mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Renting in boston

Would like to rent a bike in Boston today to do some urban touring (first time in city). Anyone know of good place? Would like to get clipped in, sadly I didn't bring any of my stuff though .
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Probably too late, but JRA in Medford demos mountain bikes for 60 dollars a day. They sell some road bikes, don't know if they demo them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you're just looking to ride around downtown, an outfit called Hubway rents bikes in various areas around the city, PO Square for example.

I've only walked past them, but they are very basic comfort bikes, I assume you rent them by the hour.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I ended up renting a Giant Anthem 27.5 from Urban Adventours all day. It cost me 100 dollas but in the end I was much much happier racking up 30 miles with it.

I actually started out with a Giant Hybrid for 35 dollars but I bottomed out the rim against something with my style of riding before I even left the block lol so I knew that wasn't going to work.

When we went down to the basement to see what they had and what would fit, as soon as I saw that Anthem 27.5 in Large I knew that was it. I had demoed one before but it was a size too small which resulted in an overall weird experience so this was a perfect opportunity.

I ended up riding out to Fells to do a lap with it where I settled in with it and got comfortable. At first I was a bit meh at it's neutral geometry, but after some time on the trail it made sense and I really enjoyed handling it.

I just wish I either started earlier in the day or drove out to fells so I could do two laps. Oh well.

The mechanic was pretty cool and I'm thankful he mentioned Fells otherwise I'm not sure if I would have ever made it out there. Riding that rocky terrain was pretty neat.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Oh and I thought that Hubway system was really cool. I almost tested it out after I returned the Anthem but I didn't have enough time.
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Glad to hear you found a bike and had a nice ride. Weather was great this weekend.