Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

Quote Originally Posted by petrini View Post
    I live close to the EH trails and walk my dogs starting at EH1 and sometimes shoot straight over to the trail just west of Eh2. I didn't set out any of these trails, but have done a lot of branch moving and cutting over the last year keeping them maintained for riders, runners and horses in mind. There is nothing worse then a network of trails becoming overgrown or unused for non-maintenance! Props to whomever first cut these trails, because they are windy and fun and not too rocky!
    Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DougRoscoe View Post
    The CH trails do look pretty good--thanks for the work. The one section I recently saw that needs clearing is the climb from CH5 to CH4. This has some very challenging sections even under the best conditions, but there are some major logs and trees across the trail that make it more frustration than it's worth. Probably chain saw work.

Ah yeah I'm assumin that's the trail that runs up to the radio tower? I've been riding with my dad and a third rider who is quite a novice on anything other than the smoothest single track so ice been avoiding the technical stuff to try and keep it fun. I'll have to give him a trial by fire this weekend if we're able to get down there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Rode that switchbacky trail on the east side again today, which I've dubbed the Pertussis Trail, to carry on the infectious disease theme suggested by the adjacent Ebola Trail. I'm calling that area of the bioreserve the Hot Zone.

Not surprisingly, it looks like the moto crowd has something to do with the maintained condition of the trails. Founds this race blaze:

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-pertussis1.jpg

It looks pretty weathered, but not so much, so probably a race earlier in 2014. I looked at the NETRA site and they have several events in E. Freetown on their schedule.

Despite this, the trail is really a blast to ride.

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-pertussis2.jpgSE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-pertussis3.jpg

It's all tight single track, decent share of rocks, decent amount of big obstacles and log-overs, decent amount of short and steep hills. Go ride it!

If you go, you'll find two entrances near each other to the right off the main EH Trail. If you take the first one, which is EH2, you'll need to peel off the main trail just after the EH 18 junction (which has no blaze, but has five trails crossing it) and then take a quick right on the single track heading northwest. If you don't make this turn you'll just head up the widetrack trail to EH4. If you take the second entrance off the EH Trail, then I think you will head toward that same spot and take a left just before you hit the main trail north of EH18. This is also the ending section (ridden counterclockwise), so you would retrace your steps for a bit if you went in this way.

I think maybe a mapping and blaze posting project should be on the agenda for the summer...

mtbr member

That's the one I rode the other day, I saw that netra arrow.

At blanchardmatt, the hill trail definitely needs a chainsaw again.

NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    the hill trail definitely needs a chainsaw again.

If anyone ever wants to put in a half day walking with me and my chainsaw I'd love to clear that CH stuff and a couple other things that have been bugging me. I can't do weekends but weekdays between about 1000 and 300 work for me. Some of the stuff I cleared of blow downs last winter is almost un-rideable now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b0xmonkey View Post
    If anyone ever wants to put in a half day walking with me and my chainsaw I'd love to clear that CH stuff and a couple other things that have been bugging me. I can't do weekends but weekdays between about 1000 and 300 work for me. Some of the stuff I cleared of blow downs last winter is almost un-rideable now.
    Weekdays are tough for me. I'm going to try to get out this sunday for a bit and i'll what i can do with my hand saw (a silky big boy folder). I did come down the antenna trail about 6 weeks ago but didn't have a chance to clear it as we were on the return route and it was getting late.

I rode a trail from BR11 to BR7 that it looks like someone crossed off this map (https://www.flickr.com/photos/33175822@N06/8275560462/) for some reason. That trail with some serious clearing could be awesome again.

Also from the same map the HS trails near the axle are close to rideable and definitely easily cleared. I'm going to try and get as many of them cleared as possible.

Has anyone ridden the DD trails on the west side of Bell Rock road recently? Those used to be crossed up but technical and fun if you could avoid the 2 stroke bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I rode a bunch of those trails today and its in better shape than I last saw. There's a whole bunch of singletrack that isn't on the map.

There is a singletrack that starts (or ends?) at EH9 at the pipeline. Its a small new singletrack on the south side. It runs for .4 miles to EH3. At EH3 it crosses the main trail to go around a huge puddle, then crosses back and goes into the woods on the south side again. That one runs for 2.5 miles, and loops all over before coming back to EH2. Its pretty flat, and mostly mellow, but it hasn't really been ridden in enough to get really fast yet.

There is also another unmarked trail that starts about 20 feet north of EH2 on the east side of the fireroad. It goes down the hill to just north of EH18, but just before you hit the trail that is on the map there is a 4.3 mile loop trail that winds back and forth up the hill and just goes on forever. This trail had quite a bit of climbing, it has a lot of potential, but it needs to be ridden in and maybe widened a bit, I think in the summer it would be really tight.

