mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Riding the taconic skyline/crest trails?

Does anybody have any insight - or better yet, experience - into riding the taconic skyline or crest trails? I know the skyline trail is multi-use (including motorized vehicles), so I doubt it would be very fun to ride. But I could be wrong - anybody ever do it?

On the other hand, I think the crest is supposed to be more singletrack-y and hiking oriented, which may be more fun to ride if it's open to bikers. Any info on this one?

It seems like this would be a brilliant point-to-point long distance ride - something we don't get much of here in MA.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've only been on short stretches of the Taconic Crest Trail, they were good to ok. Every year I hope to make it back, it's been 15 years, and give it a real effort. I've heard that the area around Petersburg Pass has seen more use recently and may be in pretty good shape.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    Does anybody have any insight - or better yet, experience - into riding the taconic skyline or crest trails? I know the skyline trail is multi-use (including motorized vehicles), so I doubt it would be very fun to ride. But I could be wrong - anybody ever do it?

On the other hand, I think the crest is supposed to be more singletrack-y and hiking oriented, which may be more fun to ride if it's open to bikers. Any info on this one?

It seems like this would be a brilliant point-to-point long distance ride - something we don't get much of here in MA.
    Have you tried the mm trail or the nipmuck or the north south trail (70+mile point to point in ri)?

Rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Or the whole Bay Circuit trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's definitely not the only point to point in MA... and no I haven't tried those ones.

This particular ride appeals to me because I grew up skiing at Jiminy Peak, which I believe sits at the northern terminus of these trails. Bombing down Jiminy's mtb trails would be one helluva way to finish a ~30 miler over the Taconics.

I'm not saying those other rides wouldn't be fun, I'm just looking for intel specifically on this one. Doesn't seem like many people have done it...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well having ridden all around jiminy and the fact that it's on par or better than much of northern ne, I'd say finishing up a 30 miler down jiminy would be epic. Amazing riding out there for sure.

rog

mtbr member
    From rt 20 over the skyline to Jiminy is definitely an epic good time. Not single track but definitely challenging. some sections are better than others but it's all good fun. Taconic Crest is ok but it is meant more for hikers so has more pointless up's and down's