Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Jay,

I rode a small portion of the DD trail yesterday. On the Jan 20th workday I might be able to make it. I am not sure if you are talking about clearing the section from DD9 to somewhere around MP2 that has several blow downs. I have wanted to cut these for years but by the time I get there, I'm too beat. Yesterday I cut a few small (6 inch diameter) ones (I only had a bow saw, but carried lopers and some other stuff) and wow, cleared alot of downed pine. There is a huge wet mess on one of these trails that I would so like to correct but not sure how with mx riding it. Anyway, if you came from the powerline side down Mowry and took the first right, that is your best bet to clear down the two giant logs that are blocking the trail. I did what I call "first responder" on the trail so it's passable but it's not my usual trim job. I left the little log puzzle intact where you cross and log and manage between two trees. It was affectionately named Ma Barker a couple of years ago. LOL yes these things have names.

I do have a photo that I'm going to post. I am not sure who is sawing the small pines in this area, but use loppers. And lop them close to the ground. These turn into tubeless tire killers on the side of the trail. I'm sure whoever did it was trying to help, they can borrow my loppers next time. So much easier than a saw (which appears to be what they were using).

I rode from the rangers lot down BR and there are a few blow downs at BR5. I cleared a few other ones. There were mx and quads on the trail and you will see how they rammed through the pines to get around the blowdowns. Also the gate to BR (Grinnell Path) was open. Please let the ranger know there is no chain nor lock but I put a stick in it. Like that is going to hold them back. The trails north of the one DD9 I have not touched. I know there is a trail in there that I tried to ride a year ago and had to walk and fight my way most of the time. It will be beautiful once cleaned up.

See you hopefully on Sunday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    We are going to work on the singletrack that is south of the eastern part of Canfield trail.
    Funny, i hiked that trail today with my dogs......its really a great trail, and yes needs a hell of a lot of work......i wish, oh i wish i could make it out there but my wife is returning from a trip and will be getting her from the airport........but good in the same i will head over to that one when i get a chance......for sure the weekend after.....there are a lot of downs and brush to be cut back.....if you finish great work...if not i will be out there continuing next sunday or saturday.......

i noticed that you posted a map with a different trail config.........good, cause i was going to question the map that i have.........the trails are not there....haha

wish i could get out there again with the group.......but anyhow.....good luck this sunday......

oh and yes to swansea dam.....i did alot of work in there.....2 trails under my belt "2 guys " and "chutes and ladders"...they were all dug out with a hoe...a big one, cant forget the bridges

take care....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdurand View Post
    Funny, i hiked that trail today with my dogs......its really a great trail, and yes needs a hell of a lot of work......i wish, oh i wish i could make it out there but my wife is returning from a trip and will be getting her from the airport........but good in the same i will head over to that one when i get a chance......for sure the weekend after.....there are a lot of downs and brush to be cut back.....if you finish great work...if not i will be out there continuing next sunday or saturday.......

i noticed that you posted a map with a different trail config.........good, cause i was going to question the map that i have.........the trails are not there....haha

wish i could get out there again with the group.......but anyhow.....good luck this sunday......

oh and yes to swansea dam.....i did alot of work in there.....2 trails under my belt "2 guys " and "chutes and ladders"...they were all dug out with a hoe...a big one, cant forget the bridges

take care....
    Yeah, I've run into Marco a few times and I asked him what he used to dig that trail in. I asked him if he'd used a pulaski or mcleod and he replied "portuguese hoe". It cracked me up. Nobody can dig like the portuguese. I don't mean to offend anyone, but if you live in the Fall River area you know what I mean.

I'm not sure how many are going to show up Sunday, but Doug and I will be out there and I think he's dragging at least one other guy with him. I think if we can just clear all the blowdowns out it will be a victory.

No problem if you can't make it. If you can get out there on your own time and do some pruning that would be great. That's actually a really good idea. I can just post the current trails we're working on and anyone who can get out there and do a little work can feel free to jump in and do as much or little as they want. It all adds up. On the flip side, if there's a trail you like we've been neglecting, post it up.

