Icebiker

Safe Parking (for car with bikes/kayaks) in downtown Boston?

My wife and I are headed from NJ to Mass mid-summer for some riding and kayaking before picking up our teenage son (who will be attending a two week program at BU). We'd like to bring our own bikes and boats, but we'll be staying a night or two in the BU area so are not sure if there's any place to realistically park our truck with boats on top (bikes could fit inside). Any tips/recommendations/advice? Skip the boats? Bikes ok locked inside truck? etc
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bikes should be fine In the truck, and I can't see anyone in the city being able to make off with a kayak unnoticed. How big are the boats? My biggest concern in Boston wouldn't be theft (still lock them to the rack though) but rather parking. Kayaks may sit too high for entrance into parking garages (bikes definitely sit too high) or hang too far rearward to parallel park.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I used to live near the BU area. Where are you guys staying? Hotel? W/ friends? What time of the week? Weekend or weekday?

Weekend you may be able to find streets w/ resident parking but only for weekdays, so you'd be good until mid Monday morning (I think). I'm trying to think if there are any open lots where you could leave the car for a day or two. Coming up short. The other option is to park just outside the city and take the T in (find an arm on the Green line - Riverside terminus might be good). But with that, you're leaving your car in a lot - and you'd be far away from it.

I think the boats would be fine, as long as they are locked well to the truck. It will be summer, which means less chance of asshat college kids trying to make off with your gear. Definitely bring bikes inside or lock them in the truck (covered if possible). If its visible, thiefs WILL try to take it. Happened to a friend of mine - she was moving to Boston and stupidly left her car on a side street for a couple days with ALL of her belongings in it. Thiefs broke in and made off with computer, jewelery, etc.

Worst case is ask the hotel (if you're staying in one) if you could take down your boats and have them lock in in the basement somewhere. Worth a shot maybe? I know the area pretty well, feel free to PM. Then you;d be able to park the truck in the hotel garage.

Icebiker
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. Not sure where we're staying yet. Last time it was at hotel near the Orpheum. All the parking there is on decks, too low for the boats...but the bikes would likely be fine. Maybe we leave the boats (13' and 11') at our friends' house in Hartford before making the drive to Boston. Will PM if need more info as we get closer to the date. Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd try to find a underground parking garage if you really want to keep your gear safe. As suggested, keep the bikes locked in the vehicle. I doubt anyone would have the balls to steal a kayak, but ya never know.

The area around BU isn't not far from some of the sketchiest parts of Boston. Bikes in Boston can be stolen in seconds. I'm very cautious so I would skip the boats.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2005 Trek Bruiser SS