So overall, the stuff I rode was not in great shape, but it was 99% rideable, only a couple of fresh blowdowns. There is definitely a lot of potential and whoever built this stuff connected the singletracks so you can ride them as a big loop. The 4 mile loop has a lot of up and down and I think it could be a super fun trail with a little work.
    Is there snow on the ground at Copicut right now? Thinking about braving the cold to ride somewhere Saturday/tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by berkshire_rider View Post
    Is there snow on the ground at Copicut right now? Thinking about braving the cold to ride somewhere Saturday/tomorrow.
    Very little, just a dusting. A little wet today but it should be drier tomorrow.

mtbr member

Yeah it's supposed to be very cold , so tomorrow should be frozen rock hard. No snow on the ground.

NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Trails were fine. Everything was frozen and fast. The area must have received one of the snow squalls on Friday, as about 50% of the trails had a dusting on them.

Ended up doing 21.45 miles in the cold on Saturday.

Saw a few other bike tracks, but no riders or hikers.

FYI: The trail between CH4 & CH5 has several large trees blocking it in a couple different spots. I'd skip it for now, until someone gets a chance to get out there with a chainsaw. They are defintely too big for a folding hand saw.

mtbr member

[QUOTE=berkshire_rider;11712561
    The trail between CH4 & CH5 has several large trees blocking it in a couple different spots. I'd skip it for now, until someone gets a chance to get out there with a chainsaw. They are defintely too big for a folding hand saw.[/QUOTE]

I finally got out and cut those. So the hill trail is clear.

NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There's a meeting June 1 to discuss the preservation and maintenance of the FFR State Forest. Cycling users should be there to represent our viewpoint. I am going to try to be there.

Meeting to discuss Fall River-Freetown State Forest - News - southcoasttoday.com - New Bedford, MA

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'll try to make this meeting, not yet sure what my work schedule is next week though.

mtbr member
    How did that meeting go?

mtbr member
    It was pretty tame. A lot of people went; hunters, plymouth sands, local hikers, abutting residents, politicians, etc. Nothing was really resolved, except to have another meeting. Mike from Spark was there. I requested a website to host the map. Most people were concerned with illegal dumping and the general state of disrepair of the forest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It was pretty tame. A lot of people went; hunters, plymouth sands, local hikers, abutting residents, politicians, etc. Nothing was really resolved, except to have another meeting. Mike from Spark was there. I requested a website to host the map. Most people were concerned with illegal dumping and the general state of disrepair of the forest.
    The indian representation made the most requests; want the state and local officials to step up their efforts in finding who burned down their lodge; They want better control on who has gate keys; they want the state to come in and cut down all of the dead red cedars on their lands; they want vehicles to access state lands through other gates instead of the one near their building

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    any1 know of a spot wit a fire pit to hang out for the day around copicut res

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Maybe some of you know about this, but I'd recommend checking out an iOS and android app called Maplets. Users upload images of printed maps and then sync them to the underlying GPS grid. Then the app uses GPS on the phone to show you where exactly on the uploaded map you are. (Forum user dbperry created a webpage that did this for the Bioreserve back in 2013, but Maplets works a little slicker.)

I've uploaded and synced the full trail map for the Bioreserve. It works great; even off the cellular grid you can see exactly where you're at. (I uploaded the Village Green map, too, but it's harder to get lost in there.)

Doug

mtbr member
    When I used to ride Freetown it was in the days before cell phone map apps. I'd just go for 3-4 hours and try to find my way back before dark. Me and Buddy brought one of the DCR maps out with me today and were amazed at how barely any of the markers out there correlated to the map. It Bent Rim TRail really a trail or is that a road? (no need to answer). Seems like the water holes are the only markers that correlate to the map. Oh well, it's an awsome place to ride mindlessly.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There's two maps out there, a good one and a bad one. The good one is very good with numbers that correspond to the trail markers. I'm guessing you got the bad map.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Here's the good one, in png form.

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-bioreserve_trail_map.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Here is the real deal

This is a link to the pdf. map that can be zoomed and is able to pan.

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/do..._trail_map.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Also, not all the intersection markers are up yet. So far the KP, MB and CH signs are up. I should have the HS signs installed by the new year. BR, QG, and DD should be up in January.

If you're wondering,

KP - King Philip
    MB - Miller Brook
    CH - Copicut Hill
    HS - Hex Spring
    BR - Bell Rock
    QG - Queens Gutter
    MP - Mowry Path
    DD - Dr. Durfee
    Great Work!

can you tell me what these markers mean?

TB
    CS
    BN

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The signs are great!! Thanks!

TB - Terry Brook
    CS - Cedar Swamp
    BN - Breakneck Hill

mtbr member
    Jun 2012