mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Ravenswood Park - Gloucester, MA

Anyone ever ride here?

http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to...wood-park.html

I highly recommend Ravenswood if anyone is ever in the Cape Ann (North Shore) area. It's where I first got into mountain biking. One ride here and I was hooked.

It's got fun rock gardens, but it's surprisingly fast riding. Technical, but flowy. Fun climbs and even better descents. Good for both hardtails and full suspension bikes alike. Lots of granite, pine trees, and some roots. The dirt is really nice, not too dry and not too wet. Drains nicely.

I hardly ever see mountain bikers here, but you do see them from time to time. The trails are shared by people hiking as well as people walking their dogs, so just be aware.

I'm always looking for new people to ride with, so PM me if you're in the area.

Here's a map:

http://www.thetrustees.org/assets/do...-Trail-Map.pdf

I recommend the Ledge Hill Trail (you get a nice view of Gloucester Harbor from the high point of the trail)

In terms of the numbered trail markers I go 1 to 3 to 5 to 6 to 10 to 9 to 11 to 12 to 21 to 22 to 23 to 20 to 15 to 2 and finally back to 1.

I like to ride my bike.
    Yeah, it is a cool place, but aren't there some trails closed to bikes? I remember when I rode there a lot, I always saw the same guy...every time. Blue Enduro, anyone?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bikes are allowed in Ravenswood, but not Magnolia Swamp which merges with Ravenswood. The trails in Ravenswood are better anyway.

Not me. I used to ride on a white and red Raleigh M40, but now ride a brown and black Specialized Rockhopper.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mmckechnie View Post

mtbr member
    nice video rundown of the trails there, Hopefully i'll get a chance to check it out over the summer.... as well as nam, lynn woods and the trail of tears.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Keepthechange View Post
    nice video rundown of the trails there, Hopefully i'll get a chance to check it out over the summer.... as well as nam, lynn woods and the trail of tears.
    Let me know if you are ever up here. I'm always happy to ride with someone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Who did I see at the start of the ledge hill trail yesterday?

JBH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula View Post
    That's just wrong

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    MM- Do you ride anything else in the area? I've heard dogtown is supposed to be decent? I'm looking for new trails to try, I've only lived here for a short time, so any suggestions you have for the area's most technical trails would be appreciated. I'm a regular at LW but I've not ventured North too much other than Highland and B&T's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Ravenswood is pretty nice, I've spent some time there and there are good sections. Dogtown is a lot bigger than Ravenswood, but has some parts of it that should be avoided (they are difficult to even walk a bike through), so it's good to go with someone that knows the place. B&Ts is a lot more technical than either of those places, though.

Outside of Gloucester, Greenwood in Beverly is pretty awesome and somewhat technical.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Chocula View Post
    So true...I'd rather watch grass grow.......CF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    MM- Do you ride anything else in the area? I've heard dogtown is supposed to be decent? I'm looking for new trails to try, I've only lived here for a short time, so any suggestions you have for the area's most technical trails would be appreciated. I'm a regular at LW but I've not ventured North too much other than Highland and B&T's.
    I ride all over. Ravenswood is my home trail network though so I go there often. I really like Harold Parker State Forest, Willowdale State Forest, and Foxboro State Forest.

Ravenswood definitely has some technical sections. Some of the climbs are really tough and some of the downhills are pretty bomber. There is tons of rocks and roots to contend with in both directions. Short ups and short downs. I haven't cleaned everything yet. But I'm much better than when I filmed that edit. I have another edit in the works that is much better than the one I posted. I need more footage though.

I haven't been to dogtown in years. Mainly because its really confusing and I'd want to go with someone who knows it well. It was amazing the last time I rode there though.

Of the other 3, Willowdale in Ipswich is my favorite. I actually ran into 2 Cannondale sponsored riders there which speaks of the caliber of the trails. Its a pretty confusing place, but getting lost in the miles of flowy, fast, fun singletrack is part of the experience.

Let me know if you ever want to ride together.