mtbr member
    May 2006

Rultland SP and surrounding area

I just heard from the owner of Fritz's that mountain bikes are not allowed on the trails in Rutland/Oakham/Barre/Hubbardston, only the rail trail and fire roads. Some people have been warned of fines and that it is going to be patroled. I know a lot of people ride there, but does anyone know what happened?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My guess is the rouge trail building around the watershed area and that people are posting the rides on Strava which are creating more traffic. This is noticed by the rangers which got the attention of some of the big wigs and the rest is history. I know that there are people who are working on a solution, I believe NEMBA is involved as well. But until there is some kind of decision made or hearing for this issue, please do not ride the trails that are off limits, this will just give them more reason to close them down for good.

This is not the only place where people are getting fined either. The old AMC trails in worcester/paxton and holden are and have been off limits. But until recently the reservoir security wasn't cracking down. Now if you get caught in there it is a $250-$1000 fine and they take your bike. Ride at your own risk, they also have game cameras to take your pic and if your car is parked near the green gate on Howard st you will automatically be fined as well, ask me how I know this.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Okay, that makes sense. I did a road ride in the area today and actually read the access sign. It clearly states which blazes are for bikes. I just have to now look for them or ride somewhere else until things are resolved. I live a half mile from the old AMC trails and stopped riding there years ago when someone pointed out the No Tresspassing sign. The last thing I need at my age is to get in trouble for riding my bike...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    This all really bums me out! Here's hoping that there's some resolution. Until then, I will abide (and ride my road bike more).

guru meditation
    Does this include the midstate trail (within Rutland SP?) and the "T" trails?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain View Post
    Good question, I would say do not ride that either for the time being just in case. The rail trail and fire roads do allow biking though.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain View Post
    Yes, bicycles are, and have been since 2000(?), banned from ALL singletrack throughout the 25,000 acre Ware River Watershed. What's new are the enforcement threats. It's important to note that Rutland State Park is a tiny ~250 acres comprised mostly of Whitehall Pond and the picnic/beach area. Normally when you ride in Rutland, etc, you are in the Ware River Watershed.

I am actively working this issue with several other locals and NEMBA. Lots of meetings have and will be taking place. Here is the official statement thus far:

Ware Watershed & Mountain Biking | NEMBA

Stay tuned...that web link should be updated as we know more.
    Last edited by icycle; 01-05-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on Sunday August 30, 2015

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the update and your work on this issue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Fritz's said there was an update and it doesn't look too good. See icycle comment below:
    Last edited by vw_steggie; 10-07-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: asked to by another user

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie View Post
    Fritz's said there was an update and it doesn't look too good
    Thanks for updating the group VW, I'd neglected to do so after we posted the message. Would you mind editing your post to replace the copied content with the link:

Finding Solutions and Improving Mountain Biking in the Ware Watershed | NEMBA

We've found that having the content in one spot (NEMBA website) is preferable to copy/paste since we've had some clarifications come in since we originally posted the statement; one copy is better than many to edit if needed.

Thanks
    See you at the Treasure Valley Rally XC MTB race in Rutland, MA on Sunday August 30, 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Rather disappointing. I get the watershed needs protecting, but horses and walkers have less impact?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think it is more politics and the new director's opinion of cyclist that is the issue. That land has been torn apart so many times by logging and farming that the recreation users should have little effect. Anyway, in the first NEMBA link, horse are allowed on only two trails. I would think the snow machine use in the winter and the walkers that throw their trash everywhere polute more.
    Last edited by vw_steggie; 11-06-2014 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_steggie View Post
    We have a date now, 2019...
    Don't despair, the rules can and have changed between access plan revisions. We are awaiting a response to this:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1j0b0wclu...o_DCR.pdf?dl=0

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I know, I know. It just made me a little sad when I saw the date. On another note, did they stop enforcing the trail ban? I've been riding the dirt roads the past couple weeks and still see groups coming in and out of the trails during the day and after dark...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ware River Watershed trails info meeting: Wed Jan 14, 7pm at the Rutland Library. Spread the word and read on for more info... The date is set and the venue is secured for the January meeting that we polled people for ( Doodle: Ware River Watershed Trails Informational Meeting ).

We've closed the poll and are announcing the date as Wed Jan 14. We booked the large room in the downstairs of the Rutland Town Library, 280 Main St, Rutland, MA. The library is in the center of town, on Rte 122A, just to the left as you face the two churches. Enter in the lower rear library door. The meeting will start at 7pm but we've got the room starting at 6:30pm so feel free to come earlier so we can start on time. Please spread the word of this, would like to reach as many as possible. Thanks!

With that, we will begin spreading the word and your help is welcomed and needed to do this. To be sure, we are working to help solve the issues the DCR is facing in the watershed while at the same time balancing access for non-motorized trail users. We want more than anything to create a win-win arrangement and welcome you to join us on this journey.

Thanks for your help and hope to see you there

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Reminder: this meeting (see post #16 above) is tomorrow evening.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Final reminder, see you tonight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    How did it go?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    How did it go?
    It went very well. Packed room (~60 people), very interactive discussion, lots of questions answered and suggestions made. Stay tuned for more info.

If anyone here cares about the outcome of this issue, just PM me your name & email address and we'll keep you in the loop on the latest and how you can help.

Thanks!