Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trail Names

Hey, I'm getting ready to submit a writeup and map for Copicut Woods to the Nemba places to ride site. I'm looking to name a couple of the better trails so we can distinguish them and also to help people get out and find the good trails.

The trail I really wanted to name is the long windy one that heads northeast from br7 to the unmarked intersection on Grinnell Path. Its a great trail, and as you can see, tough to describe via map intersections. Long story short, I've been reading the book about paranormal activity in Freetown and came upon the chapter on Pukwudgies. That's right, Freetown has its own mythical creatures, called Pukwudgies.

Pukwudgie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So I'm gonna call it the Pukwudgie trail, because I find the idea hilarious and I like small, irritating, mischievous gremlin/troll type creatures.

CRGM, all the trails are open to bikes.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I think pukwudgie trail is awesome wish I was more creative and help you out. Let me know when your doing your next trail clean up would love to help i am Free most weekends.

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

Jay, I'm planning to go out in the a.m. tomorrow, 3/27 for about 2 or so hours to do a little clearing. How are the HS trails looking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member

Like the trail naming idea. Pukwudgies. Now I have someone to blame my inability to clear some of the rock gardens on.

mtbr member
    Hey, I can't get out there tomorrow, I've got to work. I rode today and did a little work. Actually a lot more work than I intended. The HS trails were in pretty tough shape. I was kind of bummed because I rode that loop we cleared about a month ago (Grinnell Path out to the "Pukwudgie trail" then back by the old moto trail over the rock) and it was in bad shape again. A lot of the pines got bent right back by those last couple of storms and there were a few big trees down. I cleared some, but ran out of time to do it all. Pretty much all of the trails south of the powerlines are in good shape at least.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Yesterday's ride was ch3 to ch6 then hs11, hs8 to br7 down pukwudgie but took the bailout near br10 because I was running out of time. Not much cutting but I pushed back a bunch of small stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jay,

Awesome job on the Copicut hill trail!! Thanks for the effort. We rode it today and it was actually enjoyable going up hill. Still needs some rock work or a reroute in a couple spots but it rode nice. The usually loop was in pretty good shape. However, BR11 to BR7 is trashed. I would say it looks worse then when we cleared it back in January. A lot of big trees down...frustrating!

mtbr member

Has anyone ridden Landon hill path recently? I'm looking to ride from the ranger station and was wondering if I should bring a saw

mtbr member

Trying to piece together a longer loop

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-imageuploadedbytapatalk-hd1365693524.064923.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just a reminder to everyone out there riding
    I went out 3 weeks ago and now have Lyme disease
    So remember to check for ticks it's gonna be a bad
    Year and yeah I forgot to check so that little sucker fed
    On me for 2 days but should be back riding in a week or two!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey, Anyone know "exactly" where the fire was that burned 21 acres off of Copicut Road this wknd?? I was there Sunday, knew nothing about it, but road some easier stuff due to the group I was with.

Brush fire burns 21 acres on Freetown/Fall River State Forest - Taunton, MA - The Taunton Daily Gazette

The thing that fires me up is that that they say "hikers and mtn bikers" start camp fires. It fires me up because on several occasions I have come across an unlocked gate due to vandalism and there is a somewhat still smoking fire only feet down the trail. Whoever is rolling down the trails and considering it "off roading" is making fires in the middle of the trail. What hiker or biker in their right mind would put the fire in the middle of the trail? Not any I know. An EP had told me months ago they were aware of this and were trying to catch the people (in trucks) that were doing it but were having a hard time as they were doing it at night. I really hope they take this seriously if this fire was caused by a campfire. It is very dry for this time of year.

Jay, let me know when you'll be out again, I can help. I know, hard to coordinate schedules...yes, those trails are a mess, but we can get together and hit it! I am usually out Sundays and Tues/Thurs afternoons.

mtbr member
    Hey, I was wondering about the fire as well. I've been super busy with work, coaching softball and I've been a bit beat up (back, wrist, etc), then my kids gave me the stomach bug, so I haven't been out there since about a month ago. The paper said the fire was off Copicut road, in Freetown, so I would guess it was somewhere between the horse farm and the hunters lot.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    hi was pointed to this thread about these trails i have ridden here once and liked it but got real lost. are there any group guided rides that go out?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Not really any regular organized rides. There are intersection markers now that coordinate with the map, so it is easier to navigate now.

The Copicut trails are definitely marked and better maintained than most of the trails in the State forest. I imagine the moto riders are out clearing their loop, so that should be clear, but that trail is very tough riding.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

I rode this am and found where the fire had happened. It's about midway on the pukwudgie trail.

mtbr member
    Great to hear about all the work being done, as well as the mapping.

Jay, good call on the Pukwudgie trail name! All those Freetown stories are great...when I used to ride there as a kid, my friends and I were pretty adamant about not getting caught out there after dark!

I gotta get back out there soon...if anyone plans on going, please post up here or PM me. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey I responded to your other thread on Freetown and just found this one. I don't ride but I do run Freetown/Swansea/weetamoo and some others. When I do Freetown I usually did the ledge side and east of the dirtbike parking lot. I'm going to start venturing off to copicut side this year once I start going there again. I'm willing to lend a hand when you guys go.

mtbr member
    Great to hear all the positive responses! Salty, I see lots of trail runners out around the Copicut area. Bummer that the fire was on the Pukwudgie trail. Any trail damage? Stuntman, lets get out and ride soon, the ice cream stores are settling into a nice rhythm, employees are trained, college help back, time to ride!

Bill Boles and I just finished up a writeup for Copicut Woods on the NEMBA places to ride site. Its got my finished copy of the map in PDF form as well as some basic info /parking diurections, etc. Link below :

Copicut
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went yesterday and Friday. Are those big maps available yet? Friday I parked at copicut main lot hoping to grab one and use it on the fly while running but there weren't any there. I started on horseshoe back to indian town hoping to hop right back in but came to what looked like 2 cold trails. So I just went north on copicut until that last house and went back in. Went as far north as that old abandoned truck. Far more than I wanted to do that day around 9 mile total counting walking/running. Yesterday was better all around, ran into a couple of guys on bikes.

We should collaborate and build a trail map with openstreetmap so it would be available on some gps apps. If you guys aren't familiar with it here's an example. These are the trails at village park Swansea. OpenStreetMap

It would take a little while to make. Something is better than nothing though.

mtbr member

Currently I use Garmin connect and Strava when I ride. Does that app. Show where on the trail you are? With the Garmin connect I can create a route then load it into my bike computer and follow the route

mtbr member
    I know Doug usually has a garmin with him when he rides, I'm sure he's got lots of GPS tracks, but I don't know if they are posted online anywhere. I agree that an easily accessible GPS trail map would be very nice to have.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As far as I know of For phone gps apps I know that motionx and Trimble utilize openstreetmap/opentrailmap. Also there are a couple of apps that allow you to record tracks and upload them to the openstreet site so they can be viewed.

I don't have knowledge on your garmin unit but I have heard of people using OSM data on their garmin GPS devices

If I take my dog for a hike there I will try to get the ball rolling on some OSM tracks. I figure it would be most accurate walking.

Also keep up on the tick checks. I logged a lot of mileage in the woods last year and I think I maybe pulled a half dozen or less of off me that weren't latched on the whole season. I pulled off 4 the other day and found one latched on to me early the next morning 3/4 of the way up my leg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

The Sadness of Fire

I had been riding the trails for a couple of weeks now and forgot about the fire. Couldn't find it. Had more time yesterday so decided to ride one of my favorite parts between BR10 and BR11 (off of the hunters lot and then to left) and started to smell "west coast burn" smell. The funny thing is when I described this trail to other people, I called it Tahoe because it's very much like what you would come across out west (minus the trees and brush) and now...it's alot like what you would find in the Sierras: because it's burned. You will run into the burn area right after a short drop on some rocks and right when the rock garden begins where there is a little spring. I didn't ride the second part, I took the bail out to the grassy trail.

You cannot see it from Copicut. It burned from close to BR 10 over to the grass trail and across. Those big rocks in the brush are now quite visible.

The trail was maintained by someone. I rode only half of it because I ran out of time from walking and looking at the ferns.

I am attaching a couple of pics, like I said the trail is 'ok' but the forest will come back even stronger, the ferns are already popping through. (Hopefully I got these pics attached right)

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-burnt-trail-2.jpg

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-burnt-trail-3.jpg

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF-imag2796.jpg

As for GPS, I use a different one that I can't remember the name of, and I need to run GPS Babel to convert it. I use it primarily to figure out where I am. I think out there, it's easier to set a few way points on the fire roads and then orient yourself in the forest. Maybe Doug has one?

mtbr member
    I rode through there today as well. That trail is the one we've been calling the Pukwudgie trail, we've done a couple of passes on that one with the trimmer/saw. Its the one shown in your first picture. I'm guessing the firefighters wet the trail down as a fire break, because everything is burned except the actual trail, like in your second pic.

I rode a bunch of the Copicut trails that we've been maintaining and the trails around there are in pretty good shape. I cut a few more limbs with the hand saw and I ran into 2-3 spots that need the chainsaw, but that's not bad considering I covered roughly 10-12 miles. It looked like there has been a bit more traffic out there and the trails are getting ridden in a bit.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    That's good the trails are seeing some traffic . I'm up for some riding or grooming soon, so if anyone is planning on going, post up!

I'd also be interested in a after work weekly ride too if anyone else is interested.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast