mtbr member

Relocating to MA (Boston area)

In the near future I will most likely be relocating to the Boston area. Heading up tonight for final interviews for my wife and I both. Hopefully we will both have new jobs in the near future. We are looking at places in Natick and Needham. I am looking for recommendations for a LBS. One with a race team would be a bonus. I am also looking for advice on local trails for after work rides, and not so local places for weekend rides. I like riding rocks. I also like a bit of flow from time to time.
    I went to college in Providence. I didn't ride much while I was there, but occasionally we would go up to Lincoln Woods to ride. Honestly it was more of an excuse to smoke weed in the woods as it was to ride In the 18 years since I graduated from college my weed smoking had greatly decreased, and my skill on the bike has gone way up.

Appreciate any thoughts, comments etc.

mtbr member
    JRA in Medford is pretty well respected by mountain bikers. I live in Arlington and frequent Belmont Wheelworks and they do a decent job as well.

Needham Town Forest has some great technical trails for short (hour+) rides after work. There are also a decent network of singletrack trails throughout Weston & Wellesley that can be linked together.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    JRA has a race team, although they are in Medford, slightly north of Boston. I would suggest a NEMBA membership. Guess you would be South shore chapter or Greater Bosoton there. I'm a NS chapter member. Check out the North shore, Greater Boston and Merrimack Valley chapters on FB. Lots or posted rides as well as trail days and events. I would also recommend the NEMBA racing team. At least to check them out. Cutler woods is near you, Rocks? Come to Harold Parker SF in N. Andover. Plenty of rocks. Could get 40 miles if you connect adjoining properties. Also land Locked Forest In Burlington is right at the 128/rt 3 interchange.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great info. I will check out NEMBA. It's great to hear there are nice technical after work options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Natick and Needham both put you within 30 minutes of PLENTY of trail options. I'm in Framingham and often head a little west to get to some very fun locations (Rayburn, Singletary, Sutton WW, Goat Hill, West Hill Dam, and of course Vietnam). Massachusetts terrain varies by the 8th of a mile, so almost every trail will have something for you.

There's a very large and fun MTB community in this state if you network it and get to know the people. NEMBA is a great organization (check out the FB pages for the chapters) and I highly recommend it. As you decide where your skill and riding skill are, you'll find the trails and riders to go with it.

Good luck on your interview and move!
    Riding bikes rules!

Just a flesh wound
    You would also be very close to Hale Reservation and Noanet woods. They are in Dover. The other thing you can do is explore Strave segments. Choose one of the top ten riders and click on their ride. You can find lots of good loops this way.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep you're in a great place for riding if you end up around Natick and Needham. I ride all the places mentioned and they're solid trail networks. You should also check out Landlocked Forest in Lexington and Russel Mills in Chelmsford.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2015 Trek Farley 26fat
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. After spending the weekend in the area it looks like we will be in Cambridge. Looking forward to exploring the local trails. I will look for group rides as the move date gets closer.

Just a flesh wound
    The Fells is the closest to Cambridge, though there are some pretty cool Urban style rides in Belmont and Waltham. Lots of woods and sneaky trails there. Lynn Woods is on your side of the city as well. On any weekend, you are within one hour of a host of places to ride. Blue Hills, Wompatuck, Vietnam and others posted earlier. Welcome to here! Post up and I'd be happy to show you my place (Wompatuck). Also, you can drive North to Highland Bike Park just North of Concord NH. Great lift served DH stuff. Then you can keep going up to VT and ride the Kingdom Trails. 3 hours away.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    ^ that's funny whompy is my backyard as well. Great place to ride

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great info. We should be there around the end of the month.

How is the winter riding up there? Some trails around here turn to shit for the winter, but the rockier ones are usually good when not covered in too much snow.
    When there is a lot of snow on the ground are there any trails groomed for fat bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    When there is a lot of snow on the ground are there any trails groomed for fat bikes?
    Russell Mill in Chelmsford is a popular winter destination with an active group to groom the trails. Trails from the Jenkins lot in HP are also groomed a few days after a snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for all the great info. We should be there around the end of the month.

How is the winter riding up there? Some trails around here turn to shit for the winter, but the rockier ones are usually good when not covered in too much snow.
    Usually riders of fat, pack with snowshoes. And depending on snow depth, riding fat helps pack the trails as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    A few of us have been getting out with snowshoes to Vietnam when possible, as well. It's packing well - off again tonight for more!
    Riding bikes rules!

mtbr member
    I have been here for a little over a week, and so far I love it. Trails have been great. I have ridden Landlocked Forest, Fells, and Harold Parker. Trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. My legs are toast at this point. I might just go for a spin around Landlocked again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Needham town forest, trails around gloucester like old B&T, lynn woods, vietnam if you like less XC style. not recommended with tired legs except needham maybe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been here for a little over a week, and so far I love it. Trails have been great. I have ridden Landlocked Forest, Fells, and Harold Parker. Trying to figure out what to do tomorrow. My legs are toast at this point. I might just go for a spin around Landlocked again.
    Just a heads up, the Fells are closed for the month of March for MTB. Hopefully they'll open it again in a couple weeks early because the trails are really not far off from being ready to ride. They do enforce, too, especially on weekends. The only legal trails for MTB in the Fells are the Green (mtb loop) and Orange (reservoir trail), plus almost all the fireroads. They enforce this too especially on weekends... and there's a pretty active anti-mtb group called the Friends of the Fells who take it pretty personally. So if you do happen to accidentally ride a different trail, maybe keep it off Strava!

Generally, the trails are crap in March (freeze-thaw cycles make trails very susceptible to damage) but it's been such a low snow year that everything seems to be either in decent shape or will be shortly.

Some other areas to check out -

Harold Parker (hope you like rocks)
    Willowdale (northeast of the city, fast and smooth, unlike most of the trails around here)
    Bear Brook - about an hour north in southern NH, but it has killer trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hit a couple NEMBA rides if you can and get tours of Russell Mill/Great Brook in Chelmsford/Carlisle and also Lowell-Dracut-Tyngsborough Forest. Or just download some maps and go exploring. Lots of fun stuff.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.