Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rideable trails

mtbr member

rideable trails

The snow here north of Boston has made the trails unrideable. How far south will I have to drive to find some rideable trails and any suggestions?

Who are the brain police?
    Probably too far for the after work ride, but for the weekend...
    Otis down Falmouth is almost always clear.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

MC MasterShake
    I tried to ride the Gordon College trails yesterday and it was a disaster. Sheets of ice everywhere. I'm trying Dogtown this afternoon. That looks pretty clear.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Ice...Smice!

The Cape Ann area is pretty clear. Dogtown, Gordon College, Manchester by the Sea and Beverly Farms are all ridable at this time. They all have Ice though! Studs are a neccessity!!!

Good times though!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Road OTIS last wkend and it was completely ridable. Some of the shaded areas had a bit of ice, other areas were a bit muddy, but overall fun. As of last Saturday, south of Boston had very little snow. This was distinctively different from the 2+ ft at my house North of Boston. Can't imagine trying to ride Gordon College/Red Dot with any ice.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by XCslowpoke
    Road OTIS last wkend and it was completely ridable. Some of the shaded areas had a bit of ice, other areas were a bit muddy, but overall fun. As of last Saturday, south of Boston had very little snow. This was distinctively different from the 2+ ft at my house North of Boston. Can't imagine trying to ride Gordon College/Red Dot with any ice.
    I just rode some of that today w/o studs. It wasn't too bad. It's pretty slushy so it sticks in most places. There were some icy spots but they were easily avoidable. Dogtown is in great shape. I rode it all weekend w/o studs. The Gordon trails were a complete ice sheet last Thursday. Hopefully Friday's rain will wash this stuff away. I'm officially done with winter

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Any thoughts on the Fells?

My buddies and I are planning a night ride in Wednesday in the Fells. I believe that there will be more snow there than in Gloucester. I'm trying to decide on my tire choices. Studs or big and meaty?

Any thoughts?

MC MasterShake
    For a night ride I'd probably go with studs. The stuff that's melting today will ice up at night.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

That's two for studs!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    For a night ride I'd probably go with studs. The stuff that's melting today will ice up at night.
    That's my thoughts. I'm just concerned that tomorrow going into the 40s and I'm not sure if it's going to firm up right away. I guess we'll see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Report back on conditions, haven't been out up North since prior to the V-Day storms. Did a road ride in the Wilmington/Reading/Wakefield area during lunch one day. Getting bored with the trainer, although haven't spent the money for studs. SSing down on the cape last wkend was a lot of fun.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    No Prob!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Riding the Fells.

So here's your Fells riding condition report.

Compacted granular snow. Ridable on the fire roads and quite squirmy on the singltracks. Not much Ice accept in the low lying areas and puddles on the fire roads.

I ran my studs expecting more ice than there was. The conditions were such that big fat nasties would have been a better choice! Floatation is tha name of the game here! The skinny 2.1 studded tires just kept digging holes on the singletrack climbs.

It was a blast but alot of work. My buddy threw in his hat a little over half way through the single track. Fire roads out was his plan.

I think that the best time right now to ride would be early morning when the snow has had the night to freeze up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks BMJ

Thanks for the update BMJ, we shall see what tomorrow brings. I've heard snow in my area, Andover. Although later in the day it turns to rain and the temps are to be in the high 30 to 40's during the day for the next wk. Temps at night are hovering around freezing. That combination ought to make the trails nice and sloppy. Guess I might be on my roadbike a bit more often. Such is life better on a bike than not at all but would prefer to be in the dirt!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Manchester / Gordon trails

Before the ice and snow I usually ride the Pine St trails in Manchester and the ones around Gordon college as a morning ride. I'll take a look Saturday and report back.

mtbr member

re:Otis

Rode Otis yesterday and most of the trails were extremely muddy. The ones up on the ridges or high ground were great. After today's rain, it will take a while for the trails to dry out. I'd advise to stay off of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Manchester / Gordon trails

As of today the trails are still sheets of ice. Less deep than last week but still can't ride on them without studs in the tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Riding in the Fells...

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    So here's your Fells riding condition report.

Compacted granular snow. Ridable on the fire roads and quite squirmy on the singltracks. Not much Ice accept in the low lying areas and puddles on the fire roads.