About the map. I did add in a few trails and I took out a lot of the boundaries. I think they confuse the map and they actually cover up a couple of trails so they are really hard to see. I'd like to get the whole forest done eventually. I also want to get the maps online so people can download and print what they need.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys, I will be at Cantfield around 9. I was going to work on DD trimming or I can help you. Let me know! Karin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jujubee View Post
    Hey guys, I will be at Cantfield around 9. I was going to work on DD trimming or I can help you. Let me know! Karin
    We'll be there, look for a blue GMC pickup and a Honda Ridgeline. We plan on hitting the trail to the east of Bell Rock Road thats south of Canfield trail. Hopefully we get that done and do a little of the DD trails too.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Tried out all the CH trails today, real nice stuff, looking forward to checking out the rest of it. I've ridden a lot in the north end of the forest by the quarry but had no idea these trails were there. I'd like to put in some time with you guys clearing trails, can't do it this Sunday but I'll keep an eye on the board..Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    i plan on being out there next weekend..........if we could get a progress report from this weekend that would be great.......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They're calling for some snow early this week, the trail conditions are good right now but that may change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdurand View Post
    i plan on being out there next weekend..........if we could get a progress report from this weekend that would be great.......
    We did the trail that is south of Canfield trail on the east side of Bell Rock Rd. Its been cleared of blowdowns and pruned back. It's in good shape to ride, except it could stand to be raked or blown.

We headed out there and noticed that a lot of the blowdowns were already cut, then a half hour later two older guys on dirtbikes rode by. They had a chainsaw with them and said they were the ones who were cutting. Technically they aren't supposed to be out there, but if they are doing trailwork then fine with me. They also said not to make the entrances too clear so that the other dirt bikes wouldn't find the trail. Go figure. These guys weren't spinning their tires or anything. They seemed like good guys.

My next target is BR11 to BR7. Another trail that needs it is from BR5 to BR4. This one isn't really that crucial, cause there is that parallel trail just south of it.

Let me know what time you're going out. I may be able to get out and help. Supposed to snow tonight and maybe again this weekend so that may screw things up.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The new/old trail is awesome. The two guys on dirt bikes commented they had been riding there for years, which judging how little impact they did to the trail, they really have been. You couldn't tell they had even been over the trail. The sad thing is dirt bikers like them keep the trails open and packed, it's the other ones that dig everything up. Heck, they even wanted to hide the trails from "them".

Depending on the temperatures and snow, I will be out on the DD trails with a few people cutting blow downs on Saturday. I will report what we get done. I know of several big trees over the trail and I can give some feedback on what trails we didn't get.

BTW Jay...what's the make/model of that hedge trimmer you brought? That might be my next 'big purchase'. Made it soooo much faster.

Maybe once we get all the trails clear and accounted, maybe we can have adopt a trails where people can work on their assigned trail whenever they can. Just a thought for the future, right now there is plenty to do before summer seems like there might be a good pool of people that want to help but not all at the same time.

mtbr member
    Its an Echo gas powered trimmer. I got it at Home Depot.

I like the adopt a trail idea. I think a semi-coordinated effort works well. Once all the signs are up it'll be easier to identify specific trails that need pruning work. Then if someone has some time and motivation they can just head out and work at their own convenience.

I hope eventually to use group trailwork days to do more extensive work. There are some spots where I'd like to do some small reroutes to improve flow. Specifically the Copicut hill trail, CH3-4-5.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone up for some TM Saturday morning? 9ish? I'm thinking about hiking in from the hunters lot and clearing the blow downs on BR11 to BR7. If that trail is not to bad I might continue to the trail off of Grinnell Path to HS3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jay and I got out this am and cleared br11 to br7. It's completely pruned out though we did pick leave the brush on thebground up towards br7 as we got tired. Still a couple big blow downs that'll we get next time with a sharpened chainsaw. Only and inch or so of snow and very rideable.

mtbr member

Trailwork Ride

If anyone out there is interested in helping out, we're going to go for a trail work ride this Sunday morning. Sawing and picking up branches. Any help is greatly appreciated, should be a real nice day to be out in the woods.

We're going to park at the Canfield lot on Bell Rock Rd at 9am.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

Do you still have to come in from the assonet side to Canfield or is the road fixed up yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Yeah, you have to come in from Assonet. They aren't going to pave any further. Just like Fall River to waste a bunch of money paving half of the road. The half that leads to Assonet no less.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Went out Tuesday a.m. And rode/cleared CH7 to CH3 loop. Wasn't too bad until near the house. I tried riding up CH3 to the fire tower. That trail needs lots of all around help. The horseshoe trail is ok but needs a little touch up of the beech tree branches.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by richlather View Post
    Went out Tuesday a.m. And rode/cleared CH7 to CH3 loop. Wasn't too bad until near the house. I tried riding up CH3 to the fire tower. That trail needs lots of all around help. The horseshoe trail is ok but needs a little touch up of the beech tree branches.

Cool! I'm planning to hit it again with the chainsaw on Sunday. I was planning to park at the CH1 trail head and focus on the loop south of the power lines. Probably around 8:30 - 9:00.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    We got out yesterday and hiked CH1 -> CH2 -> CH7 -> HS11 -> CH6 to CH3 that loop is all clear. However, there were spots with 1.5 - 2 feet of snow. It'll be a couple weeks before that is all gone.

mtbr member
    I was out in the forest this morning putting up signs. We got 15 more intersection markers up, mostly around Payne Rd, Makepeace Rd, and Hathaway Rd.

The snow melted like mad, I haven't been out near Copicut Hill where we encountered that really deep snow, but I'd have to imagine its mostly melted off. I bet our footprints helped a bunch too. Still plenty squishy though. Hopefully by next weekend everything will be clear and rideable.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey Jay,

I rode last week along the Bell Rock then tried the trail I maintained across Bell Rock from the Cantfield yellow gate. It is completely closed down due to blow overs. I have a couple of guys that are willing to go out either this Saturday or the next. We got about a few hundred feet in and turned around. Trees and branches everywhere. I will report back when it's cleaned up. The grassy trails across the road from Copicut Hill seem to be all clear and awesome. I can imagine other trails must be just as blown down.

Liking the new signs! Where can I get a full size map? The ranger station?

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I was out in the forest this morning putting up signs. We got 15 more intersection markers up, mostly around Payne Rd, Makepeace Rd, and Hathaway Rd.

The snow melted like mad, I haven't been out near Copicut Hill where we encountered that really deep snow, but I'd have to imagine its mostly melted off. I bet our footprints helped a bunch too. Still plenty squishy though. Hopefully by next weekend everything will be clear and rideable.

mtbr member
    You can grab a map at either the ranger station or Copicut Woods. I hope to stock some at Scotties Cycles in Westport as well.

I went out that trail across from Canfield trail the other day to put up the DD 10 sign. Luckily I brought the saw, so that trail is now mostly clear up to the DD 10 intersection. Past that is probably a mess.

Me, Doug and crew did most of the Copicut Hill trails as well as the main HS trails, so that area is in pretty good shape. I rode there today with the hand saw and did probably 10-12 more blowdowns as well as bent a bunch of pines back up. The snow is gone and the trails are fairly dry, the Copicut trails should be in good shape by the weekend, if we don't get too much snow tonight.

I rode some of the moto trail and the CCC trail to put up signs and they were a disaster, had to cut my way in just to get to the intersections. So the stuff we haven't touched is bound to be in rough shape. I don't think those trails got cleared from the hurricane, never mind the blizzard.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

I rode down HS10 the other day. It's gonna need help. If the weather is decent this coming week I might try to go midweek

mtbr member
    Yeah, that trail is faint. I didn't even know it was there until I had to put up the sign. I actually found it by riding in from the back and I had to clear a lot of pines to get through. I got out there and did the Copicut Hill trail this week. I pruned it all and then leafblew it. Its not perfect, but its way better. Just needs to be ridden and a bit more light pruning.

Send me a message when you go out, I may have some mornings free next week.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Rode mb1 and horseshoe trail today before getting a flat and realizing I had nothing to fix it with that's next on the list of stuff to buy. 1 blowdown on horseshoe but that was it looked good cant wait to get out and see more trails are they all open to mountain bikers? No snow and pretty dry where I was for a trail update.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast