guru meditation

Riding in Autumn (and beyond) ?

As I am a n00b, I have not yet had the chance to ride here in NE area during the colder months of the year - or anywhere for that matter. What are some essential gear/clothing choices and are lights a definite necessity? Lastly, does hunting season in the state parks affect riding at all?

I appreciate any input, thanks!

MC MasterShake
    Welcome NOOB. Autumn in New England is the best time to ride, IMO. The weather is usually drier, the bugs go away, and I don't overheat anymore. I've never had any problems with hunters, besides one a-hole bow hunter who was giving us attitude. I live on the North Shore of Boston so the weather is probably a bit warmer.

There are some essentials though.

1. Good lights - Yes, a necessity unless you like being limited to weekend rides only. It gets dark quick, especially after day light savings. Spend the dough and get solid lights. It seems expensive now but they are completely worth it. You'll be able to ride most of the year with them for many years to come. If you get sucky lights you'll be riding those for years to come. I'd expect to spend around $300 to $400 and go for Triple-LED. Or you can find some HID's on blowout. I saw a good set for as low as $125.

2. Clothing - I run hot so I wear very little. I ride normal shorts year round and I have a couple of thin poly long sleeve shirts and then a lightweight fleece. Make sure everything you get dries fast. Windblock material helps as well. Thicker socks for fall and heavy weight wool for winter is all I use. My buds swear by the elbow and knee warmers, but I would overheat in them. A skullcap is handy to have as well for those cold nights. Most hiking/snowboarding gear works just fine. You'll have to figure out what works best for you.

3. Stocked Camelbak - Some of my buds can get by w/o one but I don't know how they do it. Bike repairs in the dark and the cold can be frustrating. Having to walk out of the woods in the dark in the cold is worse. I keep a couple tubes, patches, quick links, a tool that can do it all, spare clif bar, extra clothes in my pack for the fall.

4. Post Ride - Warm dry clothes and cold beer. Nothing beats it.

guru meditation
    Thanks woodyak!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It also depends upon how extreme you wana get. I love riding in the snow (5" no more) & ice, esp when we have freezing rain. Not the best driving (car)/walking cond. but w/ studs on, its a blast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    WHere are you located ? because cone Snow season , there are always a Bunch of us who make Otis ( cape cod ) runs. they tend to not have much snow
    I'm Better known as Splat

Class Clown
    Keep your bike clean especially if you ride on streets after it snows, salt is a parts killer. I always try to dress in good lightweight clothing, waterproof/windproof is a plus. full bike gloves (with fingers). When I step outside if I'm not a little chilly I'm wearing too much. Lights yep. I wear something on my head under the helmet when it starts getting real cold. good tires.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Have to mention booties! I didn't think they were necessary until last year and this spring when I rode in mid-November and early April. My feets froze. Those shoes that vent so nicely in the summer WILL keep venting in the cold weather and freeze your feets. Duct taping the vents does not work as well as booties.

And as far as clothing goes, if you're too warm after the first mile, you're dressed too heavily and will overheat.

guru meditation
    Woah, thanks a lot everyone, now I have a shopping list. Circusjunk I am in Northbridge, looking forward to getting my ass out on the trails in the cold, never been to Otis but been reading that its a great spot. Lots of good trails around this part of the world, really glad I bought a bike.

mtbr member
    Have you checked out BVNEMBA? Group rides every Wed night. As day light gets shorter you ll definitely want to have a light but its a good group.

http://www.nemba.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

achiever
    When it's really cold I like a softshell jacket over a polypro base on top. For the bottom, I have some Voler tights that I wear under some baggies. I also often wear my knee/shin pads to keep my legs warm and they definitely help when I wipe out on ice. Softshell gloves and a skull cap under my helmet, too. Riding on hard packed snowmobile trails is super fun and you can often go faster than on dirt.