I ran my studs expecting more ice than there was. The conditions were such that big fat nasties would have been a better choice! Floatation is tha name of the game here! The skinny 2.1 studded tires just kept digging holes on the singletrack climbs.

It was a blast but alot of work. My buddy threw in his hat a little over half way through the single track. Fire roads out was his plan.

I think that the best time right now to ride would be early morning when the snow has had the night to freeze up.
    BMJ and anyone else interested in riding in the Fells...

Are you aware that the Fells is closed to riding from January 1st to April 15??? Are you aware that being in the park after dark is illegal? Were you aware that this policy has been in effect for decades and is posted all over the place?

The MA DCR is very upset about riding during closed periods in the Fells and I strongly urge you to rethink your riding strategy. The Fells is a valuable resource and a favorite riding spot to many in the Greater Boston area. All it takes is a few mistakes to lose the priviledge of riding there forever.

In addition, I strongly urge you to go out and purchase some common sense...you seem to have run out all at once. What were you thinking when you decided to go riding during a thaw?!? No matter where you ride, as soon as the temps climb above freezing you should forget about riding on trails until they either refreeze (3-4 days) or have evaporated all the water out of the soil (1-2weeks). Why not have a little patience and stay off the trails until they are ready...try a spin class or go for a road ride like the rest of us. It is this kind of riding that wrecks the trails and make tons of extra work for those of us who have to go out and repair them each season. Try to be a world citizen...

mtbr member

Nothing good to report here,

Beverly and Lynn both are a mess....

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

conditions

Quote Originally Posted by ragertim
    BMJ and anyone else interested in riding in the Fells...

Are you aware that the Fells is closed to riding from January 1st to April 15??? Are you aware that being in the park after dark is illegal? Were you aware that this policy has been in effect for decades and is posted all over the place?

The MA DCR is very upset about riding during closed periods in the Fells and I strongly urge you to rethink your riding strategy. The Fells is a valuable resource and a favorite riding spot to many in the Greater Boston area. All it takes is a few mistakes to lose the priviledge of riding there forever.

In addition, I strongly urge you to go out and purchase some common sense...you seem to have run out all at once. What were you thinking when you decided to go riding during a thaw?!? No matter where you ride, as soon as the temps climb above freezing you should forget about riding on trails until they either refreeze (3-4 days) or have evaporated all the water out of the soil (1-2weeks). Why not have a little patience and stay off the trails until they are ready...try a spin class or go for a road ride like the rest of us. It is this kind of riding that wrecks the trails and make tons of extra work for those of us who have to go out and repair them each season. Try to be a world citizen...
    Just to clarify the conditions that night. We were not riding on anything that resembled mud or open surfaces. At the time, any digging in for traction was in the snow.

I had the urge to go riding this past weekend with the nice weather but you are right about the trails being fragile in this state.

Yes I'm aware that the Fells is closed after dark. I have no excuse for this. We often run into many riders year round at night at many of the closed parks.

MC MasterShake
    Dogtown is clear. It's been rideable for a couple of weeks now.

mtbr member
    Just to clarify the conditions that night. We were not riding on anything that resembled mud or open surfaces. At the time, any digging in for traction was in the snow.

I had the urge to go riding this past weekend with the nice weather but you are right about the trails being fragile in this state.

Yes I'm aware that the Fells is closed after dark. I have no excuse for this. We often run into many riders year round at night at many of the closed parks.
    So you are admittedly one of the people who doesn't care if he ruins things for everyone else. Not cool man. There are a lot of serious mountain bikers including myself that have worked very hard in there and continue to work hard to keep the place open for riding. If you don't care about the trails and don't care to respect the law then at least respect the riders that do care.

Black Lion
    classic.
    Justifying one act of bad behavior by pointing to another.
    Voltron

gbnemba.org

So you were "aware" but you are in possession of the special decoder ring that means the rules don't apply to you? What a load of crap. Selfish people like you are going to ruin years of careful work (political and trail maintenance) unless you smarten up. Stay the hell out of the park when its closed.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    I apologize for causing trouble!
    I've convinced my riding buddies to somewhere less controvertial tonight.
    We will apply better judgement in the future.

gbnemba.org

Good job!

I apologize for causing trouble!
    I've convinced my riding buddies to somewhere less controvertial tonight.
    We will apply better judgement in the future.
    Thanks for doing the right thing.

Please continue to spread the word!

Keep the rubber side down,

Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast