to Horseneck. Drop me a line and let's see what we can put together.

mtbr member
    I've got Thursday off, but promised the kids I'd bring em to the beach. Whats the earliest you guys are up for riding? I could hit the trails at 7 and probably be back early enough not to piss off my wife too much.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I like the idea of an early ride and 7 would be fine for me as I will be on a similar schedule for the day and the wife and family etc. I'm still in VT now but itching to leave when my wife gets out of work so one potential problem could be if traffic was a mess and we ended up getting in late, in which case an early ride might come too early. Keep in touch about a time & location etc and hopefully it will come together, and if not I will hit the road tomorrow and catch up another time. Looking forward to it!

Just a flesh wound
    I might be good for 7. Where do you want to ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    I might be good for 7. Where do you want to ride?
    PM sent
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Chris, Jay and anyone else around Westport interested in another MTB ride sometime soon? I can send out a text also but thought I would start here. Let me know!

PA

mtbr member
    I'd be down for that! Keep us posted.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Just a flesh wound
    I am back up in Cohasset. Working this week,so I'm out.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast